Mummies expecting number 2 or more

bambino156

Mummy
Reaction score
Any advice on what I need to buy second time around? Still have dd's moses basket and bedding - do I need a new mattress for it? Plan on using our current buggy. Have got some clothes, not sure what else I need to consider, I need things to buy, lol! Thanks x

Do you still have your steriliser? I'm using the same mattress as before I think. Do you have a bouncer or playmat? Erm are you breast or bottle feeding?? Bottles? Breast pump? Bibs? Muslin cloths?

Planning to bf (all being well), so hopefully won't need to think about buying bottles etc. Have seen some nice muslins, rather expensive ones, so might treat myself and lo to those. I was hoping the mattress would be ok, it was new when we bought it for dd. Probably going to buy a nice carrier....

Planning to bf (all being well), so hopefully won't need to think about buying bottles etc. Have seen some nice muslins, rather expensive ones, so might treat myself and lo to those. I was hoping the mattress would be ok, it was new when we bought it for dd. Probably going to buy a nice carrier....

How old is your other LO? I am going to get a sling too so that I can carry him or her around the house a little easier while tending to my daughter. I couldn't have done without muslins last time around so will be getting loads of those! I'd say the mattress should be fine! I need to double check ours but won't be getting a new one unless I have to. What about a changing mat? stocking up on nappies, wipes, creams, nappy bags etc! xx

Dd is 2yrs 9mths, she'll be almost 3 when baby arrives :) Hoping to get an Ergo carrier, as you say it'll be useful around the house whilst running after dd and also dd still needs the buggy on occasion so at least I can pop baby in the carrier! Guess I could start stocking up on nappies, I'll try and find some offers on! xx

Dd is 2yrs 9mths, she'll be almost 3 when baby arrives :) Hoping to get an Ergo carrier, as you say it'll be useful around the house whilst running after dd and also dd still needs the buggy on occasion so at least I can pop baby in the carrier! Guess I could start stocking up on nappies, I'll try and find some offers on! xx

What's your due date? I'm due July and my daughter will be 2 and 1/2! I'm struggling with what else to buy too!

Due 1st May, scarily close when I think about it, lol! I love shopping so I really feel I NEED to buy things! But at the same time, I don't like to waste money so I know it would be pointless buying a new moses and buggy etc just for the sake of it! You haven't got too long either then! xx

I've heard that it isn't recommended for babies to sleep on a mattress previously used by another baby, as we were going to just re-use my sons mattress for the new baby. Apparently it increases the SIDS risk because of bacteria living in there. I guess for peace of mind we will buy another, but I am wondering if I'm being over-cautious, especially as Fin's mattress is one of those where you can take the top of it off and wash. Better safe than sorry I guess :shrug: xx

It's advised to buy a new mattress for each new baby. This is number 2 for us, we're team yellow for the 2nd time. I've bought:
New Moses basket mattress
New car seat
Some small cloth nappies
Some newborn disposable nappies
A first outfit for LO
Wall stickers, changing mat, rug and storage baskets for LO's nursery

That's it I think! I need LO to be a girl so I have an excuse to shop for clothes :haha:

I've heard that it isn't recommended for babies to sleep on a mattress previously used by another baby, as we were going to just re-use my sons mattress for the new baby. Apparently it increases the SIDS risk because of bacteria living in there. I guess for peace of mind we will buy another, but I am wondering if I'm being over-cautious, especially as Fin's mattress is one of those where you can take the top of it off and wash. Better safe than sorry I guess :shrug: xx

Thanks for the advice jojo, think I'll be on the safe side and get a new mattress. The current mattress in the moses is foam but has a completely sealed waterproof cover, so in theory any bacteria living in the foam couldn't escape anyway? Don't know if that makes a difference? xx

To my mind mattresses are like car seats. As long as you know they're clean, well cared for and haven't been in any compromising situations, I don't see the problem re-using. I have reused my mattresses for moses, cot and now Eddy is on the mattress from Earl's toddler bed in a new cot bed frame. I know what's happened to them, they're clean and have always had waterproof covers on them.

I bought a few new clothes (was team yellow so was literally a few) as baby was a summer baby and Earl had been a winter baby so bought things like rompers which I didn't have from him. As it happens Eddy is already moving into Earl's 18-24 size clothes, so I'm glad I didn't buy too many lol.

I invested in a buggy board for my pushchair. Earl was 2y7m and while he didn't use the pushchair much if at all, he did used to get tired sometimes and if I was pushing a pushchair I couldn't pick him up. I got one off Ebay for £25 and I used it quite a lot in the early days. Earl likes to walk now, so it's gone up in the loft now.

I re-bought anything to do with food so things like weaning things, bottles, bibs, muslins (although I do still have Earl's old ones but more couldn't hurt). I also bought Eddy a new highchair as Earl's old one was only a booster (we had only needed a booster with him due to our arrangements/furniture) but we needed a highchair for the new arrival lol. I mostly stocked up on a few new toys (as I thought a few new ones would be nice), nappies, summer clothes and wipes/toiletries. I kept absolutely everything from Earl, so I knew I didn't need to get much and I maybe spent £100 tops on everything we needed to top up.

This time I'm going to need to buy a new double pushchair as well as all the food and clothes same as last time. Still shouldn't cost the earth though as once again I've kept practically everything. Just need to stock up on nappies etc as they're going to be expensive from Aug onwards lol.

Ok not sure tbh. Part of me thinks I'm being daft, but then another part of me thinks that for £100 I'm better safe than sorry. The car seat thing is quite simple because you know if it's been in an accident or not (if it's yours). Whereas you can't see any lurking bacteria. I just think I'd never forgive myself if something god forbid happened and I'd ignored guidelines :shrug: but each to their own xx

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
gaiangel
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->