Move to injectables?

lilnessi

Reaction score
My DH and I are on our 13th cycle TTC. I had a chemical last month so this month we were unassisted and just used timed intercourse. Over the past year I have done a combination of IUI and femara (I last month was our 6th IUI) as well as femara/Clomid and times intercourse. We have been diagnosed with unexplained infertility as all appears to be working properly for DH and I.
I asked my doctor today about using injectables for our next round of IUI and he said we could do that but it would only increase my chance of conception by 1% (at the same time increasing my chance of twins by 50 and trip by 16). I know he is the medical expert but I find it hard to believe. Even at 1% I’m still thinking it may be worth it to at least try (since I have been unsuccessful with everything else). I guess what I’m looking for is advice, stories for those who experienced something similar? Or those who went from meds+iui to injectables and Iui and if you got pregnant how long did it take.

Sorry so long!

I think he says that because technically you conceived last month... so in reality if you are ovulating and that eggo is proven to be impregnated your chances are really high for another round to work, so adding in a new medication would increase the chances of it working very little.

I see where your RE is coming from. Using injectables doesn't increase your chances of conception much if you're already ovulating on your own, it just increases the odds of producing more than one mature follicle in each cycle, which, theoretically may or may not increase your chances of conception and a viable pregnancy.

That being said, for me its been 13 years of trying, I am taking every single chance I can, I don't care if it's 0.5%! But I PCOS and haven't ovulated on my own in over a decade. That being said, injectables is another ball game. I've seen couples with unexplained infertility end up at IVF to maximize their chances as much as possible, and go on to have healthy children from it.

I really believe that if you and your DH want to try that route you should try it. At the end of the day, you want to do everything you can to bring this journey to the next chapter, obviously also taking in account your age, financial ability, etc.

Good luck in whatever decision you guys make and keep us posted!

Thanks pinkee and promise07! My husband and i decided to try the injectables for the next cycle, (Im currently 13 dpo and although i hope and pray that there wont be a next cycle but have to start planning if there is)..i figure even if it is only a 1% increase it may be worth it since what we have been doing up to this point hasn't worked.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mummynugs
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"