My baby bedding is ruined

cillybean83

Reaction score
If you babysit a kid and let them sleep in your unborn babies crib and they end up peeing and pooping all over everything because their mother put their diaper on extremely loose...what would you do?

1. Tell her she has to buy you new crib sheets since her negligence RUINED the ones you had

2. Not let the baby sleep in the crib anymore

3. Tell her and leave it up to her to replace the stuff or not

4. Say nothing

I've gotta tell ya, I'm extremely pissed. This babies diaper was so loose that when I unbuttoned his onesie, the diaper just fell off. I'm just wondering how you guys would handle the situation. I bought this really cute stuff for MY baby and HER kid ruined it before my baby even got to lay on it once. Grrrrrrrrr

Tell her what happened and that you just can't get the stuff clean and now you even have to think about replacing the mattress if it didn't have a waterproof cover! If she has any conscience she'll replace them but people are weird!

Honestly Id have cleaned it up as best as possible and if it wont come right just buy new stuff. Maybe the nappy WASNT loose when it was put on, maybe the child had just eaten when the nappy went on and the tummy deflated overnight causing the nappy to be loose (this happens!!!)
She could counter you by asking why you didnt have the baby on a changing mat when you undid the sleepsuit to change the nappy or whatever.

Id probably mention it and laugh about it and put it down to being something that DOES happen when you have children. Poo, pee and sick gets on things and they get stained!

He was on the changing table when I opened the onesie, it was the onesie that was holding the diaper on when he was standing up on the changing table (I wanted to get everything off of him before I laid him down, creating another big mess) the diaper fell down his legs, it was attached by the hips, not by the belly button. The fact of the matter is, she's a shitty parent and does everything completely half assed and it wouldn't the first time I had to tell her his diaper wasn't on properly. If she wants to take crappy care of her kid, that's on her, but I take care of my stuff and I don't think it's fair that I get to spend an hour scrubbing my crib and mattress with bleach water because she decided she was too busy to secure a diaper.

I'd expect her to replace the stuff but on the other hand, maybe it's a good thing? If you can't clean poo and pee from the baby stuff, then it's not good baby stuff! :)

not sure I get how if he was on a changing table (having a small child STAND on a changing table is WAY dangerous by the way) the mess got on the crib and bedding? Was it a cot top changer?
Honestly if it was my child and you told me thats how you had taken his clothes off Id probably be more peeved that you thought it was ok to stand him on a changer. Bedding can be replaced, small childrens skulls cannot if the get cracked on a wall, floor, rail.....just be aware of how YOU would see it if it were you.
If shes THAT bad a parent stop babysitting for her.

Difficult one...

Was the pee/poo all over the stuff BEFORE you picked up the baby (and the nappy fell off?)? If it was OR if it was her who picked up the baby or it leaked everywhere before, then it is pretty cut and dried... Really (assuming you are not a paid babysitter) you should ask her to try to clean it up or replace it. If you were responsible for the child (either being paid to look after it or taking it upon yourself to change him and it happened whilst you were changing him), then it looks more like your responsibility.... if that makes sense.

Difficult one, really... if I was you, then I would never have let him sleep in the cot (harsh, but true) and just said "sorry, I am saving it all fresh for my baby". If I was the mother of the baby (after it has happened), then I would offer to clean-up/replace the soiled items, but that is me - I think that you should take responsibility for your kids... A lot of people are not like that :shrug:

QT

Sorry, just red that you WERE babysitting for the child... your responsibility then, I think - sorry...

If you are providing a service and provide facilities as part of that service, then I think it is your responsibility to check that the nappy is on securely before putting the child in the cot. Babies do pee and poo and some leakage is natural... if you are a paid babysitter, then you are assuming responsibilty for that child.

Agree with anothersquish re allowing the baby to stand on a changing table :nope:

QT

I wouldn't of put a child in a new baby's crib. How old is this child? I wouldn't stand a baby on a changer to change them. If the nappy has created a mess i'd clean up what I could and if the baby was covered as they often are i'd be bathing the child. We have spare changing mats in case this happens.

he is a year old, there is no reason why he couldn't stand on a changer with me holding him with one hand and both of his hands on my shoulders...I picked him up out of the crib and walked over to the changing table to change him. He pooped and peed out of the diaper, like out the side of it because it was on loose, and when the onesie was unbuttoned, the diaper fell down around his ankles because it was on loose. It just pisses me off because I got most of my baby stuff early so he could use it because she doesn't buy him anything (he didn't have a bed to sleep in til he was 9 months old) and now this happens just because of blatant lazy parenting. I know it's my own fault for letting him be in the crib to start with but I'm still just mad at the situation. I'm going to tell her that she needs to bring him stuff of his own, my kids stuff is off limits from this point on so I don't have to worry about this happening again.

