Mummy's who have breastfed!

Discussion in 'Pregnancy - First Trimester' started by cherryglitter, Dec 14, 2009.

1. Im a first-time mummy and im just curious! I love the idea of breastfeeding, but I want some HONEST opinions on it.

A lot of my friends found it difficult due to just being so tired etc [that sounds awful..] so a lot of their babies have been bottle fed.

Im very shy and I don't like the idea of breastfeeding in public, but can this be overcome with me just expressing milk? Is this suitable? I would breastfeed in my own home, but would bottle feed with expressed milk in public.

Any knowledge would be great!! xxxx

2. holywoodmum

holywoodmum 2 girls and one cooking

I was embarassed at being in public to start wtih as the mechanics of it wall was confusing, but i went to a local breastfeeding support group and that was great cos you could practice in a safe supportive environment...
    Personally the effort to express for every time I wanted to go out would have killed it for me in the end - I only did that once and that was when I took DD in to work, and I teach, and I didn't think getting my boobs out in front of my class would have been quite appropriate!
    I fed her for 9 months in the end, and really hope I can this time too - save so much money on formula, it's so quick and easy,you don't have to pack anything to go out, and that's aside from all the health benefits for you adn the baby!!

3. It seems like a bit of a cop out, but is there anyway you can just express milk and feed that to the baby?
    I would love to breastfeed, but im not too sure how I would cope, I have no idea what to expect - with anything yet!

I know it sounds like im being really stupid, but im just curious. I want to seek out all options!! Nothing is set in stone anyway. :) xx

4. linsg

linsg pregnant with #2

Hi there,

I breastfed my daughter until she was 1, and i am also a breastfeeding peer support counsellor.

There is no doubt that breastfeeding can be difficult and monopolizing, but i found it amazing.

You would be surprised at how discreet you can be whilst bfing in public, i too am a shy person, but just using a blanket to cover you boob and the baby,(maternity tops are also good), and also sitting in corners, poeple really can't see anything. Unless of course they come right up to you and put their face in your boobs!

I could go on and on about the benefits of breastfeeding, believe me there are hundreds, the main thing to remember is that bfing for as long or as short as you can will benefit your baby. Even if you only manage a week!

Also, you should try to find a local breastfeeding support group before you have your baby, they can give you any information and support you want

5. amy2boys

amy2boys 3 boys, girl on the way!

Hi, I have alot of experience breastfeeding and expressing. I bf ds1 for 6mths then ds2 was born premature and unable to feed. So I started to express every 3hrs day and night. Slowly, slowly he learned to feed as he grew and I breastfed him until 16mths.

With ds1 I was very shy and didn't feed in public or any family (only OH) This made me feel very alone and as if I was doing something wrong.
    With ds2 I had to force myself to be open about it (was hard at first) and I breastfed him EVERYWHERE in front of anyone !! I was always discreet and most of the time noone knew I was doing it.

As far as expressing goes...I hate it. I did it solid for 3 months! It creates a problem as you try to take milk when the baby needs it and then when you feed baby a bottle your body thinks it doesn't need to make as much milk (because it thinks you have missed a feed)

A couple of things...breastfeeding IS HARD. You and your baby have to learn how to do it correctly.
    Anyone can breastfeed...if you are doing it correctly it will not hurt or make you sore.
    The first few weeks are very hard ..if you can get through these you will see the amazing benefits.

My breastfeeding times are the best in my life...the closeness it gives you and your baby...something that only you can do...seeing your baby grow from your own milk
    Totally amazing.!
    Good Luck!

6. linsg

linsg pregnant with #2

You could express your milk, but eventually (prob after quite a while) your milk supply will reduce because a breast pump cannot stimulate the breast the way that a baby can. I'd say its doable though if there is no way you can breastfeed

If you have any other questions i'll answer if i can, or try to find out for you

xxx

7. scrummy mummy

scrummy mummy Baby number 3 on board x

i absolutely loved breastfeeding- and like you was very shy- but when it came to feeding my baby i didnt mind just had a blanket draped over me then no one can see anything, i would defo recommend feeding yourself i did have a few rough patches but that was easily sorted with some nipple shields which helped for a bit- i never expressed milk i personally didnt like it and thought when you can have fresh milk available then why faff about with a bottle....
    everyone is different though and you could always try and if you really didnt like it switch to bottle-

and i will defo be feeding this time- cant wait! :happydance:
    :hugs:

8. winterdeep

winterdeep Well-Known Member

I breastfed my daughter for a year. I found it very simple and could not imagine sterilizing bottles or warming milk when whipping out the boob is just so easy and covering with a blanket in public is a non issue. I think I found it so simple because I had never heard of it being difficult. I intend to nurse this new baby as well. However, I also never gave her to a sitter until she was weaned which could be hard on some people.

9. vicwick

vicwick Expecting baba #2

Hi hun

I'm still BF my son who has just turned 1 and will be BF my 2nd too. I had a lot of trouble to start with as Alfie was vontouse delivery which caused problems with his latch but i am so so happy i stuck at it. I am so proud i was able to do it for him and i love the time we spend together when he feeds. I am a BF peer councellor so if you have any specific questions i will be happy to answer them for you xxx

10. sweetniss113

sweetniss113 Well-Known Member

there are also blankets that snap or fasten around you and baby so no one can see. but yes you can express/pump your milk and bottle feed the breast milk if you prefer. I have had 4 kids all breastfed til at least 1 year old. and I used to pump and let others bottle feed baby.

