mixing medicine in with food...

Discussion in 'Toddler & Pre-School' started by NickyKB, Oct 1, 2013.

1. NickyKB

NickyKB Well-Known Member

My LO is on antibiotics (amoxicillin the bright yellow 'banana' flavoured one) and he hates it. we're only 4 doses in and he's just outright refusing it. He's always been good about taking medicine before so I don't want to force him to take it from a spoon/syringe and end up with him refusing other medicine in the future. At lunch I tried mixing it in with his yogurt and he ate it all no fuss didn't even seem to notice anything different.

We've got 6 days left to go and i don't really want to mix it with yogurt 3 times a day as I don't want him to come to expect yogurt with every meal. what else can I mix them in with???

2. _Vicky_

_Vicky_ Mum to twins

If just go with the yogurt personally if it's working - how about mixed into milk? Can't remember how liquid the abs are. Mashed up banana?

3. seoj

seoj Our family of four...

Mixed in with fluid is fine too- my LO just got off antibiotics- I asked if it was Ok to mix with her milk or juice in case. Lucky it was bubble gum flavor and she likes it well enough. I think the pharmacy mixes in whatever flavor they choose (as what they have)- so maybe next time ask for a different flavor? Never heard of bannana before- I doubt my LO would like that either. Can't hurt to ask... if not, just mix with the yogurt/drinks for now ;) Least that works! I cannot get my LO to take her allergy medicine (only comes in grape) so we put it in her morning milk-- even though she doesn't mind the other grape flavors like childrens Tylenol when needed- go figure.

4. NickyKB

NickyKB Well-Known Member

Ah ok thanks, the chemist had said to mix in yogurt if he didn't like it so I didn't know if there were foods I couldn't put it in.
    That's great thanks I'll probably stick with the yogurt for now as at least he's eating it whereas most food and fluids are a bit of a battle at the minute whilst he's ill....

I didn't know I could pick a flavour I will definitely ask for different next time (which hopefully won't be for a long time!)