I'm still confused how the poo got on the crib if you had walked over to a changer. Was it the baby was messed up so you lied the baby back in the crib?

In all honesty, I'd not be letting anybody's baby lie on my baby's new things. You didn't have to use those sheets so it's really nobody's fault but your own.

Out of interest, have you not reported her to social services yet for her continued negligence? (I remember reading a thread of yours about this a while ago).

Also, if the pee and poo has leaked through the onesie you'll be just fine to wash it off. It's not as likely to stain as direct contact with faeces would.

I don't know how else to explain it. He went pee and poo in his diaper. The diaper was loose, the pee and poo came out of the side of the diaper, onto the crib sheet, up his back, leaked through the onesie, just made a mess entirely. It was one of those explosive poops i'm assuming. So I walk in to get him, see the mess and pick him up out of the crib. The onesie and diaper are still on but his leg has poo on it, the crib sheet is poo covered, etc...I carry him over to the changer and stand him up (I'm holding on to him it's not he was just standing there) to kind of assess the damage, I unbutton the onesie and the diaper falls down around his little ankles so I just move the diaper and lay him down on top of a receiving blanket and clean him up then put him in the swing while I start cleaning up the rest of the mess. When I go to throw the diaper away it's obvious it was connected near the hips, not in the front like it's supposed to be, and it isn't the first time it was like that, I've told her about it before when he had peed through his clothes and he's sitting here all day with no clothes on because she never brings him spare outfits and she's like "it's just easier for me that way because he wiggles too much"...it's not about whats easier for her, it's about what is supposed to be done to ensure that things like this don't happen!

You know, nappies DO leak, however well you THINK you have put them on in the first place. It WILL happen with your own baby time and time again....trust me!!!!!!
It doesnt mean that the mother was negligent in putting the nappy on, as I said earlier you can put a nappy on firmly in the late evening and by morning its full, heavy and babys tummy has shrunk and down it slides, this is COMMON and happens to the BEST parents.
I understand that it is upsetting your bedding has some poo and pee on it (but how much could have leaked out the side of the nappy and through the sleep suit seriously?) but wash it well, even a couple of times and see how it looks. None of my baby bedding ever got stained with wee or poo despite accidents as a tiny baby and as a potty training toddler.

Please, do NOT stand a 1yr old on a changing unit, stand them on the floor or LIE them on the unit. Accidents can and do happen, one tiny slip and that can be a head banged and a trip to hospital, their heads are so delicate.

yeah she's been reported but no one has followed up on it yet.

I have a 6 year old, I know all about diaper disasters haha :) This diaper was not the one that was put on him the night before, it was one that was put on him this morning before he was brought here, it couldn't have been on more than 3 hours so it isn't like he had all night to pee through it and loosen it up and she has openly admitted to putting them on like that just because it's easier. Everyone is right, I didn't have to let him near my babies new things, and because i decided to, it's my fault. I can accept that, even though the situation is annoying!!! :) From this point on, my kids stuff is mine, and her kids stuff is hers, but the problem with that is that I feel so guilty because he has nothing. he doesn't even have a toy to play with!!! EVERYTHING he uses here is mine...

I really think its time you stopped looking after her kid, its causing you too much stress.

You were babysitting, therefore you should have checked the nappy before putting the baby down for a nap. Sorry :(

I have to kinda agree with the other ladies but .. dont wanna comment fully without knowing full details ...

What i'm wondering is if you put the baby in the crib, Didn't you check the nappy before putting them to bed?
And if you put the baby in your crib using your sheets then i'm sorry hun but that would be your own mistake not the mothers.

Believe me hun nappies do become loose & do wriggle down below the belly button area especially at that age when they wriggle around alot so it doesn't mean she hasn't put it on properly, The other thing is if this has happened before where you know she doesn't attach it right then why wouldn't you check before putting it to bed or why not just use diff sheets/towels ?

If it was my child you had looked after & this happened i would think its an accident, I would more than likely OFFER to replace the sheets.

Even holding onto a 1yr olds hands on top of a changer is wrong though hun, If he had just stepped or jumped in any direction you would of been holding him up by 1 arm & that could of resulted in dislocation.
I understand your unhappy & upset about the sheets but accidents happen & they will happen with your own child, in future either dont babysit for her or do but check his nappy & use seperate sheets.

Must say i've never had a problem getting wee or poo out of sheets when josh was sick or poorly & it went everywhere .

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
An1583
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->