11. lumpybumpy

lumpybumpy Well-Known Member

HI Xrosanna
    I was very lucky and found B/F very easy, my LO latched on from the word go with no problems and so I never needed to express, although it is a huge tie to yourself. If your shy about feeding in public just start by going round to close friends houses and practice there or at a support group. I think everyone is self concious to begin with but you'll be amazed at how discreet you can be so it looks as though you are just having a cuddle.
    As far as expressing, my mid wife didn't recommend it for the first 6 weeks until your milksupply is well established. A friend of mine tried when her lo was only a couple of weeks old and it affected her supply and she struggled to produce enough for him when she bf . The friends of mine who used electric pumps seemed to have a lot more success at expressing than the ones who used a hand pump. I tried a hand pump once and it took me 2 days to produce half an Oz even though I knew my little one was getting plenty when she fed. I gave up trying to express after that but I think it would have worked had i perservered!!
    Anyway, good luck with it all.

12. Beltane

Beltane Mother of 3 Boys!

I breastfed both my sons and will be breastfeeding this next baby as well. I know lots of women that pump and feed with no problem. Lots of luck to you. It's very rewarding!

13. mememe84

mememe84 Well-Known Member

Hi i am a first timer too and i am hoping to breast feed hopefully it'll work out x

14. vicwick

I would also highley recommend going to your local breastfeeding groups where you can get support and have a chat, it isn't as scary as you may think, i was very nervous about going to mine for the 1st time as its easy to think people will judge you especially as a 1st timer i was petrified incase people thought i was doing it wrong but the girls were so so supportive and now a year down the line i have some amazing friends. I think having support there is a huge help.

You could even go along in your 3rd Tri and meet everyone to get to know them and and questions then once baba is here you wouldn't feel so self concious feeding in front of people especially if you feel you will be embarassed? Just an idea. I never thought i'd be confident enough to feed in public but no matter where we are now i don't think twice about feeding Alfie its such a natural thing

15. Plus2

Plus2 Mummy to B&M&N, my world!

I breastfed my babies - It wasn't the easiest thing to get the hang of, but when you do it becomes much easier.
    I think it is a lot different with Twins though, I seem to have spent the 1st few months with my boobies hanging out, lol.

16. -Hug-

-Hug- Mum of 2

Hi! I BF my DS til he was 14 months and only stopped so I could start trying for this baby! I found it hard in the early days, just because baby is learning how to feed as well as you. Once we got the hang of it I loved it! Don't get me wrong, there were days when all my DS wanted was to feed and I wanted a rest but it was just so satisfying knowing that all the weight my little baby was putting on was due to me!

One tip in public is to wear a vest top under your top so when you are feeding you pull your vest top down under your breast and lift your top up. It means your belly is still covered and your breast is too by your top! So cheap and easy to do! I fed in public for probably 9 months then I started getting funny looks. Sad really...

17. -Hug-

-Hug- Mum of 2

Hi! I BF my DS til he was 14 months and only stopped so I could start trying for this baby! I found it hard in the early days, just because baby is learning how to feed as well as you. Once we got the hang of it I loved it! Don't get me wrong, there were days when all my DS wanted was to feed and I wanted a rest but it was just so satisfying knowing that all the weight my little baby was putting on was due to me!

One tip in public is to wear a vest top under your top so when you are feeding you pull your vest top down under your breast and lift your top up. It means your belly is still covered and your breast is too by your top! So cheap and easy to do! I fed in public for probably 9 months then I started getting funny looks. Sad really...

18. Thanks for all your input ladies! It's brilliant.
    Breastfeeding is def something im going to try! I can't imagine anything being more beneficial! There is no harm in trying! I could lose all my inhibitions and love it and not care anymore haha!!

I just want to be able to express if needs be, so baby can still have all the benefits of being breastfed but the convenience? I guess!
    Although what's more convenient then popping your boob out whenever you need it haa!

What's the average age that LO's are breastfed up to? x

19. vicwick

The average age is Uk is 6 months but accross the world its until they are 4 which is amazing. The WHO (world health organisation) recommend that children are Bf til they're 2 (minimum of 6 months) to get the FULL benefits of BF but they do have benefits as long as you carry on, for both mother and baby. Its amazing for the mother aswell as the baby, decreases the risk of allsorts including breast cancer, cervcal cancer, ovarian cancer and MS to name a few. I'm gonna feed Alfie til he self weans which quite possibly could be durin my pregnancy as a lot of toddlers wean when the mother is pregnant, if he doesn't i will be trying tandem feeding which should be interesting lol

20. ryder

ryder Mum to Jasmine & Peyton

I tried to bf for the first month. But after a really long, hard labour, and just being so tired and sick feeling it didnt work. I also didnt have my hubby here alot of the time to help or cook for me etc. Also I found it very painful, I did have help with a consultant, but it still hurt alot.

I will attempt it with this baby maybe. But im not disapointed with my choice with Jasmine, once I stopped trying to bf and just gave formula she slept better and we were both much more relaxed.

Also Jasmine has always been extremely healthy, rarely has been sick and has met all her milestones on time or early.