• Welcome back! The Xenforo Cloud migration is now complete. Thank you for your patience! NOTE: please make sure to report any issues to our Technical Support forum and we'll review ASAP.

my 3 year old wont use

emma_27

Reaction score
Cutlery! Im not sure what to do. Ive tried getting him alsorts of different cutlery with his favourite characters and encouragment charts but he wont do it and its getting to he point now that he wont eat foods that have to be eaten with cutlery. He starts school in september so i really need him to do it. Any help or advice would be great.

We never had that issue at that age, but ever since they were really young, around 1 they had no choice, we always encouraged it and stopped them if they weren't. He's def old enough to understand that he HAS to do it. If he doesn't eat food that uses them then I would really only serve things that he has to use it for so he doesn't say to himself...well I'll just eat my sandwich for lunch and not eat dinner since I have to use my fork. Make it where all meals he needs to do it, he will do it if he knows he has no choice but to do it. We have to remind the boys not to put their hands in their plates sometimes and if they keep on and won't use their forks we will ask them to leave the table and go to timeout, when they get back we explain that it's bad manners to be using your hands for things like say spaghetti and that they will not be allowed at the table if they can't eat properly...to which they will say sorry and do it the right way. Good luck!

dont worry hun, he's prob loving the attention you bring to the matter. like i say often he wont be an adult eating mash with his fingers. as for refusing foods dont acknowledge what he's doing ignore all of it if he doesnt get a response from you it will get boring. put a treat on the side that he can have if he mangages to use his knife and fork.
they go through these stages he's sitting at the table which is more than rosie did turn my back she'd be gone lol
and she still eats with the cutlery in the wrong hands she finds it impossible
x

I was trying the your not getting your dinner if you dont eat it with your knife and fork so he said well i dont want it then and im not giving him anything else. He eats his yoghurts with a spoon and weetabix but no other food he sometimes tries his best but i think he just thinks its easier with his fingers. Ill try the only giving him things that need eating with a fork route aswell. I was also considering getting him to have dinners at nursery so he could see all the other children eating but at the moment he only manages a week at nursery before his ill again its a right nightmare!

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mummynugs
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"