Monday

lozzy21

Mummy to Niamh
Reaction score
On monday iv got a follow up appointment with the consultant and im dredding what they will have to say.

With Niamh i was hoping for a homebirth but that went out the window when my waters went at 35 weeks. I managed a natural birth to an extent, i only had gas and air but needed a drip once i was fully dilated as my contractions stopped. Niamh ended up having shoulder dystocia fairly badly and came out swolen, black and blue.

Im dredding they say for any future pregnancys i will need inducing or worse, a section. I know babys health comes first but feel gutted i may never get my intimate home birth i dreamed off.:cry: They were around 15 people in the room when she was born.

Don't get upset hun! There's no way they can say anything about your next pregnancy because they have no idea how it'll be. Imagine all those women who have had csections. I'm sure most of their consultants would say they can't have a VBAC but they do! Some even have a HVBAC!

I'd just go in with an open mind and see what they have to say. My speech would basically be that I am going to see how things go with each pregnancy and take them as they come. Do they know the reason that your waters went early at all? Do you know if having had a previous shoulder dystocia means you're at more risk of one next time or not?

No reason why they went early, i think she was just fully cooked.

I wouldnt even worry about next time honey. Get over this time first. x

Im fine with what happend with Niamh, whats done is done. Its next time thats stressing me out

I didnt mean it like that I mean you've only just had a baby 2 and a bit weeks ago! Enjoy her a while before stressing about the next one :)

I know, im being daft thinking about the next one but they scared the hell out of me sugesting id need a section with my next while i was still in stirups waiting to be stiched.

:dohh: Gess ill just have to wait and see what they say.

Only time will tell but one thing is for sure. There's no point worrying about it now because it wont change what they say. Enjoy your baby. Time goes so fast and these are precious, precious days. x

Just got back, dont need a section next time but they want me in the hospital. I can cope with that.

Hi hun, thats good news at least and must be a massive weight off you, my mum had to have forceps with both my eldest sisters; it wasn't dystocia but she had an anterior lip that took ages to soften and dilate properly and by that time she was just completely exhausted, and with the policy in those days of pushing with strirrups flat on your back things weren't on her side. With her next one though things were a lot easier and by the time she had my sister close in age to me; she got her homebirth and this was back in the day where they'd very rarely 'allow' it. My sister also had to be induced with her eldest; as the placenta had almost completely torn from the uterine wall; these days it would have almost certainly been an emergency c-section but instead she had a very traumatic forceps birth. With her next one they insisted it was in the hospital even though it was 10 years later; but her youngest was born at home with no pain relief at all. And with me I had to have an episiotomy with my first and he ended up being really squished and traumatised as he'd pushed himself all the way down but his head was too big and not moulding properly to come out; with my second the midwifes did offer me homebirth but as I was at my parents and due to my first experience I said no; with my youngest though I had a homebirth and all went fine. I don't know how many you're planning but I know lots of ladies who had traumatic first births and eventually had a homebirth with no problems. Its very very rare for ladies to have several traumatic births unless there is an underlying problem and then they probably would be advising you to always have c-sections.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
oneandonly
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->