Montessori?

CeliaM

Pregnant mom of 2
Reaction score
I'm considering putting my 5yr old into Montessori this fall, rather than public kindergarten. He's been in a non-montessori preschool up till now, which has been fine. The reason I'm considering the change is because he's behind in his fine motor skills, a situation which I feel confident he'll improve on with time and a bit of extra effort at home, but I don't want him to feel discouraged and frustrated and left behind in relation to the other kids in his class. Plus, from what I've read of Montessori theory, it's something I do agree with.

So I'm wondering if there are parents here who have any experience or thoughts on the matter. It's expensive, and I'll definately be stretching the budget to afford it. Plus, it's far less convenient for me as far as time and location.

Thoughts?

Can't really give you any advice since I hadn't heard about it until now.
But after googling it, it sounds quite interesting. If we could afford it, it would be definitely something I'd look further into.

But in the end, whatever you decide will be ok. You know your son best :hugs:

I considered Montessori for my LO. I love the theory and we have a school really close by and it's not any different cost wise to other private day care. In the end the only thing that put me off was the principle - she was all over the place scatty and I like at least the adults to appear to be organised! :)

Theres a couple near me. I always wondered what they were about. Im going to investigate now.

It sounds fantastic! Thanks for bringing this to my attention. Had a brief look at one near me. Meadow will be going to nursery sometime next year and it sounds really good.

I was sent to Montessori when I was little, and loved it... I think it really did go about teaching kids the right way, from what I remember, so yeah. I'd go for it, I think...

Just adding my opinion as it is different to all of yours....(guessing you want to hear all thoughts). My daughter goes to nursery and has done since she was 5 months old. I was recently looking at other nursery's which open longer hours...anyway, I came accross a montessori nursery local to me and I have to say I am not keen on the way they run their nursery.
My reasons are this, I belive children need to grow up understanding they cant always do what they want, when they want too, they need to have structure and work together in a group which is prepafres them for when they eventually go to school. I belive montessori makes children spoilt as they always get what they want and they do not have much guideance as there are many different tasks taking place as the children want to do different things and only x no of carers.
Like I said my opinion is not right or wrong, nor is yours, just different. Anyhow, either way I hope you find a nursery you like. In the end i stayed with the one she is in as it's amazing and she is well ahead of her ago education and development wise.
xxx

Just adding my opinion as it is different to all of yours....(guessing you want to hear all thoughts). My daughter goes to nursery and has done since she was 5 months old. I was recently looking at other nursery's which open longer hours...anyway, I came accross a montessori nursery local to me and I have to say I am not keen on the way they run their nursery.
My reasons are this, I belive children need to grow up understanding they cant always do what they want, when they want too, they need to have structure and work together in a group which is prepafres them for when they eventually go to school. I belive montessori makes children spoilt as they always get what they want and they do not have much guideance as there are many different tasks taking place as the children want to do different things and only x no of carers.
Like I said my opinion is not right or wrong, nor is yours, just different. Anyhow, either way I hope you find a nursery you like. In the end i stayed with the one she is in as it's amazing and she is well ahead of her ago education and development wise.
xxx

i think you have a few misconceptions about the montessori method - either it was explained incorrectly (hence, it might be applied incorrectly, too, which wouldn't be effective) or it wasn't explained fully.

the montessori method primarily aims for independence: the goal is to help mold people who can do things on their own - starting from feeding themselves to learning by themselves. not to say that there will be no guidance.

real montessori teachers are trained to be facilitators. they are there to guide the children towards what they need to learn based on their age and pace. there is actually quite a range of montessori materials which children have to learn how to use (first with the guidance of the teacher - called directress in the montessori classroom - then on their own, then, after working on it for some time, perhaps in collaboration with another student in the capacity of co-learner or teacher).

they cannot always do what they want. there is freedom in the classroom, yes, in the sense that children are not asked to always learn in a group as teachers spoonfeed them information. they have the freedom to choose which of the materials they would like to work on, true, but directresses would've made sure that the children know the proper use of the materials they choose to use or are directed to use. respect for the materials and their proper usage, and respect for their environment and peers are of prime importance in a montessori classroom, as well.

montessori classrooms are all about structure. all materials are placed right at the same place they will always be. the materials are to be used as they should - most are self-correcting which would be, by its nature, an organized sort of equipment (how can something non-structured manage to correct itself?)

