Moby Wrap???

Discussion in 'Natural Parenting' started by ahcigar1, May 31, 2011.

1. ahcigar1

ahcigar1 Happy Mother of 1

Was suggested to try and post this hear as better spot for it.

So hubby and I have been looking at buying the Moby Wrap. He wants it so while he is working he can still cuddle the baby etc and still work with no issues since he works from home. I would like it cause while out shopping or something my hands would be free and would be much easier.

What are your experiences with this item? Do you love it or hate it? Also was wondering how would I breastfeed or hubby bottle feed with this? Can't seem to find any video tutorials of how to do either. And it would be a huge help at minimum if hubby could use this while bottle feeding when he is working so he will still ahve one hand free to do his job.

Any tips, instructions, reviews would be greatly appreciated. Thanks in advance.

2. fluffpuffin

fluffpuffin Well-Known Member

I liked my moby but didn't use it as much as I thought I would as last summer was very hot. With the moby you're wrapping a lot of material around you which in the heat of summer I found too hot to wear constantly. If your hose has air conditioning it may not be a problem though.

Personally I never fed her in the moby, I would always take her out. I hope someone else can advise on the logistics of that.

As for working whilst babywearing - I'm not trying to put a downer on the idea, but there's no way this would have been possible for me. Isla loved being worn, but I had to be on the move constantly, not sitting down, especially as she got older and got more nosy.

3. Surreal

Surreal Me + Little Man = Family.

I /loved/ my Moby, and made a lot of use of it. As mentioned above, one major issue is in hotter weather, baby will /bake/. I would take Elijah out in it in ten degree weather, and he would be fine and toasty -- so that gives you an idea of just how good it is at keeping warmth in.

Also another thing is, if your baby turns out to be a big one, you'll only make use of it for a couple months before baby is too big. :( I made use of the Moby for two, three months(from birth) before I had to stop wearing Elijah in it, because he was attempting to push himself out.

In all honesty, if you want to make longer use of it, I might suggest a wrap that's less "stretchy". As much as I loved my Moby, I just didn't get to use it long...

4. StarlitHome

StarlitHome Tropigoth Mama to Two

Ok, I live in Hawaii and it is warm all year round here. I was planning to get a carrier like a Moby, but should I get something different? I really don't want to bake my baby!

5. Surreal

Surreal Me + Little Man = Family.

I have heard that woven wraps are better breathers, so baby cools down easier. Hopefully someone can give advice on those, as my knowledge on woven wraps are limited. :(

6. wishingonastar

wishingonastar Well-Known Member

i have a woven wrap for emily and find it more breathable than the moby i used with isabel (plus a woven wrap lasts into big baby/toddlerhood as not stretchy like a moby - with a moby and a heavy baby you'd have to keep retying it and/or wouldn't find it overly supportive)

you can definately breastfeed in a moby/woven wrap... here's link to one video (i've not viewed it to check how clear the instructions are but when you click on the link there are links to other videos for it too on the right of page) https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TLduLJFSJn4

7. wishingonastar

wishingonastar Well-Known Member

you can also breastfeed in a meitai and can use with a newborn which is cooler for both parent and baby as less material...it's not everyones cup of tea for a young baby but is good for older ones for many peeps.

i wore emily around london when she was 4 weeks old in my meitai as didn't have my woven wrap at that point and i BF her on london tube train! it wasn't my finest moment but i achieved it to stop her crying!!!!

8. Jenniflower

Jenniflower Well-Known Member

We couldn't live without our moby! We bought a very light coloured tan organic cotton one and have never had any issued with the heat. Mind you it's not hot now but back in april all we did was wear her in the heat and she wat fine. Just put her in a vest and she loved it.

As for feeding I can't help you on the breast feeding front as I wasn't able to in the end but for bottle feeding it's been amazing! There's a hold where you put them in the wrap with their side on your chest/tummy instead of their tummy. If you manage that wrap then when they're hungry you can just pop a bottle in. After I feed her I just turn her around slightly in the wrap and burp her.

I will say though the wrap isn't too easy to just throw on. If you're going out you have to prepare first by wraping the moby around you then getting in the car. Or else you risk all the bits rubbing all over the ground and getting dirty.

I prefer our ring sling for a quick feed or if we're out with the buggy but she's fussing I just throw her in that now. If I had the moby wrap I'd have to faff around with 6ft of fabric in the middle of a mall and not too keen on doing that the few times I have.

Still love our moby though as it's not too difficult to just plan ahead. The moby is usually our wrap of choice when going to church or out to a friends house as she feels most secure in it.