Music - Is A Cover Ever As Good As The Original?

I think if the version is a carbon copy of the original (and lets face it, girlband and boyband ones always are) they wont ever match the same level of respect or magic.

I cringe at 99.9% of cover versions!

A couple exceptions to the rule imo-

Hurt-Johnny Cash
Halleluyah-Jeff Buckley
Crazy-Patsy Cline.

Yes that is great. Although I LOVE Leonard Cohen..... x

Ooh there are some GREAT "punk" covers floating around out there! If you're into that sort of music.. like for Time After Time, Somewhere Over The Rainbow, etc.

Aaah there was a great punkish band who only do covers but I cant remember what they were called I love them! Think 1/2 members from NOFX were in them.

xxx

could it be me first and the gimme gimmes?

humm, it really does depend on the song and the singer... (nice way to state the obvious Maddie! :lol:) for example, i love Jeff Buckley's Hallelujah cover, but i want to stick pins in my eyes when i hear Alexandra Burke's version...

I like ''a little respect'' wheetus- originally by erasure
but im just odd haha :D

Oh and ''ticket to ride'' by the carpenters Originally by the beatles.

handbags and gladrags

Sometimes i like UB40 and they have covered alot of older reggae stuff so spose can be ok not keen on dance tracks now which where slow songs before

I think some covers are good when there stripped right back, like Radio 1's live lounge.

Hurt by Johnny Cash is MUCH better than the original by Nine Inch Nails.
Beautiful song

I've got to agree with Johnny Cash's version of Hurt, I love that song and I get all emotional at the video too! x

OHHHH

I like Groove Coverage - Poison much better than the original Alice Cooper !!

I agree live lounge do some pretty good tracks, i really liked the Stereophonics version of Sinead O'Conners Nothing comapres to you

And Amy Winehouses version of Neil Sedaka's Cupid, that was great, not as good as the original but still really good

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
gaiangel
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->