Mittleschmerz (ovulation pain) info...quite interesting

Charliemarina

expecting #4
Reaction score
Mittleschmerz is also called ovulatory pain or ovulation pain and rightly so.

Mid cycle pain usually start suddenly, coinciding with the moment of release of eggs from the ovary. It is normally a dull pain, occurring on the right or left lower abdomen, depending on which ovary just released the egg. The pain could last from a few minutes to 3 to 8 hours and then disappears.
In some cases, the pain of mittleschmerz may be sharp, severe, cramp-like like menstrual pain it self, lasting a few hours or up to 3 to 6 days.

Mittleschmerz could occur every month or sometimes once in three to four months.

This pain could be severe in some young ladies, causing them to bend over, mimicking serious causes of lower abdominal pain like appendicitis, twisted or ruptured ovarian cyst, and even appendicitis.

What differentiate this pain from the appendicitis, ectopic pregnancy or ovarian twist or rupture is the fact that this pain is recurrent, over months, and all investigations or scans done will come back to be normal.

Mittleschmerz is thought to be due to an accompanying slight bleed into the linings of the wall of the pelvis called the peritoneum at the moment of the release of eggs during ovulation. Ultrasound scan at mid-cycle has been reported to detect a more than usual amount of fluid in the pelvic pouch in as much as 40 percent of women.

Free blood in contact with the peritoneum causes irritation, transmitted as mid-cycle pain.

The bleeding may even track out as vaginal very small vaginal spotting.

The pain is usually in the lower abdomen, right or left side depending on which side an egg is released from.

The pain could be so specific that a woman may be able to tell from which ovary she has released an egg for that month. It may be severe enough to cause disruptions of normal day to day activities.

Not every woman who ovulates feels or experiences mid-cycle pain. It occurs in 1 in 5 women.

Typically, mid cycle pain is common in young women (in the adolescent age group) within a few months to years of starting her period or menstruation, commonly seen in the 11 to 30 year olds, though this pain can occur at any time up to 45years of age.

Mid-cycle pain or Mittleschmerz could be confused for, and needs to be differentiated from appendicitis if it is occurring on the right or in the right ovary, and can also be confused for ectopic pregnancy if there is associated vaginal bleed or spotting.

:flower: :flower: :flower: :flower: :flower:

hope this helps some ladies as i had this terrible side pain today and am due to ov now have all the signs and this totally fitted in with the way it came on the disappears then comes bk over a period of few hours, good job we had our :sex: today also gutted FF took away my ov from CD18 BUT had brillaint temp drop today pos opks yesterday and cm everywhere today so got a better chance oving now too yay xxxx

I have had a few people present to hospital with mittlescmerz - it can be really really painful!

Interesting...

Since the birth of my son 14 years ago, a week after AF finishes, I get horrendous pains that last 20 mins, 3/4 times a day going down to once a day at 2am in a morning for about a week.

I have to admit to being a baby when it comes to operations and things so when I went to see a gyno he said it may be endometriosis or ovulation pain and a laproscopy would see, but I didn't go to my follow up appointment!

According to my ovulation calendar I ovulated Friday, but yesterday the pains started and today I have had them 3 times already. I bought a FR Ovulation kit last month but hadn't used it yet so I POAS today and it shows there's no LH Surge....so there's a possibilty it may have been yesterday.

Thanks for posting this - I get really bad OV pains that last for hours.

Any ideas about timing though... is OV pain when the egg is released or does the pain happen and the egg comes out a while after...?

Any ideas?

I wondered this too Cazd. This month I had mid-cycle cramping on day 16, and spotting on day 17, so tyring to figure out if any of these days was my ovulation day so that I can work out how long my luteal phase is. No one seems to be able to shed any light so far!

it can be before, during or after ovulation which really isn't helpful is it!

Thanks for posting this - I get really bad OV pains that last for hours.

Any ideas about timing though... is OV pain when the egg is released or does the pain happen and the egg comes out a while after...?

Any ideas?

its when the egg is being released from the folical (sp?) i think and they associate the pain with the fluid that is released with the egg they say that depending on the amount of fluid it can be more painful for one woman with more fluid and less painful or even painless for another with alot less fluid, well that's what i got from the info i been reading on today so it defo when egg is being released into fallopian tube huns xxxx

No - typical, there's never a straightforward way of knowing! Going to start taking temp too so hopefully be able to pinpoint ovulation this month!

Well I had super-strong Ov pains on CD13 - but temps didnt go up 'till CD16!

I'm gonna go by the Ov pains though :happydance:

I get it really badly too. Had it for about 6 years. I get it in two spells, one 24 hrs before ovulation where i can pinpoint which side the egg folicle is on. The second spasm is stronger which is at ovulation and it feels like someone is stabbing me in the pelvis.

I have had to stop walking in the street when it hits me as i feel i cant take another step till it passes. It makes my toes curl right up and i feel like im shooting up in the sky. It is a really strong spasm which is ten times worse than any cramp i get on my AF

Just to bump this up some:

I experienced this the last cycle and I thought I could just bawl up and die. The only thing that would soothe it was a warm bath and then straight to sleep. It would go away then come back until I was done ovulating.

Hi-I have been ttc for 11 months-and never noticed Mittleschmerz before but have been seriously charting everything this month so watching for it. I am pretty sure I felt it from about 10am-2pm yesterday on my left side. But the OP didn't surge until this afternoon, which had me assuming I was going to ovulate either tomorrow morning or night. Is this about right or have I already ovulated if I had that yesterday? I have a 26 day cycle and yesterday was only day 10. Thanks!

I think I had this on CD10, I felt really crampy, sore right side and when I went to the loo I started soptting pink/light brown when I wiped. It lasted a day then the next day had ewcm with streaks of blood. I'm thinking I ov'd early this month. We bd'd on cd 7, cd9, cd11 and cd 13. So fingers crossed we caught it

I am 52 years old and experience this for several days every month when I ovulate, usually 2-3 days. I have not experienced menopausal symptoms yet so be advised when "they" say this can happen til your 45 years old. Really depends on your own genetics and family history. Every woman should be able to tell what's going on inside her own body. Better to be aware than ignorant, n'est pa?

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
An1583
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->