Mulitvitamins

Christinee

Reaction score
Since I yet to see a doctor, I am wondering what multivitamins are good to take for now. I went and purchased some folic acid today (800mg). I also have a women's multivitamin that I already had. My concern is that the multivitamin label says it has Vitamin A (as beta carotene) 5000 IU. Is this safe?

No don't take any multivitamins that are not specifically designed for pregnancy.
The vitamin a is not safe.
You need folic acid and vitamib d as a minimum, I always take something along the lines of pregnacare.
Xx

I was taking pregnacare but they didn't agree with me and literally made me sick so they were useless as I wasn't getting anything from them

I switched to boots folic acid and vitamin d, and they've been great. Tiny little tablets and don't need to take with food unlike pregnacare so ideal if I forget whilst having my dinner.

My mw said can take.multivitamins as long as getting enough folic acid in them but ensure no vitamin a

Vitamin A IS safe if it is in the form of Beta Carotene (not safe if it is derived from animals), and 5000 IU is the amount in my Prenatals. You're good there.

But it makes a lot more sense to just buy prenatal vitamins. My absolute favorite vitamin is Perfect Prenatal by New Chapter. It is amazing, I always felt great before I was pregnant while taking them and I never got a cold (still haven't), which is a great side effect. I also take Wholemega Fish Oil along with that, and I feel like I'm giving my baby really good ingredients. These vitamins are all natural and made from whole food instead of overly processed like most vitamins. Which means you absorb them better, just like food. Also, you don't have to take them with food.

Good luck!

^^^ wise words from Megan there. I'm with you totally. The right prenatal should make you feel well. Studies show that many women are actually healthier during pregnancy than any other time because we take our vitamins and eat well whilst trying to avoid toxins. I too am a big fan of vitamin D and DHA (omegas) in pregnancy.
Re : the vit D, well a couple of reasons. Here in Canada we all tend to run a bit deficient due to our 7 or 8 month snow fest when we aren't outdoors much. Also a study published last year showed that mums with therapeutic vit D in pregnancy had children with stronger muscles- that effect being observed even up to age 4.

Re: DHA- fish oil = clever babies haha! BUT it must be a safe kind of fish oil -actually saying that, mine is derived from sea algae. Sounds gross. Doesn't taste fishy though!

Hope that helps. FWIW I take Jamiesons prenatal vitamin with their prenatal DHA supplement plus a separate 1000u vit D. That's my cocktail.

Thank you everyone. I went to the vitamin shoppe yesterday and couldn't find prenatal vitamins. I only found folic acid. So I will just take those and go try and find prenatal vitamins today.

Just ask a sales person about the prenatals... they are usually in a different section and sometimes hard to find, but they definitely should have them. Where I live, you can find them at any drug store or big chain like Wal Mart. Maybe not all the best brands though, that's why I shop online.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
gaiangel
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->