Mixed Feeding

WackyMumof2

Reaction score
I was adamant I was going to exclusively formula feed #4 but now I'm not so sure. I don't want to breast feed at night as I tend to fall asleep as a result so I plan to mix feed with breast during the day then any expressed milk and formula at night. It allows me to establish a night routine too. Anyone done this?? I'm so not going to create habits of co-sleeping again.

I would maybe ask in the bf section. My assumption is though that without feeding at night to start you won't keep your supply going. I had to mix feed from 6 weeks (I had to start expressing rather than feeding from the breast because I developed an allergic reaction on my breasts that needed to heal, but couldn't pump enough). Even with waking to pump every time my daughter had a bottle during the night (so usually 3 times a night) my supply still completely dried up by 10 weeks. The night feeds are what tell your body how much milk to make for the next day (never mind you'd be terribly uncomfortable going all night). It might be something you could do more easily after about 4 months when your supply is more established though. That doesn't mean it's not worth a try though. You never know you may have oversupply anyway. But no harm in trying if you won't be too heartbroken if it doesn't work out.

That said you don't have to co sleep just because you're bf. I did because I loved it and we got so much more sleep that way. But I have several friends who easily bf for at least a year with babies who slept separately from the start.

I'd be pumping too but loosing a supply would be my main concern. But I think there are things I can take to help prevent that. I only don't want to co-sleep because DS3 won't sleep in his cot at the moment (to be fair, the house has gotten cold even with the fire so I'd rather know he's warm) and DS2 it took 6 years to get out of my bed. Lol.

Hormones at night tend to be higher so you get a better supply if you directly feed at night. I had to pump at night because my daughter couldn’t latch properly for a while and we needed to keep my supply going and get expressed milk to top her up with and honestly the whole rigmarole of warming bottles, feeding her, settling her, then off to pump for 20minutes EVERY 2hrs was exhausting. When we finally got her feeding properly from the breast it was bliss to pop her straight on for 15mins then straight back to bed. Not saying it is impossible but you might be better doing a bit of direct night feeding. Could you read a book or surf the web to stop you dropping off?

I'd be pumping too but loosing a supply would be my main concern. But I think there are things I can take to help prevent that. I only don't want to co-sleep because DS3 won't sleep in his cot at the moment (to be fair, the house has gotten cold even with the fire so I'd rather know he's warm) and DS2 it took 6 years to get out of my bed. Lol.

Hi,
this was my big problem too, I quickly lost my supply and I soon had to exclusively formula feed my baby. But actually I really enjoyed formula feeding my baby as well as my husband did. We did choose to use organic H and my hubby loved that he could also be part in the feeding process. It made life way easier as we could also split the different tasks.
When our baby girl turned 2 she was already sleeping in her own bed but I have to tell you this was not an easy process :D
I think it is great when you are using a bump and combine breast milk and formula.
Everything's going to turn out fine!
Leonore

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
gaiangel
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"