My baby is waking earlier and earlier

Discussion in 'Baby Club' started by starlight2801, Jun 6, 2011.

1. starlight2801

starlight2801 Well-Known Member

Maia has always been fantastic sleeping at night. She was sleeping a good five hour stretch by 7 weeks and at least 7 hours by 10 weeks.

Her usual waking up time was between 6.30 and 7.00 but over the past week or so she's got earlier and earlier waking at 4.30 this morning and I don't just mean for a feed- she wants to get up and play.

DH suggested going with her and getting up but what if she gets earlier still?! Besides, I want her to know sleepy time from day.

Any advice or ideas as to why she's started doing this. My eyes are pinned open with match sticks today, lol x

2. Babydreams321

Babydreams321 Well-Known Member

Noooo don't get up and play with her at 430!! ur right,you need to differentiate between night and day...I assume ur feeding her at this time?in the dark,no talkin etc etc? HAve you tried leaving her to see if shell have a talk to herself for a bit then go back off??xx

3. purplepower

purplepower 1st time Mummy

Do you have blackout blinds? It gets light really early now.

4. MrsNovBaby

MrsNovBaby Well-Known Member

Is the room dark enough? Make sure that the light does not come through and wake her up. Hope she sleeps through again soon xx

5. LPF

LPF Well-Known Member

Decide what time you feel is 'morning', treat everything before that as night so no talking, minimal light etc and stay away as much as you can. Try and do the 'breakfast' feed well differentiated from waking up too. It's a phase and it will stop!

6. ginny

ginny Well-Known Member

My little boy was doing this, I think it's because of light mornings, I've started to treat it as night time as suggested above and it's helped, my OH also wanted to get our LO up too... It got worse! Starting to get back on track now xx

7. stardust599

stardust599 Well-Known Member

You just have to persevere, I think it's a phase that a lot of babies come through. Do not get her up as early waking is one of the hardest habits to break - it gets ingrained in their brain!!!

Macy went through it around your LOs age, think it lasted around 6weeks.

Act like it's still nighttime, go in and without speaking give her a reassuring cuddle and some pats on the back. Offer some milk in case she's hungry, have a quick feel of nappy to make sure it's not really wet but don't change unless necessary. Then use whatever method you normally use to settle her down and leave the room. Repeat as many times as it takes, you might find it'll take one sleep cycle (45mins) to get her back down or even longer xx

8. starlight2801

Aww thanks everyone. I've been feeding her quietly, in the dark and trying to settle her back off so I guess I'll just persevere and hope it passes quickly.

I think the light mornings are a problem. We do have black out blinds but we have not been able to get them to fit the window perfectly because of how our windows open, so light still gets in from the sides. May have to get black out curtains as well instead of our current pretty but thin ones and see if this helps.

Thanks again ladies x

9. starlight2801

Yes, it starts out promising with her just gurgling to herself but after a while she does start crying her heart out so I've had to get up but I do make a point of not chatting while I feed her and not changing her unless I really need too etc. Xx