Mums and dads playing with other kids?

ladyjayne

Reaction score
Hubby and I took Lo to soft play today, we were having a really lovely time running around with him but the other mums were all sat down reading. anyway these other kids started running around with us and trying to join in our games. I thought it was fine and let them as they were LO's age and i thought it would be nice for him to play with others. So we go to go on the big slide and hubby takes LO down it and i go to follow when one of the little girls asks if id take her down as she was scared. I had no idea what to do :blush: so i let her get on my lap and took her down the slide. Hubby came up to me later and said that I shouldnt have done it as you have no idea what others will think and if this girls mum would be happy with me doing it. :shrug:
I want to know if you'd be happy with a stranger playing with your child like that. I dont know what to do if it happens again (it always does... we always seem to have little followers LOL)

I wouldn't mind. It'd make me feel guilty that I wasn't there playing I suppose which might make some parents defensive.

xx

My OH said he experienced similar when he took Ruby to the soft play. He ended up going down the slide with a random little boy. I was also playing with about 4 kids in the park today while their parents sat and chilled out. :(

Personally i wouldnt really mind if it was my little girl. Im probably a bit too laid back tho with things like this. Ive seen my kids go and play with adults and their kids and then will go over an join in just to make sure they are ok. I wouldnt want them picking them up or tickling and things like that but joining in while running about and laughing i wouldnt mind.

I'll be honest and say I wouldn't be happy someone else doing that - however this is because I am normally right behind him, and because I would like to instill in him the importance of not wandering off with people he doesn't know (rather than it being anything personal against the individual).

Thanks ladies, Im thinking I'll let them run around with us still but not pick them up to help down slides or climb up things. I cant win either way really, if i dont help them i feel bad lol but i dont want to upset any mummys. :D xx

Hopefully most people would consider that you are just trying to be nice and don't have the heart to tell some poor child they can't play :hugs: :flower:

I would be ok with it (assuming that the adult doing it seemed genuine etc), but I am always playing with LO so doubt it would happen.

However, as a person who has taken a "child protection" course *was involved with kids as a sports official), I am very weary about other kids (or at least touching them): it is a sad world, but to protect yourself from accusations or attack (from parents), then touching a unfamiliar kid is not a good idea :nope:

QT

I probably wouldn't get too interactive with someones elses kid, people can be unpredictable these days and make all sorts of assumptions which is sad but true. We were at soft play last week and this little girl asked me to tuck her dress into her tights so she could climb up the rope and I was thinking 'noooo way!' and she kept saying please oh my dress is so annoying etc and I was just like 'ohhh thats a shame go and tell your mummy!' lol! x

I've helped other kids when I've been right there when they needed it and their parents/carers weren't. for example, at Legoland last month I was up in a big slide thing in the kiddies' play area, helping Adam onto the slide, and there was a little girl up there by herself (a lot younger - or maybe just smaller and less confidently mobile - than Adam, it kind of puzzled me actually), her mum was waiting at the bottom for her. I think she thought the little girl would go down by herself but she didn't look like she would, so I helped her up and set her off. the mum was completely fine with it, we smiled and made eye contact. I'd do stuff like that, but always look around to see if I could see a parent/carer to check first. I'd be fine with another adult helping Adam in that way (the situation where nobody is playing with him isn't likely to happen, not while he's as young as he is anyway, there's always myself or my husband right there with him).

I wouldnt' have a problem with anyone picking her up to help her up a ladder or helping her down the slide by holding her hand or something but I would be uncomfortable with her being on someone's lap if I didn't know them. I've no problem with kids running round with me, it's bound to happen and I'll help them out if it's holding a hand or arms length picking up but not close to the body type holding.

Ive done it for other kids before, there mums thought it was kind of us, it also helps them interact with my LO more when they arent scared of me lol x
I wouldnt mind them helping lilly, id only go mad if they told lilly off x

We play with LO and go up and down the slides with him etc...He started playing with a lady and the children she were minding once and she picked and helped him up. It was only because he wasn't as fast as the others. I was stood watching, talking, smiling to this lady and I would have followed them up but there was not enough room with her 3, other kids, my LO, me and it meant I'd have had to leave elf alone (all be it asleep in her pram and within sight but :nope:) or take her up too.

I've told kids off before though. I once had two brothers knock Jacob off this soft play wall once with one of those big things. They were about to do it too my friends little girl and I shouted for them to stop, it was done nastily. If a parent wants to fall out with me cos there child is misbehaving while they're too busy reading the paper...bring it on.

I'm not just some random mum that shouts at kids but if a child is in an area they shouldn't be and doing something that they compromises the safety of my child...I will tell them and the parents.

I wouldn't of done it, I would say to them that they need to go ask their Mummy or Daddy becasue I just don't want some parent coming up to me and having a go which would be my luck, it wouldn't be an understanding parent.

I always seem to end up with random children when I am out, I think it is because William is still little and I need to follow him everywhere and help him out with things so other children see me as someone who can help them out as well.

I try to avoid touching other people's children unless they are about to throw themselves off something high however on a recent trip to Sure Start a couple of children saw me lift William up so he could put balls in the ball drop toy. Before I knew it a queue of children had formed behind him patiently waiting for their turn to be lifted up and put a ball in, I felt it would be to mean say no even though most were tall enough to reach for themselves. The parents were all very nearby and see so they had the opportunity to ask me not to if they didn't want me to lift their child.

I wouldn't mind. It's hard though I'm never sure what to do.
The kids struggle to get out of the ball pit at our soft play and I've helped many other kids out. Not many people will help though, I've witnessed many people helping there own child and then ignoring the other stuck child. I always go when I spot J is stuck but as I have r to sometimes I don't notice immediately so of not mind other helping him.

Think its a shame we have to be so wary with other peoples children

i wouldnt mind too much but like others say it depends on the situation, like in the park the other day i was right by my LO and another mum was by hers on the steps/climbing frame thing up to the slide, my LO's foot slipped (its got like big gaps between bars) and we both automatically grabbed for her. i didnt mind cos if we both hadnt of reached out she mite of fell... stuff like that i fine, i think anyway. xxxx

I agree with the general consensus. We always have followers too, I think it's because when they see adults playing they know it will be fun and want to get involved. I do speak to them and I'd hold a hand to help across but I wouldn't sit anyone on my lap or pick anyone up. I always ask 'Where's Mummy?' It's a shame we have to be wary but I also take the above poster's point about teaching your own child not to wander off with strangers and from that pov I wouldn't like it if someone else lifted Ethan up at all.

i wouldnt' have a problem with anyone picking her up to help her up a ladder or helping her down the slide by holding her hand or something but i would be uncomfortable with her being on someone's lap if i didn't know them. I've no problem with kids running round with me, it's bound to happen and i'll help them out if it's holding a hand or arms length picking up but not close to the body type holding.

^ wss

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
An1583
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->