Mom vent. Small pelvis remark.

nullaby

Reaction score
Ugh I'm so irritated. Talking about the soon delivery of baby and my mom says hopefully your baby will fit. :dohh:Huh?? She said (back in the 1960s) her Dr said she had a tall girl pelvis and wouldn't be able to fit a baby bigger than 6lbs. Her babies were 6-7lbs so I said obviously he was full of shit and she tells me she's worried as my belly is huge and baby might not fit.:growlmad: I'm 5'8" and since I don't have a gap between my thighs she says its narrow hips.

My first vbac baby was 7lb 4oz pushed out in 30 mins, didn't get stuck, so I know its probably old medicine she's quoting but I'm mad! I don't need any doubts and I have been so excited for my waterbirth. I told her I trust my body and baby and hung up. Furious!!!

I would ask her where she obtained such amazing knowledge to diagnose CPD from a visual glance when doctors require x-rays and additional information for it. Maybe she's just gifted... (or not). I've had two shoulder dystocia babies, and yet I can fit a baby. Magic!

I definitely would have come back with a smart ass comment. Lately everyone around me seems to think they're medical and parenting experts. I keep asking them if they got their PHD in Google ;) So far it's shut them all up!

:dohh: I tend to just ignore silly comments people make during pregnancy they are so unhelpful. Thing is that by arguing all you do is get wound up and really they never listen anyway, it ends up being a waste of good air. You know it's total rubbish, we have been birthing babies for an awful long time :lol: there are plenty of stories with tiny mums having big babies with no problems and you don't sound like you are one of them. 'Back in the day' doctors seemed to just want to scare the crap out of mumsamd sadly women had no other option but to believe them as information was just not as readily available as it is now.

the size of your hips don't matter at all.

from the outside, i look like i have NO hips. i'm very petite and also built very narrow in the hip region. however, when midwife gave me a pelvic exam at 37 weeks during my first pregnancy, she remarked - great pelvis! you shouldn't have any issues (bc i was afraid narrow hips meant i was more likely to have a c-sec). i ended up squeezing out my 8 lb, 3 oz baby with no issues, so don't listen to your mom!!

Thanks ladies :hugs:

I definitely would have come back with a smart ass comment. Lately everyone around me seems to think they're medical and parenting experts. I keep asking them if they got their PHD in Google ;) So far it's shut them all up!

Ugh I know!!!! It seems my mom, and both MIL won't leave me alone with their advice and concerns. None of them seem to think medicine has changed in the past 30 years and its driving me mad!!!! Lolol

Those are my favorite! Lol. So much has changed in 30 years and they just don't realize it!

My Aunt is 5ft2 and pushed out an 11lb4oz baby with no problem. I'm sure you'll be just fine. I don't understand why people think they are being helpful when giving potentially scary advice to people. Especially first time mums. It often causes more problems than what would have been there if they kept their mouths shut.

Best of luck, sure you'll be fine.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
An1583
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->