Mummykins back in hospital and im furious with the midwives

mummykins

Charlotte Poppys mummy
Reaction score
Ever since Mummykins came out of hospital she has had problems with her C section wound, when she left the hospital she was on antibiotics as is par for teh course I beleive with all C sections.
However mummykins felt that something wasnt right as the wound was weeping ALOT, her legs had swollen to nearly triple their norma size, she couldnt eat and keep anything down and she is a type 1 diabetic aswell and her sugars were going all over the place.
We mentioned this to the midwife that came to see us the next day and a swab was taken to check for infection. That was two weeks ago.
Since then we have had other midwives here all assuring us that all was ok and one call out GP was called when there was a big section of puss coming from the wound, again we were told all was ok.
However last night things progressed and I checked her wound as she was becoming increasingly concerned, I took the muslin square away from teh wound to be met with a gaping hole in teh wound and the most horrific stench you could ever imagine, it was so bad we were both gagging and it stank the entire flat out.
Unable to raise a doctor on the phone I called NHS Direct and spoke to a doctor there, They spoke to Mummykins for about 20 minutes discussing what had been going on this end, suddenly mummykins broke down in floods of tears and handed me the phone, the kind lady doctor at the other end explained that she had been talking to her superiors and that they were horrified and disgusted that mummyins had been discharged by the community midwives while the wound was still weeping badly, furthermore they had called for an ambulance to take her in to hospital.
Mummykins was admitted on the spot and is now back on the delivery suite with two intravenous antibiotic drips and her wound being packed in two places where she was coming apart.
Now, it turns out that when the hospital read her notes they saw that a swab had been taken two weeks ago and that it had come back that mummykins did indeed have an infection, NOBODY has contacted us to tell us or to sort out any treatment for this infection since them results came back in, if they had thenm poor mummykins wouldnt be in the state she is on now.
I am absolutly livid about all of this, if she had been treated correctly she would not be in this state now and I fully intend to seek legal advice over this (dont get me wrong here im not the type to claim over every little thing but I do feel very strongly about this)
Furthermore the hospital will not alow me to go in and take our 2 week old daughter into se her mother for fear of our daughter bringing an infection into the hospital, weve no family nearby so that means im stuck and cannot get in to see mummykins.
Mummykins will be distraught when she finds out that she cant see her new baby.
It also means that yet again I am off work so we are now losing serious money, not that money is important right now but without money the bills are going to go to hell.

Sorry for the rant but ladies, if you have had a C section and feel that something ist right, do not be fobbed off by a midwife saying its ok, its norma etc etc , get to A&E and get yourselves checked out.

God what a mess, sorry for the rant people.

Whoops, just realised I hadnt logged Mummykins out and me in.

oh my god, that is appalling!!!! u poor poor things, and so sad that u cant get into the hospital to see her! I hope she gets better very soon, and i think u seeking legal advice would be a good move, they really havent been doing their jobs!

Oh dear this is horrible. I am really sorry you are going through this, and yes do seek legal advice. This is not on!! Do you have any idea how long she is going to stay in hospital for?

I really hope for a speedy recovery!!! You should both be at home enjoying your lo! But at least now she is getting treatment for it it shouldn't be too long until its over! :hugs:

thats not on.i had a c-section and have to say that no it is NOT normal to be on antibiotics following this an if she was put on them she should have had an explaination as to why she was given them!
i am a nurse so i basically looked after my wound myself the midwives were not interested.it was really red and weeping at one point ant all they said was its fine:nope:.thankfully i knew that a dry dressing on it would help but if i had listened to them i think i would have had problems.

hope she is ok soon:hugs: to all of u

Oh that is terrible. Poor you. Hopefully it'll get sorted for you now once and for all.

thats not on.i had a c-section and have to say that no it is NOT normal to be on antibiotics following this an if she was put on them she should have had an explaination as to why she was given them!
i am a nurse so i basically looked after my wound myself the midwives were not interested.it was really red and weeping at one point ant all they said was its fine:nope:.thankfully i knew that a dry dressing on it would help but if i had listened to them i think i would have had problems.

hope she is ok soon:hugs: to all of u

Mummykins was put on antibiotics because of the increased risk with her being diabetic, or at least thats what we were told, she was in pain when she left the hospital and the painkillers she was given were nowhere near strong enough for her and had to be topped up too.

I really dont know what to make of all this. I am very angry about the way mummykins has been treated, but as a daddy and husband I wasnt listened to on the occasions thats I saw the midwives and that GP.
I KNEW something was wrong and tried to push my thoughts across, but it went unheeded.
I know my wife better than any midwife or doctor and I KNOW when she int right, these people should really listen to the patient AND to what the partner says, after all we are with them most of the time.

Hi there, Im so horrified to read your story. Im so sorry mummykins (and you) have to go through this! I am not the type to 'claim' ect but I would definitely seek legal advice on this one too - without a doubt.
As if caring for a newborn is not hard enough!!
I really wish her a speedy recovery and I hope you are also coping well with all this.
Please let us know how you get along.
Bestest wishes xxx

God u poor things - sending hugs. Hope she gets better quickly.