children are often introduced to materials individually (but not always), true. however, they are not meant to work on their own all the time. sometimes working with other people is essential (try doing bank of beads all by yourself and see how non-fun it could possibly be). working with materials whilst teaching the younger students in class also encourages social interaction as well transferrance of knowledge essential in the 'teacher's' own personal learning.

there are many tasks going on at the same time, true. but each one, if the class is done right, is very structured for each student. each activity they are to do for the day is actually decided on based on the student's individual learning. they work on quite structured materials at their own pace and based on their age and stage. they have individualized lesson plans which monitors their own individual learning.

each of the montessori materials in the montessori class - from basic spooning exercises to the more complex grammar boxes, number rods, multiplication and division boards, etc - is designed to encourage children to learn on their own using repetition, learnings/skills/concepts from simple to complex and transferrance of knowledge.

this method is actually more known to be strict and precise than other methods - but it is sometimes mismanaged and loses its original essence.

i know it was an opinion, and there are no wrong and right opinions. however, i would suggest that one researches more in-depth into the subject or visit a few more schools before forming opinions which are only based on either a few readings or a school or two claiming they are montessoris. it takes a lot of work managing a montessori classroom and a lot of training to become a directress worthy of the philosophy and method. it saddens me to think that a school or two claiming the montessori name can leave such an impression on people.

(sorry this is sooooooo long, i just felt that a few points needed to be clarified.)

I have been to a montessori primary school and loved it. I would have wanted to put my kids on it but it is not around here.
I think it is wonderful that they put the children as individuals, you are allowed to explore your own way, even though you still have to learn all the normal things, but you can do it in your own paste. I think it does help a child to find his likings in life more than a 'normal' school. And especially since they have to choose their careers so young in life it might help.

I have to say that wasnt my experience from looking round a UK Montessori school. I LOVED the way it was run and the whole ethos. The only thing that didnt go in this particular one's favour was when we went in the office and the manager seemed very disorganised but the Montessori principles were being put in to practice very effectively.

i think i would have to visit the school or nursery before making my mind up, there is one local to us that i may have a gander at now
x

lauraperrysan, no worries about it. cors an opinion is an opinion, no right or wrong about it. i just thought to clarify a few points which might have been mis-understood or incorrectly explained. :) i hope you find a montessori working well as a montessori so you can see what i was describing. :)

Thanks for all the viewpoints! I've got an appointment set up to visit the school in a couple days, plus I'm going to phone around and see what occupational therapy is provided in public schools, and if the private montessori school compares in that. I'll also have my sons written report from his visit at the child development centre by then, so I can discuss it with the director there and see what the input I get on that is.

This decision is stressing me out!!!

Have you considered home schooling? :amartass: I know that some homeschoolers use the Montessori method, among others. There are GREAT home school resources available- many are low-priced and free, which would help you give your child the best without breaking the bank. (I don't know how much your school costs, but I imagine even the home school resources I'd consider "expensive" would cost considerably less than a school would)
Here's a link you may want to check out. Whether you decide to home school or not, you could still implement some great home school resources to help your child thrive (especially if you opt for public school). If you have any questions, contact me at [email protected] Good luck whatever you decide!!!

I went to Montessori from 2-6 years old. I was able to read at 3 years old, and was hand-writing in cursive by 5 years old. I knew simple addition and subtraction before entering the first grade at a traditional school. My experience was that in going to a different setting after Montessori, I got a little lazy. Maybe that's just me, but I didn't have very good study skills until later on because I didn't struggle much in grammar school. As a college student, I can read and comprehend material fairly quickly, so it cuts my study time. My niece also went to Montessori from 2-5 years old. When she went to a traditional public school in kindergarten after going to Montessori she struggled quite a lot. She hadn't progressed as much as I had at her age, and had trouble with math and reading. Personally, I think that a traditional school is just fine for children. Most of the stuff I learned, my mother reinforced at home and worked with me quite a lot on. My niece is now in an advanced math program at school, thanks to myself, my mother, and her mother (my sister) all taking turns tutoring her after school. After we got rid of the Disney channel on the TV, and coaxed her into reading more, she won't put a book down. I also found that the Montessori method seems to work for certain personality types more than others.

I went to a UK Montessori and would love to send Freya to one when she is older. For us it all comes down to whether we can afford it at the time. I think they are great. :)

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
oneandonly
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->