Moses Basket OR Crib?

QTPie

Reaction score
Ok, if you could have one (just one), then what would you have?

I had ALWAYS thought "Moses Basket" until we did a hospital tour about a week ago: the bedrooms were set up with a crib in each room ("rooming in"). When I saw it, I though "oh, actually that looks as though it might be more practical than a moses basket"...

What are your thoughts/epxeriences?

QT

Moses baskets are cheaper and you can use them with a stand and move them with you from room to room BUT a crib can be used for longer and to me looks nicer! However if you've got a cot I think you can use that right from the start as long as you follow the usual feet to foot, sheets and blankets etc rules and that way you don't have to buy more stuff! Either that or borrow a crib which is what I'm doing and just buying a new small mattress but not an expensive one as doesn't have to last!
Not helpful I know but all I can think of!!

Think Moses Basket are great. even if baby isnt in it for long. im lucky i have a crib and im getting a moses basket this time

so i say go for the moses basket x

Moses baskets aren't always cheaper if you have to buy the stand as well...there are some lovely crib deals out there if you look.

like the way you can take the moses basket to different rooms/downstairs etc if baby is sleeping and want them in the room while you get chores done.

But personally I think moses baskets don't look particularly sturdy, and I dont like the way the baby is enclosed by all that bloomin fabric - what about having a decent air flow around baby - one of the reasons you aren't supposed to have bumpers on a newborns cot??

Plus why bother moving the moses basket to be in the room with you if baby is sleeping if you have a baby monitor and could have baby sleeping in another room so you don't have to creep around.

I think a crib without all the silly frills looks much nicer than a moses basket.

I have just bought a crib from kiddicare.com

I have three cats and decided that this would be a better option as its more stable. It was £47 so cheaper than a lot of the moses baskets that i looked at.

:hug:

Good question, and this is one that i've been pondering lately!

when first pregnant we bought a moses basket with a stand - we will use it now we have it.. but I was thinking, I got seduced by the frilly-coochy-babyness of it all, and didn't have my practical head on at all!!

It's not that I think there is anything particularly wrong with the basket, just that for the cost and the relative short time they will be in it, a crib would be the way to go.. more so if I could only have one!

I have firmly put my practical hat back on, and have procured a cot bed for the move after the basket.

If there is a plus side to the basket, I agree that it is light, easy to move about and takes up little room... or am I just trying to convince myself that I made the right decision afterall!! ;-)

xx

I have just bought a crib from kiddicare.com

I have three cats and decided that this would be a better option as its more stable. It was £47 so cheaper than a lot of the moses baskets that i looked at.

:hug:

Kiddicare keep having great deals on their cribs and mattresses you just have to be quick!

out of those choices I'd say crib, but in reality we're getting one of these,.

https://www.thekidswindow.co.uk/images/CMScontent/Image/49180.jpg

I have both! but thats because thats what my mum decided and bought lol!I personally perefr the look of the crib but the moses basket it much more practicial, i.e you can move it!

So i know have a crib for upstairs, a cot bed in the nursery and a moses basket for downstairs :S

We're getting a crib, because baby can sleep in there until they can sit up (about 6 months) vs a moses basket which you can only use until about 3 months but also a travel system which includes a carrycot, which will be the portable sleeping device.
DH was also concerned about the stability of a moses basket stand if he accidently kicks it in the night (he's very accident prone, I had to catch a glass that he knocked off the coffee table last night just by walking past!)

I think it's personal preference though, if you're happy for baby to go into their cot at 3 months then I don't suppose it matters, get whichever you prefer.

We had both for Alex. He preferred his moses basket with the rocking stand. Moses baskets are movable so can have downstairs which is what I did whereas the crib stayed upstairs obviously. I didnt want to leave my baby in a room on his own. The moses can last up to 3 months max where as a crib upto about 6 months. If you have a netto near you look out for a crib in there, we got a koochi one (same as cosatto) which sells in tesco for £100 for £30!! thats the only reason we had both. xxx

Ive got my moses basket and the stand for £29.95 off this site, theres some really nice ones and really cheap..delivery is £5.25 so not too bad either. Theres others on there that arent as cheap but are still cheap..thus we can afford moses basket and crib..hth.

https://www.elegantbaby.co.uk/moses...ds-starting-at-2995-fantastic-value-125-c.asp

(They also sell on amazon if you prefer to but thru those but prices arte slightly higher i think)

This is sort of what I am thinking....

I am no really considering moving a moses basket from room to room (will have carrycot from the pram etc) - so it would be just for our room. I like the idea of trying to get nap times as a more formal/routine thing (as soon as I can) and to be in a nice quiet place away from it all (so get them used to napping in a quiet bedroom).

Moses baskets do seem a little less stable to me and I am pretty clumsy (I know, will HAVE to change that... :blush: ).

I am definitely edging towards Crib... Hammock is very cute, but not for me.

QT

We're getting a crib, because baby can sleep in there until they can sit up (about 6 months) vs a moses basket which you can only use until about 3 months but also a travel system which includes a carrycot, which will be the portable sleeping device.
DH was also concerned about the stability of a moses basket stand if he accidently kicks it in the night (he's very accident prone, I had to catch a glass that he knocked off the coffee table last night just by walking past!)

I think it's personal preference though, if you're happy for baby to go into their cot at 3 months then I don't suppose it matters, get whichever you prefer.

We have one of these for our bedroom it has a little raised crib which can be used up to 6 months plus a built in change table, night light, music and it vibrates to rock the baby to sleep (not sure if this will be any good). It cost about £85 on amazon. Then we can use it as just a normal travel cot. We then have a cot bed for her bedroom. For downstairs I plan to use the pram although we have been given a moses basket I worry the dog could knock it over.

Attachments

• images.jpg
    images.jpg
    3.4 KB · Views: 17

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
An1583
Back