Thats AWFUL that they didnt contact u!!!!!! I too would be LIVID! Def. agree with u seeking legal advise, im sure u have a case for a law suit there!!!!

Hope she gets better soon and can hold her baby again.

Can u not contact a CAB and ask them if there is any sort of money u can get as ur not earning, as im sure they may be able to help???

Oh gosh thats awful :(

How long do they think she will be in hospital for? Its terrible that she cant see her own baby, especially if she will be in for a week or 2... babies need to bond :(

Definately seek legal advice, its negligence surely?

I really hope the infection clears asap and you can all go home together... how horrible for you all :( xxx

I was just thinking last night that you and mummykins had been quiet on here! I am so sorry to hear why! You have been treated in an absolutely disgusting manner! I had an horrendous infection after my c-section and ended up needing a lot of treatment, but luckily it was caught when it should be.
I hope she is better really soon, and it's such a shame that you can't take baby in to see her, I honestly thought that hospitals encouraged baby to be with mum as much as possible when mum is in hospital (not that you can't do the job, but bonding with both parents and all that).
Definitely seek legal advice and take it as far as you can, and as a previous poster said, check out with the CAB if there's anything that can be done to help! xx

pretty much had the same thing happened with my section wound but I had the sense to go straight to A&E!

Oh goodness that's awful! :hugs:
Even more awful that she cant see LO!!
Hope she gets better very soon!
I'd definitely take legal action! Can't imagine how awful it must be for you all :hugs: x

That is disgusting of the midwives, how could they miss that.

Firstly i hope you're both ok and that mummykins recovers quickly. Poor lady :(

Secondly, write a formal complaint in it's horrible enough it's happened to you, but what if it happens again to someone less fortunate :s.

Get well soon.
Xxxx

pretty much had the same thing happened with my section wound but I had the sense to go straight to A&E!

Me too.

And also the DN was checking my wound every day for a month.

V xxx

That is terrible, hugs and best wishes from Me and LO xx

any news? Hope you are all well and Mummykins is on the mend. :flower:

Thank you everyone for your support on this.
I did manage to finally get in with Lotti to see Mummykins (shift change at the hospital made the world of difference)
She has been moved onto the main ward now but is in a side room on her own.
First thing she did when she laid eyes on us coming in the door was cry, it broke my heart to see her like this.
The hospital staff, all credit to them have been brilliant with both of us, taking the time to explain what is happening and why.
Firstly the wound, its come apart in 2 places and they have packed the would as you would an absess, butone of the holes may need restitching.
Secondly she is being given LOADS of antibiotics, not by drip as per the norm but by infusion, she has had 3 lots by infusion today that I know of so they are being aggressive with it to fight the infection.
3rdly her diabetes, because mummykins is unable to eat / keep anything down the diabetic team (whom I have nothing but the utmost respect for due to the way they have always been with mummykins throughout her life as a diabetic) have taken mummykins OFF insulin and are now treating it with a new drug, not metformin as mummykins is allergic to that but this new drug is a once a day tablet in the morning, no more hypos or hypers and it SHOULD give better control once they get the regime right with it, her blood sugars were a little high tonite but this is the frst day with the tablets so they need to check the dosage and adjust it, its going to take time.
Also the antibiotics should help reduce the awfull swelling in mummykins legs.

Mummykins will be in hospital for at least 3 days on antibiotic treatment and insulin adjustment then she might be able to come home whilst on oral antibiotics and a district nurse to change the packing in her wound,

Ive contacted my work, they arent happy but Im sorry, I do not care, mummykins and lotti are my priority, we have no family close by so its just us.

We were starting to get a bit worried about Lotti today as she seemed very listless at the hospital but it was very hot in there, now she is home and in her cot she seems alot better, (I can hear her cooing on the monitor) Mummykins was given the option of keeping Lotti with her atthe hospital but she feels happier that Lotti be with me at home where she has everything she needs so ive gone with that.

So, now its me and Lotti here at home, new dad suddenly feels very lost and overwhelmed as to what i need to do (first thing was to sit and update this while I have a much needed cup of coffee).
I wish my family lived closer, Im not 100% sure I can manage this on my own so im feeling pretty emotional right now.
I still cant get over the fact that the love of my life has been treated SO very badly by professionals who are supposed to care, its actually frightening, I did raise this question with mummykins when the community midwives sigened her off after just 3 visits at home, we are first time parents, we dont have the knowledge to know what we should have expected from the midwife team, did I expect too much? did I do enough to help mummykins? Is mummykins in hospital in this state because I havent done enough or is that an over reaction?
So many thoughts going through my head, im exhausted.

Oh my goodness, you poor poor things. I hope mummykins makes a speedy recovery and will be back home with you and baby soon. xxx

Poor mummykins. I hope she recovers quickly :hugs:

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mummynugs
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"