Money worries

bjl1981

Reaction score
Just been looking at finances, and I'm starting to realise how tight money is going to be:dohh:
We are already very careful with money, and I'm sure for the first few months we'll be fine, but I was hoping to take 12 months off, but I'm not sure we can afford to have no wages coming in from me for those final 3 months :(
Anyone else have the same worries?

Im self employed so if i dont work i dont get paid, i should be able to get maternity allowance but i think ill be able to 'afford' 3-6 months off then ill be back to work, but baby comes to work with me! Ive started to put a bit away now into a seperate account for when the baby is here.

x

We do yes, I have no job at the moment and molly is finishing her nursing course.
The first few years will be tough as I am not qualified to do any high paying jobs, but Molly will finish her nursing course after her gap year to have the baby and then finish it, meaning a nurses wage will be coming in XD

Money is always a worry in our house thanks to a mountain of debts left from more frivolous times before we were together. We're gradually paying them off and thankfully should have a big chunk paid off when bubs gets here.....Actually worked it out that we'll be better off when bubs gets here (not by much but might actually be able to have a few luxuries, like nice loo roll! :rofl:) I wont be able to stay off when my SMP runs out though, so I get 10 months in total with annual leave etc added on. Sounds like a lot but I'm sure it will fly by :cry:

Yeah , we are really struggling at the moment too, I have 3 jobs, 2 of which I do from home, and an evening job. My DH has a good job, but we are a bit the same as you aimee-lou, and have debt from years back when we first got together and didnt realise what we were doing, so there is a fair chunk of our income going on debt!! I havent bought a single thing for baby yet, as I know it sounds terrible, but I can't even afford to take £5 off my weekly budget and get some vests or bibs etc! Dont ask me how we will be affording the bigger stuff!! We are hoping DH has a new job by the time baby comes along, as although he has a good job, he is getting crap pay at the moment as he has taken a cut due to the whole credit crunch! I just wish I kept stuff from having my DS.............stupid I know, but we didnt think we would be able to have another!

awayagain, I know how you feel! We are struggling until October and then it should all come together at least in a small way. I think the key is to balance your outgoings with what you need. I'm sure like me you have your budget off to a fine art, but I have found that by just adjusting some things and forgoing some luxuries for a while (we have cancelled our sky TV for 6 months for example) you can find that extra little something. Get some stuff onto ebay to earn some paypal credit and then you can get quite a lot off stuff off ebay. (That's my trick....makes me feel like I'm being really cheeky and spending loads....hubby says it's recycling!) My other tip is talk to your debt companies. I've re-arranged all my re-payments so that for the time-being we can afford to spend a little more. Also, don't forget the HIP grant at 25 weeks....£190 doesn't sound a lot but it can go a long way if you shop around.

Best of luck and I'm sure that bubs will want for nothing!!!

We are worried about money too. We know things are going to be extremely tight when baby arrives. My OH currently works 48 hours a week and is getting paid minimum wage. He is looking for another job. So hopefully we wont be struggling for much longer.

I think its always normal to worry hun. Unless anyone is lucky enough to not have financial worries then there will never be a "perfect" time to have a baby. So many things can happen. DF and I were quite comfortable and have been for quite a few years! I get pregnant and he gets made redundant! I try not to let it stress me out and believe that everything happens for a reason and we'll be OK in the end :)

After your SMP runs out you can claim job-seekers allowance (I asked on the tax credits helpline) so at least you would have £60 a week - hope that helps x

Yep exactly the same for me hon. DH is adamant I'll have the time but we just simply can't afford nothing for those three months.

golcarlilly. . .jobseekers is £50 a week but gets paid every 2 weeks. It changes to income support at 29 weeks. If your partner isn't earning much. . .look into working tax credits. X

I think it is completely normal to worry. We are doing well now, but I am worried for my job. I have a feeling it will not last until I have the baby. I am trying to save, but have not made cuts yet. I will wait it out and see what happens, but I think it is normal to worry. Love the ebay idea. I have done that for years. If i want something new, I sell something old to pay for it. I call it recycling, too...LOL. imagine this will become more necessary if we end up in a pinch, but at least I will be home with the baby for a bit and have the time to do it. We wouldn't qualify for anything because DH makes too much anyway, problem is, my debt is something he cannot pay for. If nothing else, I would have to find a way to keep paying on it and bring in a little extra in order to maintain, but we'll be ok for a few months, at least.

We are soooo worried about the money issue. Me and my boyfriend sit and just....think and get all worked up, but we should be okay. We have to be, ya know? But its sooo scary

I'm sure it musn't have been this hard years ago, but I'm so pleased to be having LO that we'll cut back wherever we can. I already buy on ebay and from charity shops.
My mum says she'll look after LO when I go back part time, but I can't claim any child credit for that, so I might look into 1 day a week LO going to nursery if that would be paid for. Anyway, I'm a little less stressed than last night when I wrote the original thread and Im sure things will work out :)

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
An1583
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->