moses basket-crib-cot?

Jodie.82

"Earth & Angel mama"
Reaction score
help please! I went shopping today to try and find what baby things are available where I live, which is in Cusco, Peru. I was slightly worried there wouldnt be a lot of choice but now I´m really stressing out as all we could find anywhere were what I would call a travel cot, plastic sides or mesh and a plastic mattress thing, almost like a play pen but also for baby to lay in :nope: Im getting really worried Im not going to find any proper baby moses basket or mattresses anywhere, what do people put their babies in to sleep in this country?! only one place had a sort of basket but it was more like the top of an old fashioned pram and again the mattress inside was sort of plasticy! all our furniture for our flat we have had made so im sure it wouldnt be hard to get a proper wooden cot made, but as for the mattress? :shrug: has anyone got any suggestions as im really worrying what my baby is going to sleep in! :cry:

I have no idea I'm afraid! Maybe ask your doctor or midwife whenever you next see them to find out if there is anywhere you can buy what you are looking for? Xxx

Not sure if this is a long shot but could you mail/online order the type of mattress you want? I guess that'll depend on where you are, delivery charges etc. Do you know anyone else with young kids around you? I'd just start asking around locally.

We are using a travel cot / playpen with bassinet in our room for the first 6 months but we've also bought a foam mattress as the one that came with it is too hard. Perhaps you could find a mattress?

Jody can you contact the UK embassy or a advocate group for infant sleeping? Or maybe even contact one in UK or your home country so they can help you? It seems like countries with high infant mortality rates have advocates for SIDS (sudden infant death syndrome in US) and other sleeping education programs. They may be more than happy to help you get a safe sleeping are for you LO. I am sure you can order one but I hate to see how much shipping would be, and I have heard shipping through customs can be expensive and take a very long time!

Did you try going to Lima. In south american countries sometimes just the big cities you can find everything you need. I don't know how big Cusco is, but I bet that in Lima you will find more options. Or you can try Argentina or Brazil (online), there I am sure you can find (I say these countries because they probably have a much lower import tax than the UK or the US).

thanks everyone! I think I will be trying all of the above now ive calmed down a little bit and stopped stressing! I did think of online, but the shipping is going to cost the earth and customs can be a nightmare ive lost a lot of things my mum has tried to send to me :(
I know I can get one in Lima though, but its 24 hours there on a bus! but OH´s mama lives there so maybe she can get one and send it to me.......
Darling me......never thought of the embassy! also in Lima but def worth a try
thanks everyone :D

thanks everyone! I think I will be trying all of the above now ive calmed down a little bit and stopped stressing! I did think of online, but the shipping is going to cost the earth and customs can be a nightmare ive lost a lot of things my mum has tried to send to me :(
I know I can get one in Lima though, but its 24 hours there on a bus! but OH´s mama lives there so maybe she can get one and send it to me.......
Darling me......never thought of the embassy! also in Lima but def worth a try
thanks everyone :D

LOL, I am not really sure what they do but I would think they can refer you to safe sleeping habits! Are you there through work or military or anything? Maybe they have resources? I am having enough of a hard time finding one in the US b/c I dont like any of them! I guess I shouldnt be so picky!

Ive since been googling everything and considered doing co-sleeping but I dont think its for me, my OH smokes a couple a night so thats a no no. No im here for love ha ha! OH is flying to Lima later in June, he´s a DJ so will only be there for one night, im making him change this to two and to spend his second day baby shopping! Im just worried that by then if he doesnt find anything it will be late for my mum to send from UK! and please let him not come back with anything ridiculous!

Can you find some pics online to show him what you want? Or have him take pics and text them to you from the stores??

yeah I will def show him pics online, im more worried about the safety aspects making sure the mattress is a good safe one etc

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
An1583
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->