my 2 and a half year old still not potty trained :-(

Mummy2B1989

Reaction score
I cant help but feel like I'm failing. My son is still in nappies and wilk be 3 in nov. If I let him go around with just pants or a bare bum and tell him he needs to use potty rtc he will for a little while then either forget or not bother.
any tips?

Cold turkey that's what worked for me. My son was 3 I'm march and I started potty train him during Easter time now he's 90% potty train( have odd accident mainly when we out or he's preoccupied with playing at the nursery)
Don't feel like u failing it's not competition his time will come and if you listening to comments from other why he isn't potty train yet then stop listen to them.

Well, my first was potty trained in about 2 weeks a few months before turning 4. We had virtually no accidents afterwards. My second, who is a bit older than yours, we haven't even tried yet. Might try this summer - he currently isn't interested. What's the rush is my point of view.

my pediatrician says that they don't worry unless a child is not yet potty trained at 5. My LO will be 4 in a couple months and she isn't potty trained. She can sit on the toilet and go if she wants to but she usually doesn't care to. She is so very stubborn and rarely does things that I insist on without her input. I'm just avoiding the fight and assuming that eventually she will decide on her own to use the toilet. You are certainly NOT a failure! :flower:

My daughter is the exact same age. We tried it for 2 days and it resulted in her throwing way way more tantrums over absolutely nothing and me almost in tears feeling like a failure. We are waiting until she tells us she wants to go on the potty.

We tried a few weeks back and it only resulted in frustration on my side, i will wait til she is ready :)
I had the cues when my son was ready, a week before he turned three, he trwined in two weeks and has been dry at night since two months after that.

I think you have high expectations and too much pressure on yourself. He is quite young. You are not failing, but it must feel horrible to feel like you are! Do you have outside pressures that make you feel this way? Hugs

My son was 2yr11months when we trained him and we only did it because he got chicken pox so we thought we would go for it while we were stuck home. I wouldn't worry yet xx

My daughter is about the same age and although there are a few signs she is on her way to being ready (tells me when she's about to poo) she is a very stubborn child so I know if I try and force her to do anything it won't work. I have pencilled a week in the summer to aim for but I do believe they will do it when they're ready!

I wouldn't be worrying about it at 2 1/2!

I tried with my son at 2 1/2ish and then again at 2yrs 10 months. Both times were a disaster with lots of tantrums and screaming and accidents. Just before 3 he decided he wanted to wee in the toilet and he did it himself.

If you feel they should be able to do it by now then you could try taking the nappies away but I just wouldn't worry yet and wait a bit longer tbh.

I personally don't think 2.5 is late at all. From my experience of people I know, between 2.5 & 3 seems common or even later than that. The only person I get comments from that we should start trying is MIL. Most other people advise to wait until Ciara is ready. She has just turned 2 so I'm not rushing it yet. Plus I want to 'toilet train' rather than potty if possible. We have a toilet seat & step which she has been practicing with & will sit on fully clothed. We did have a little wee on the toilet once before her bath but she hasn't wanted to since yet so I'm not pushing it.

Thank u all. I do feel pressure as he has been accepted to the ante pre school in December but they wont let him start if he isnt toilet trained x

I don't think that's late at all. My girls were dry by about 25 months but they're girls (which I think makes them about 6 months ahead) and also in cloth nappies (which anecdotally makes them potty train earlier too so maybe a year ahead in total?).

If you want to encourage it, I don't think you can expect a child that age to remember to use the toilet just because you've told him and left him with no pants on. For all of his life he's peed wherever he is without stopping - that's got to be a big thing to change! If you want to encourage him and you do think he's capable of holding it AND aware at least 30 seconds before he goes, I would ask him every 30 minutes or so if he wants to try doing a wee. Once he's weed, wait an hour then start asking every 30 minutes again. I wouldn't pressure him, just ask once and let him say no and don't make a fuss if he wets himself, but gentle reminders might help, especially if he's so busy playing that he forgets.

at 2.5 my son wasn't ready. I tried closer to him turning 3 and he was ready then. I think you just should wait a couple of months and then try again. You still have time before December comes around.

Please don't worry. He'll get there :)

Mine isn't potty trained and won't be for probably a year or longer.

My daughter is a bit older (3 in September) and she's just not interested. She doesn't seem to have any idea whether she's about to wee or poo, or even when she has had a wee or poo. We've got a potty which she sometimes sits on, and I've bought her peppa pig knickers and we've got 2 potty training books which we read together but I'm not pushing her into it. She's so stubborn that she'll just dig her heels in and it'll become a battle if I push it so I'm going to just wait a bit longer.

Adam was potty trained in three weeks during October (turned 4 in March)! We tried a few attempts since he was 2.5 yrs with very little success!

my sons just turned 3 and isn't potty trained Im lucky though the nursery where I am will still accept him as long as he wears pull ups. my wee boy isn't really talking much and has just been referred to salt once he's had his first app and I've discussed what they think is best I wont be pushing it on him. the nursery did say there was alot of kids there that started in dec that weren't potty trained which made me feel better just didnt want him to be the odd one out x

I'm only just training this last week and a half.
We've gone cold turkey and barely any accidents.
Xx

My 2.5 year old is no-where near ready! He doesn't tell us if he's done a poo in his nappy and will quite happily carry on with a dirty nappy. I'm not going to stress with potty training but now the weathers getting better I might start just introducing him to the potty and see what happens. My friends all have girls a similar age and they are fully trained day and night, but I feel no pressure and will do it my way.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
An1583
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->