Molars... how do I survive?

Discussion in 'Toddler & Pre-School' started by stardust599, Nov 20, 2011.

1. stardust599

stardust599 Well-Known Member

Please tell me this will be over quickly!

My LO is awful awful awful! She is cutting her 2 bottom molars and I've never heard screaming like it today. She goes from happy to screaming and biting in seconds. She has a mild fever and is eating everything in sight too. I just ordered an Amber Teething Necklace incase it helps. She has been so off the past few weeks and I think this is why, I only noticed yesterday when she got this bad!

I can feel them bulging under the gum but they haven't cut yet.

To make things worse she is refusing to nap so her tiredness is making her worse and she is waking at night :-(

With teething before I've only ever had to use the odd dose of Calpol during the day and a dose of Nurofen during the night but nothing seems to be helping this time. I normally use Nelsons Teetha but I'm not sure if they've made a difference before and they are expensive! xx

2. AlwaysPraying

AlwaysPraying Mom of two!

My guy is 14.5 months and I'm still waiting for his molars! I've been blaming everything on molars since he was 12 months old. He'll have a few bad days / nights, and then a few good ones. I really don't know if it's teething, but I'm waiting and waiting.

One thing someone suggested to me was to give him frozen peas and blueberries to eat. They will taste good and feel good on their gums.

3. stardust599

stardust599 Well-Known Member

She hates peas but loves blueberries so I'm going to put some in the freezer tonight for snacking on tomorrow!! Thanks for the tip!

Ah, you will know when it's molars if he's as bad as my LO, there's no mistaking it. xx

4. Gingerspice

Gingerspice Well-Known Member

My LO is only just cutting hers at 19 months. We've not had it too bad. She wakes screaming a few times in the night, but other than that aren't needing to many drugs etc.

5. hattiehippo

hattiehippo Well-Known Member

Tom was pretty bad with 3 out of 4 of his first molars - he got them from 12 to 14 months one after another and we went through a lot of calpol and nurofen. Nothing else helped really. I found he'd have a day or 2 with each of them just being miserable and screaming on and off and then they'd be ok again. For some reason 1 of them came through with no fuss whatsoever.

We're waiting for his 2nd set to start soon at the mo - I'm liking the idea of frozen blueberries and peas. I might try raspberries too cos he loves them.

6. beatnick

beatnick Well-Known Member

we are on the molarcoaster too. we had a week of nappy rash, squits, wakeful at night, meltdowns... you name it.

things are currrently quiet (ive heard they take months) and i can see the bulge under his gum and feel a bit of bumpyness but nothing still.

i think you batten down the hatches... use what you can... abesol, calpol, teething gel, amber necklace (it cant hurt) and remember you might be in it for the long haul!

7. shampain

shampain Mum to Patrick! :-)

You NEED anbesol liquid...lifesaver! It instantly numbs the gums and you can use it every 30mins too i think. Its a bit pricey but it saved my life when paddy was cutting his.If she has a dummy pop it on that, if you're brave put it on your finger and if not on a cotton bud! Hugs xx

8. Siyren

Siyren Guest

ugh lyssa just has her last 4 molars to come through, (which im pretty sure they're starting now, we've had a week of hell sleep wise!)
    we find nelson's teetha amazing!! we usually give them in conjunction with calpol for teething as we find the nelson's give the instant hit, and then the calpol kicks in and take over, with molar we have to give a half dose of nurofen too.

i should add, i dont condone pumping drugs into your baby :p lyssa has a heart condition, and the three things mentioned are the only things she can have, no anbesol no teething gel, she doesnt like teethers and she wont wear a teething necklace, during the day we often give her home made ice lollies too, oh and the half dose of nurofen is the max she can have cos of her heart x

9. LPF

LPF Well-Known Member

Anbesol is brilliant - we've had one tiny bottle for ages and just dab it on when he's bad - works really quickly and he always calms down.

10. BethK

BethK Well-Known Member

Definitely recommend Anbesol liquid, you get it over the counter at a chemist.

11. mumnbean

mumnbean Well-Known Member

My lo has been screaming and kicking the last 2 nights, although not actually waking up. I gave her panadol last night and went to buy an amber teething necklace this morning. This is the last set to come through, but geez it seems to really bother her! She has started biting me the last few weeks, so should have known it was coming really...

Every other set she has had 4-7 teeth come through at the same time, so its probably all of them bothering her now.

Hoping they all feel better soon.... Poor things!