money, grants, SMP and SSP

pictureperfec

mummy to Saskia
Reaction score
right, im 20, i live at home with my parents and am signed off work sick..

ive been signed off work since feb due to hyperemis and then low blood pressure causing me to black out (im a waitress so collapsing after any period of time stood is very unsafe!) i collapsed and banged my head in feb which is when it was decided i wouldnt go back to work (blood pressure still hasnt stabelised and i still cant stand for long amounts of time.)
when i was working i was earning £550+ a month
now im on sick pay i get £320 a month.. i was reading a thread in 3rd tri which was talking about SMP and someone said that if youve been signed off sick in the 6-8 weeks before your mat leave you may not be able to get SMP, or that SMP would be 90% of what youve been earning in them weeks.. which is 90% of £81.. which is nothing :(

im really struggling with money right now as im single now (when we found out i was preg i was with babys dad and we had £1000 coming in between us each month)

ive applied for income support as with all my outgoings im really struggling, but i have to be earning less than £50 a week to qualify for this.. and also because i cant get income support i cant get the maternity grant which they still do.. i guess ill have to wait untill after baby is here to get that?

i guess this is why i still feel so anxious about everything.. although i have most things ready for her i dont have anything ready for myself yet! i have nothing for hospital bag, i hardly have any clothes that fit, and things are just getting harder.. :(

sorry its so long!

Hi. I don't have much help I'm afraid but I too am gonna be a single mum, I'm living in my mums flat & I'm just back at work after 6 months ssp, pretty much skint, totally clueless abt my future, money, housing. Feel pretty low& just wanted to tell u ur not alone xx

Hi. I don't have much help I'm afraid but I too am gonna be a single mum, I'm living in my mums flat & I'm just back at work after 6 months ssp, pretty much skint, totally clueless abt my future, money, housing. Feel pretty low& just wanted to tell u ur not alone xx

:( its horrid isnt it :( thankyou for replying though. it really is difficult :(

Hi hun,

I'm so sorry that you're having to go through this. It does suck I agree but yes unfortunatley its true. You have to be back in work 15 weeks before your due date to qualify and they will then take 90% average of your previous 2 months pay before that date to work out your SMP. If you dont qualify then you have to claim Maternity allowance. I had to go through this with a fine tooth comb as I have been off sick since Jan but I had no choice to go back to work this Fri in order to qualify in enough time to get SMP. I agree we dont get half enough support. Try giving your local job centre a call and ask for their help as to what your entitlements may be. They are your best bet and they can also put you in contact with other organisations that can help you. Good Luck.xx:hugs:

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
An1583
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->