More info about breech babies

Celtic Dragon

Reaction score
I asked my midwife about the likelihood of LO turning before D-day yesterday... She said there were different types of breech positions, so it depends a lot on how baby is lying. If they have feet tucked up in "foetal" position, they are quite likely to do a forward roll and get into place. If they are "extended" breech (which mine is!), then their legs are straight out and feet are by their ears. Apparently, this is most commonly missed, as the head can feel a bit like a bum in this position. They are less likely to turn and aren't very likely to be able to be born naturally... She also said you could have combinations of one leg up, one leg down, etc.

The other factor she mentioned is how much space the baby has - I've got a short torso, so she didn't rate my chances of the baby turning. If you've got a longer body, then you might have more room for baby to go naturally.

She did say that babies sometimes just decide to turn from the most awkward positions at the last moment and you can never really tell, but she was recommending I look up C-sections...

As for turning (ECV?) - I asked her about the risks involved. She said the risks are significantly less than years ago (when they used to just give baby a shove and hope for the best and sometimes ended up with placenta abruptions and complications) - they now use scans to determine exactly where the placenta and baby's limbs are to work out: a) whether it's possible to turn the baby and b) which way is best for the baby to go (so they can push on the right bits!).

I'm just repeating what the midwife said - I have absolutely no medical expertise of experience in this area, but thought it might be useful for some people.

It would be nice to get some hope from anyone whose baby turned from extended breech so I can still cling to being able to have a vaginal birth... Otherwise, I'll just have to make the most of the positives of a C-section (and decide whether to tell MIL the date if it comes to it!).

Good luck to all the breech babies out there!

Thanks for the advice, I am not sure how my baby is lying as it keeps flipping from transverse to breech but at my last appointment the MW thought she could feel legs up near its head. I am having a scan next week to check the position and as I am seeing my consultant afterwards, I guess he will run through my options with me. Its bummer that extended breech babies are less likely to move, especially if you have a short torso (me too, I am just 5'2").

I am really hoping baby will move as we have been doing Hypnobirthing and I have actually been looking forward to being able to use all I have learnt, for now I am trying to remain positive!

Good luck to you too x

hey hun how many weeks are you ?
my best friends baby turned at 37 weeks from extended breech shes only 5 ft 4 in too. she did say it hurt though all that squiggling round on babys part she actually had bruises but she did turn !!! 2 days earlier shed been booked for c section cause dr said no way would baby move !! never say never !!!

I'm 34 + 3, so there's still time yet.... I guess the baby'll decide in the end! As long as we're both healthy, it doesn't really matter, but I have kind of psyched myself up for labour and was sort of looking forward to it in a bizarre way. Fingers crossed that it behaves itself like your friend's!

There is still time!!

My little girl had been breech, with her legs up over her head all the way through, she had never once been head down (I get 4 weekly growth scans, and it was funny to see)...I have a high anterior placenta too, which apparently can make it a bit harder for them to turn.

Well last week at 34+3 I had a consultant appointment, and got a bonus scan as 2 midwives couldn't agree on babies position, one said head down, one said breech...I was still feeling she was breech too...and the scan showed she was now well and truly head down...and I had never even felt her turn!! :haha:

I am 5ft8, so guess I have a longish torso...saying that, it is now bloody uncomfortable with her head down!! After spending weeks and weeks breech I had got used to it, and now she nudges my minkymoo, and my tummy feels so tender where she has turned.

hi there i really wouldnt advise a ecv i had one with my first born ad i must say its the worst pain ive experienced in my life and baby didnt turn i had a elective c section because of a failed ecv and i must say its not as bad as some people make it out to be yeah you have a slower recovery but it didnt hurt all that much. if you want any mre info message me as i dont really want to scare anyone lol

Thanks for that info! I'm exactly the same as you (baby is extended breech and I have a short torso!) but I am hanging onto the hope that he will turn at the last minute. Even if I get to 36 weeks and I'm starting to think about booking in for a c-section etc I will still in the back of my mind be hoping for a normal birth!!

It can happen right at the last minute, so that's what I'm holding on to! Also the mw told me good posture helps! SO I'm doing lots of sitting up straight and bouncing on my exercise ball!

Good Luck, I hope our babies turn for us!

xxx

The only thing I did differently, which I think may have encouraged her to turn was cleaning the oven 3 days before my appointment!! :haha:

Spending a good hour on all fours with my head lower than my bum, which must have been one hell of a sight; apparently could have given her the extra room she needed to move around...but who knows!!

Thanks! Mine is extended breech at the moment, but I have a uterus abnormality so I kind of expected it. She's not got the room to turn. Its so uncomfortable though, with her head shoved right under my ribs!

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
gaiangel
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->