Mummies of Aspies - were there any telltale signs when your LOs were babies?

rwhite

Mum to Lachie and Clem
Reaction score
Heya girls :)

The reason I ask is because I'm worried that my almost 6 month old son isn't developing at the same rate as all the other babies I know that are his age, they're all hitting their milestones while he's not quite there yet.

My OH's little sister is an Aspie so I know there's definitely a possibility and I can't stop wondering what if. I try to keep telling myself that all babies are different but I'm still curious and a little concerned, would be easier if I just knew so I could stop thinking about it.

So, looking back were there any signs when your LO was around Lachlan's age (or any time as a baby really) that you had an inkling or a feeling?

Thanks everybody xxx

Ian was always very serious and seemed to study the toys rather than play. He hit all of his milestones on time except he never crawled. He went from scooting on tummy to walking. He always pointed with his middle finger. He was very sensitive to movement and would wake instantly when he was being lowered into his crib (that was lots of fun...) Sensitive to noises. I just had a gut feeling we needed to watch him closely as he developed and sure enough, he was diagnosed with Asperger's.

I brought my concerns up several times with his doctor, but it wasn't until he had day care experience with other kids that we had more of a basis to have him evaluated. Just keep your eye out for things of concern and write them down so when he's older you'll have a history to present to the doc. For now though, just enjoy him!

Adanma

I have read that there is a simple at home diagnosis test you can perform, called the tilt test.

Basically hold your LO in front of you, facing outwards, hold him at the waist and tilt him slowly left and right at a 45 degree angle. If he keeps his head aligned with body then you should refer to his doctor. A normal result would be that the baby tries to keep head in a upright position.

However I have no experience of aspergers children and this may be a load of rubbish. .

Let us know how you get on, if you do decide to do the tilt test. I'm not sure how reliable it is, but if you google it, you will see lots of references to it. Other ladies may be able to confirm / deny if this is a valid screening test.
Good luck.

I had no signs whatsoever until DD started nursery, she hit all of her milestones on time apart from walking (she did not walk until 18 months!) which i was told was normal by the doc. All children develop differently and at their own pace so don't let it worry you too much. If you are still concerned then speak to you doctor but you should probably wait a while, give him a chance to start walking and talking as if there is anything it will become more apparent then. You know your child better than anyone and if your instinct says that something isn't right then listen to it :hugs: take care xx

Thanks ladies :flower: xx

TTC LADY - He seems to pass the tilt test just fine so that is a good sign. Thanks for that info :)

my son is 6 and has Aspergers

tbh aspergers wasnt mentioned until he was diagnosed we was thinking more along the lines of autism

it started at a young age with noises (9 months old) then the older he got things became more apprent. he hated going out, hated being around people, had to have a set routine, hated new things so new clothes, even a new car was not good for him. by 2 you could hold a full conversation with him, hes never had speach delay just finds it hard to know how to communicate.

however he was not referred til he was at school (4 years) he had a ADOS assessment which was inconclusive, further tests went to show he had aspergers as there was no language delay or learning problems (top of his class for reading and maths and spelling)

kelzy: Ian walked at 16.5 months. We thought it was late too especially since he didn't crawl, but we were told it's normal?

nat: we used to call Ian the little professor because he had such a great vocab soooo early. I think a lot of aspies have that. So amazing eh?

Adanma

I was told it was normal too, i was worried about it as 18 months is very late. She never crawled either just shuffled around on her bottom!
She was also very early vocab wise and although her peers have caught up in that respect, the words she uses are so far ahead of her she shocks everyone.
These are the earliest signs i saw, the late walking being the most significantly worrying at the time. She is fine walking but doesn't seem to run as well as others her age, i don't know if this is the AS or not (i'm not the best runner either!)

Seem the late walking and early talking are present more often than not in AS (so i have found) x

Hi, My son has high functioning autism.

When he was a baby, I didn't notice anything really. He was very content and hit all milestones. When he was 13mths onwards I noticed a few things but only small things like obsessed with wheels and zips. I didn't think anything of it until he started preschool but any concern of a mothers should be investigated I think. Have a word with HV xx

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
oneandonly
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->