Moving house with toddlers?

Discussion in 'Toddler & Pre-School' started by jen1604, Nov 17, 2011.

1. jen1604

jen1604 Well-Known Member

Does anyone have any tips for how to make the move as easy and stress free as possible?

I have a 3 and a half year old and a nearly 2 year old. We're not moving far and Ophelia will still be going to the same nursery. Just wondered who has moved with their toddler,how did it go? How did your LO's adjust?

:flower:

2. lepaskilf

lepaskilf Guest

I have no advice I'm afraid but will be planning on moving next yr when our LO is nearly 3 so I will be watching this thread :) Thanks x

3. lisac25

lisac25 mum to 2 beautiful girls♥

i moved about 3 months ago, and my little girl was fine, she was really excited to be moving to a new house, she still says now when we walk down the street to our house look mummy thats our new house haha
    we did make sure that the kids rooms were set up first so it wasnt too strange for them, and just tried to keep to the usual routines, and they have both been fine x

4. isil

isil Well-Known Member

We've done it at 1 1/2, just before 2, 2 1/2 and 2 3/4! :rofl: He was fine. Just make a big deal of it being exciting and setting their room up all nice. I put boy's toys out in his room and really, his was the only room that was ready, the first to get a proper carpet, etc! But maybe he was just forced to get used to moving lol.

5. xJG30

xJG30 Tom & Mummy <3

We moved in September, we kept Tom busy, was the simplest way.

6. Wellington

Wellington Mum of 3!

We moved with a 20 month old and a 3 month old. We'll be moving again in a few months with a now 3 year old and an 18 month old.

As others have said - I just made sure their rooms were set up fairly similarly as before, same furniture, same lay out (as near as possible), same toys in same places etc.

They came first, as most actual moving and unpacking was done when they were in bed!! The main moving was done whilst they were at nursery. This move will not involve a nursery change either, which will help. I think that was the biggest upheaval last time.

For me, it would be the little things that make them feel safe and secure. Same bath toys, same towels, same as much as possible really.

It was fairly pain free.... last time. I just hope it is this time too!

Good luck!

7. lesleyann

lesleyann Mummy

Well we have just moved!

We had the old house (small house) and the new house (big house) for 2weeks before we moved the beds over and pretty much everyday we took kyle to the big house, made sure we had toys over.. But the first bedtime here was horrible! We had loads of tears and "I wont to go home to small house next to sarahs, with friends A and H, new house too big!" but the second night he was alot better.. I would of hated to do the whole move in 1day considering how he reacted to the first sleep night and im glad he had got to know the house first so it was not totally strange

8. rosie272

rosie272 mum to charlie finn

I'll be doing it in January myself - not looking forward to it :/ Just gonna go in and get Charlie's room totally amazing for him and make sure I build it up and make it fun and exciting for him :)

9. jen1604

jen1604 Well-Known Member

Thanks girls, definitely going to focus on making their rooms all lovely first!

Good luck to everyone moving soon :D

10. JosieM

JosieM Mummy to a boy and a girl

Good to get some tips on this, we're moving in less than two weeks with a 15 month old and a 2 month old! We haven't been able to pack much yet as just getting through the normal everyday tasks is challenging enough! The new house is nearby though, DS will be at the same nursery and we don't have to move everything in one day so hopefully we'll cope! I also can't wait as our current house is too small for 2 babies and a dog. Good luck to everyone else moving too :happydance:

11. hellohefalump

hellohefalump Well-Known Member

We moved when Madeleine was two. We took the opportunity to introduce the big girl bed in her new room. The house we moved to was soooo much better and bigger than our old house and Madeleine made herself right at home straight away. The first room I got sorted in the new house was Madeleine's room so that she'd be right at home with all her toys and books and stuff.

On the actual move day, my mum took Madeleine to the zoo so that she wasn't around while we were trying to move stuff.