• Welcome back! The Xenforo Cloud migration is now complete. Thank you for your patience! NOTE: please make sure to report any issues to our Technical Support forum and we'll review ASAP.

My baby is dehydrated....

Soon5kids

Pregnant with Blessing #6
Reaction score
So I have been having so much trouble with bf that I was topping baby off with formula. When he first came home I was advised by his pediatrician to top off his feeding with formula because he was showing signs of dehydration in his urine. Well once I did that it cleared that issue up. My only issue is yesterday I stopped the bottle and bf'ed only and went to check his diaper and he is constipated. I really am thinking my breast milk is not hydrating my baby enough. :nope: This a real nightmare for me because I just want to do what's best for my baby that's it. I don't want him in any pain. I am just gutted.

sorry you're having such a rough time :( Whats telling you he's dehydrated? is his soft-stop sunken? BF babies can go without pooing for up to 5 days at a time ..... but formula can cause stickier poo which takes longer to pass. Does he seem to be in pain in his stomach area? If so, have you tried baby massage on his tummy? might help to get things moving a little.

Also, how old is LO? Was it the orangey-red stuff in the nappy that made doc think he wasnt getting enough? if so, sometimes that can just be caused by having not passed urine for a while - doesnt always mean dehydration, although obviously in some cases it can so im not saying your LO definitely isn't dehydrated. Do you like in a very warm house or environment? booby milk should be enough to keep baby hydrated, i have heard of some people suggesting an ounce or two (but no more) of cooled boiled water instead of formula (less likely to mess with baby's hunger/appetite which can impact on your supply in early days as formula taking 2 times as long to digest as BM so less nipple stimulation = less milk made)

(hugs)

if ur worried id give baby some cooled boiled water in a bottle or just spend more time feeding to get more milk into baby :hugs:

My Lo was dehydrated in first few days - took a week before the coloured stuff stopped being in his pee. He also went a week with no poops after his initial meconium poo. Midwives scared the life out of me saying my baby wasn't getting enough to eat. He's now 4 weeks old gaining weight well and still only poops once or twice a week!

Thanks ladies! @Booda...My lo is 8 days old. what alarmed me was his poop was like little pellets when I checked this morning. He doesn't seem to be in pain when he poops. And yes it was the orangey stuff in his diaper that had the doc telling me to top him off with formula. I have been trying my best to get him off this stuff for a couple of days now and I am so scared that I have messed everything up.I mean all I ever wanted was to only bf. No formula and no bottle.And now look at me doing the oppisite. :nope: :(

dont beat urself up!
it gets me how many doctors push mothers to use formula when its not needed

dont beat urself up!
it gets me how many doctors push mothers to use formula when its not needed

Thanks...I just feel like I want to start over and wish that had never introduced the formula to begin with.

It's normal the 1st week to have orange tinted pee...that's what I was told at my hospital and to not be alarmed (it almost looked like blood). If there is several pee filled diapers a day it sounds like you are hydrating him enough. Trust your body and yourself. I'm sure your baby is fine...unless it's the dead of summer breast milk should suffice for hydration for your wee one. Make sure you are drinking plenty of liquids...I always drink a large glass of water at every feeding just to make sure. :hugs:

u can start again, theres so many women like u who havent been given the help or advice u should of been given that go on to exlusivly bf again. you can do it!

your baby is only little and its hard to bf to begin with, give urself a break and carry on feeding

Put your baby to your breast each time he squeaks. Pellet like poo is slightly worrying, but the formula may have just clogged him up a bit.

Keep feeding your LO as much as possible and have plenty of skin to skin contact.

Good luck :)

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mummynugs
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"