Mums - did you rate labour TENS machine?

Minnie_me

Reaction score
Hope you don't mind me popping in to ask. I had made up my mind that I was going to get a Lloyds one on the basis that it is only a few £ more than the rentals and I can sell it on. Somewhat foiled as they are out of stock and Lloyds can't get them. There are a handful on eBay but most say 4-5 days delivery which could be hopeless if I go into labour sooner.

Those who did use them, how much of a difference do they make? I kind of had in mind that it would be more a distraction than anything else so could potentially use massage, reflexology or whatever instead :shrug:

Yes I hired boots mama tens and it was great, like you say great distraction too. Got to a point in hospital when I say 'press' and OH would hit the button for me. It was the mw that recommended having one and glad I did, managed to stay at home for 12 hrs once contractions started so by the time I went to hospital I was
6cm

I bought a tens machine for my labour, and I have to say it was useless for me!!
However, it may be because my labour was soooo fast (I went from nothing to Tobias being born in just over 4 hours!) that it never had the chance to work!!

I went from my waters breaking to full on contractions! No real early labour for me. I didn't have time to try a TENS at all.

I nearly hired one but didnt and im glad as my labour pains were abdominal and I think feeling as I did it would just have annoyed me!

My hospital just stuck one on me and it didnt work. I left the boost on as i couldnt tell when one contraction was finishing and another starting. I had a very quick intense labour x

I was hoping to use a TENS machine but i ended up going into labour before i got one! I think i probably would have ripped it off and threw it across the room in all honesty though but they do work for some people. The most useful thing i found in labour was breathing! Got me through it with no pain relief at all. Good luck :)

I was in early labour for a day or so, but the pain was all in my back so my TENS machine really worked, it didn't take the pain away but for me it made it less intense and let me get some sleep. My labour wasn't progressing I was stuck at 3cm for hours but with increasingly painful contractions and the TENS machine gave me a distraction during this time, I wasn't offered any pain relief until I had a spinal for my emergency c section. This might be a bit cheeky but I've got mine (the lloyds pregnancy one) with a pack of brand new unopened pads here if you wanted to buy it and I could post it tomorrow, no pressure just thought I'd offer :D

I brought the elleTENS online for £54.99 from tens.co.uk. I would give it a 10/10! Was great. I used it for 10hrs at home which saw me to 5cm dilated. Honestly would not have coped without it. Only had G&A when admitted to labour ward and I really think that was due to my tens machine as I don't think I would have coped with the contractions from 0-5cm to 10 with just G&A. HTH.

With tens.co.uk you can upgrade to the larger electrodes too which covered my whole lower back area x

It helped distract me from contractions during early labour and the taxi journey to the hospital. Once we got to the hospital i took it off in favour of the birth pool, the wires were starting to get in my way and I kept accidently ripping the pads off.

I bought a Lloyds one after borrowing one from the hospital with my 1st pregnancy. I found it really helped with my 2nd labour. Put it on as soon as the contractions were getting a little uncomfortable and got to 8/9cm without any other pain relief. Annoying that the Lloyds ones are out of stock :(

Did nothing for me! hah. I remember DH saying when I was pushing 'are you sure its on?' and turning it up and REALLY shocking me. I nearly slapped him and said 'AS IF IM NOT IN ENOUGH PAIN YOUR NOW ELECTROCUTING ME! THANKS!' :haha:

I found mine brilliant, other than paracetamol it was my only pain relief!

I bought the Mama Tens My Time and found it really helpful (even thought I realised after I'd delivered that I hadn't turned it up anywhere near as high as it could have gone!). My hubby put it on for me at about 8 in the evening when I was convinced I was in labour and my contractions were regular - I'd had some pain in the afternoon but not been convinced I was in labour. The TENS definitely helped - when I got to the hospital at 01.00hrs I shocked everyone by being 8cm dilated and gave birth just before 03.00hrs. Only took my TENS off when I was pushing as the leads got in the way. So would definitely recommend. Good luck!!

I bought a tens machine for my labour, and I have to say it was useless for me!!
However, it may be because my labour was soooo fast (I went from nothing to Tobias being born in just over 4 hours!) that it never had the chance to work!!

Same. My labour was 3hr 50m and the contractions were so intense straight away that the TENS didn't stand much of a chance! :haha:

I still kept it on throughout the whole labour though, I was in too much pain to take it off.

I have the lloyds one and was happy with it. My labour was relatively quick so prob only wore it for 3 to 4 hours. I had it at the wrong setting so my boast button didn't work but I managed with just tens and gas and air right till after my stitches. My hospital had tens machines available but u weren't guarranteed one. Maybe u could ask if they provide such a service? If you can get ur hands on a tens machine I think it is worth the try.

I was in early labour for a day or so, but the pain was all in my back so my TENS machine really worked, it didn't take the pain away but for me it made it less intense and let me get some sleep. My labour wasn't progressing I was stuck at 3cm for hours but with increasingly painful contractions and the TENS machine gave me a distraction during this time, I wasn't offered any pain relief until I had a spinal for my emergency c section. This might be a bit cheeky but I've got mine (the lloyds pregnancy one) with a pack of brand new unopened pads here if you wanted to buy it and I could post it tomorrow, no pressure just thought I'd offer :D

Sent you a PM :thumbup:

I had one with my first when I was induced and back to back, didn't help one bit - it just annoyed me!
Didn't bother with the second, just gas and air...
x

It helped me a lot in the beginning when the contractions weren't full blast, but afterwards it just got annoying! I would recommend it though, helped to distract me from the pain.

I used the Obi-TENS. I thought it was brilliant and I'd definitely use one again. It was the only pain relief I used during my labour and I'd say that it definitely masked the pain of my contractions. Yes, it felt strange/uncomfortable at first for me, but as the intensity of my contractions grew, the "boost" became my best friend! xx

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
gaiangel
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->