My 2yr old only wants to eat sweet

Discussion in 'Toddler & Pre-School' started by suzan, Jan 27, 2011.

1. suzan

suzan Well-Known Member

He just wants to eat sweets and it scares me that he will have health problems later! he prefers sweet over his lunch, dinner, snack. Its driving me insane, and if not given to him he wont eat a thing. Its not like I give him all the time but sometimes he doesnt stop crying and I cave in and give him.

How can I stop his sweet tooth!!!!??

2. mommy2lilmen

mommy2lilmen Well-Known Member

OMG I was going to post this. My little guy wont eat anything> used to love noodles, meats, veges..rather cereals, cookies, juices...grrrr making me upset.

3. smelly07

smelly07 Mummy of 2 girls & wifey

I would stop the sweets in all honesty. He will soon start eating other things when he gets hungry.

4. Ratty

Ratty Well-Known Member

Don't allow the sweets as a replacement for a meal. He is old enough to understand that he has to eat his proper meal first and can only have sweets as a treat for being good.

My son will get a gold coin after supper if he has eaten it without any complaints.

DON'T GIVE IN !!!! The more you do, the more you are going to struggle. If he doesn't want to eat then he doesn't eat. He will eventually get hungry. I've taken my son off his high chair before when he refused to eat and told him he was getting nothing else and within 1/2 hour he was asking for the food he previously wouldn't eat. By giving the sweets you are filling him up on stuff that isn't nutritious.

5. Mum2b_Claire

Mum2b_Claire Mummy to Ruby & Scarlett!

I would stop the sweets. You could offer something like dried fruit instead, which is still very sweet but nutrituous too.

6. SmileyMummy

SmileyMummy Well-Known Member

I have the same issue with my 18mth old...she loves the sweets but messes with anything savory. She also only wants to feed herself with the savory foods which is great although most goes down her front rather than in her mouth...then she fills up on yoghurt and sweets! I understand I worry terribly about it.

7. ClaireMuir123

ClaireMuir123 Mummy to Jayden and Ava

Stop the sweets. If he's hungry he'll eat what you give him. Don't worry, he won't starve. I know it's difficult but I had this with my son and now if he doesn't eat his dinner because he's stropping about he'll go to bed without anything. He soon figures that if he ats his dinner he'll get a desert.

Remember, you are the parent and you are in charge. Your child has to do as you as, if not there will be no treats. Well, thats how it is in my house lol xxxx

8. dreams

dreams My beautiful baby Ffion

Ahh Ffion's gone terrible like this since having chocolates and sweets over christmas. She'll eat her breakfast and dinner but not her lunch and only wants everything she's not supposed to have!

I just stand my ground and if she still carries on we go outside for a bit lol. She still doesn't eat her lunch though but as others have said they wont go hungry.

9. mama2b

mama2b Mummy & TTC

I agree I would offer the same or fresh fruit if he prefers.

Does he like Chocolate ? You could always try swapping it for the dairy free chocolate. Apparently its better for them and tastes pretty much the same.