Morning Sickness/Running in your family?

Mrs. Vet

Reaction score
Everyone keeps telling me I might not throw up as my mom and my grandmother never did with their kids. It is to comfort me I guess, I have severe emetophobia so I am trying anything to avoid throwing up!
Is there really a genetic factor?

Did you get the same ms/no ms as your family?

not sure if its a genetic thing but with my son i had no morning sickness at all but with this one on the way i have it even though nothing severe

My morning sickness is severe and I throw up daily. My older sister was barely sick at all. I honestly don't think there's much of a genetic link and that it's more of a case to case thing, as people will experience various degrees of sickness with different pregnancies.

Hi there, I'm quite badly emetephobic as well, so I totally understand your worry! I've always been desperate to be a mum but it took me a while to take the plunge due to my phobia.

I'm 10 weeks pregnant and have unfortunately suffered with severe 24/7 nausea but not much throwing up. My mum didn't get morning sickness so I was hoping it was genetic! My granny (mum'a mum) had it quite badly. So sadly, I don't think it's particular genetic :(

My main recommendation is to make sure your doctor knows and hopefully is understanding of a very real phobia. Mine have been brilliant. Pre-pregnancy we discussed coping techniques and medication risks/benefits. I did my best to cope for a couple weeks when it started but when I actually started being sick, I lost it. Full blown panic attacks, crying all day, I wasn't coping. So I went to my doctor and we agreed medication was the way forwards for my mental health. I'd stopped eating and was boarderline going into hospital with dehydration. So I've been on them ever since. They've barely touched the nausea at all but I've not been sick since. And that's taken away the panic and fear for me massively. I do have days (today is one of them) where I feel quite close to being sick and I cry my eyes out but overall I've been able to get to work most days and get food and drink down me!

I keep everything crossed for you that the non sickness keeps running through your family! Good luck Mrs Vet!

My mom was horrendously sick through both pregnancies with me and my brother. I thought I was in for it when I got pregnant. I had zero morning sickness though. My symptoms have been very light, so I lucked out.

Hi there, I'm quite badly emetephobic as well, so I totally understand your worry! I've always been desperate to be a mum but it took me a while to take the plunge due to my phobia.

I'm 10 weeks pregnant and have unfortunately suffered with severe 24/7 nausea but not much throwing up. My mum didn't get morning sickness so I was hoping it was genetic! My granny (mum'a mum) had it quite badly. So sadly, I don't think it's particular genetic :(

My main recommendation is to make sure your doctor knows and hopefully is understanding of a very real phobia. Mine have been brilliant. Pre-pregnancy we discussed coping techniques and medication risks/benefits. I did my best to cope for a couple weeks when it started but when I actually started being sick, I lost it. Full blown panic attacks, crying all day, I wasn't coping. So I went to my doctor and we agreed medication was the way forwards for my mental health. I'd stopped eating and was boarderline going into hospital with dehydration. So I've been on them ever since. They've barely touched the nausea at all but I've not been sick since. And that's taken away the panic and fear for me massively. I do have days (today is one of them) where I feel quite close to being sick and I cry my eyes out but overall I've been able to get to work most days and get food and drink down me!

I keep everything crossed for you that the non sickness keeps running through your family! Good luck Mrs Vet!

So it seems ut doesn't say much if it doesn't run in he family...

I had one day of bad nausea and panic attacks so far. Talked to my doctor tge next day, I had already been on B6 and she also gave me something homeopathic and the actual meds in case I need them.
Have stuck to the homeopathic since and the last 3 days I've been pretty much ok. But I am also only 5 weeks so it could be a coincidence and could hit me bad again any time so I am still scared every day.
I hope it won't and that I will be able to relax at some point... :-/

My mother and sisters were never sick and didn't understand when I became so sick. One thing I can tell you is that somehow you will manage to get through it if it happens, and you will be ok. And also rest assured, zofran will not let you throw up, no matter how naseated you are. So it's great to have on hand. I understand you pain.

I don't think it's a hereditary trait. I do believe stretch marks are but not morning sickness. My mom didn't get it and I have with all three to varying degrees. She doesn't understand where I'm coming from when I'm upset about smells and such.

I think it's partially genetic and partially not. As in, you're more likely to experience it if your mom did but it's far from a guarantee. Each pregnancy is different as well. So far I believe I have it worse than my mom did. My MIL didn't get it at all, so she has trouble relating when I talk to her about it.

I understand it's a phobia for you so you're going to likely want to take one of two paths.
One: aggressive anti nausea treatment. Speak with your doctor about getting an array of pregnancy safe medications and start taking them sooner as opposed to later. This should help prevent the onset of symptoms, and reduce their severity if you do get morning sickness.
Two: Consider this an opportunity to try and face your phobia. I've read that one of the best ways to treat a phobia is exposure therapy. Therefore, allowing yourself to face the possibility of being sick may be a treatment option for you. You'll have to decide for yourself if you're ready to try though, perhaps through discussion with a psychiatrist who would help guide you through the process. You would probably still want to have meds on hand just in case.

Judging from your posts I'm seeing a lot of fear about facing the phobia so I'd lean towards recommending option one. Your doctor and pharmacist should be able to ease any worries about taking meds during pregnancy; there are a good number of options for nausea these days.

Best of luck. :hugs:

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
gaiangel
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->