my birth plan, have I missed anything?

butterfly80

Reaction score
Hi I was just wondering whether you would look at my birth plan and tell me if its ok, if I need to add anything, if any part isn't needed etc. I have used the NHS one as a template but didnt want it so many pages as want it as straightforward as possible as its only a guide as I have no idea how I will cope as its my first baby.

thanks in advance xxxxx

My Birth Plan: xxxxxxxxxxxx

Date of Birth xxxxxxxxxx
Due date: 15/07/11

Where to give birth

I would like to give birth in the maternity team unit of the hospital in case there are any complications and further medical help for myself or my baby is needed.

Companions

I would like my husband xxxxxxxxxxxxx to be with me for all stages (including forceps, vacuum or caesarean) if he is unavaiable I would like my mum xxxxxxxxxxxx

Birthing equipment/special facilities

I would like to use a birthing ball (I will bring my own)
I would like to use the birthing pool if it is available (I am not sure whether I would like to give birth in it). If the pool is not available I would like to be able to use a bath/shower as a method of pain control.

Monitoring during labour

If possible I would prefer babies hearbeat to be monitored externally and not via a Electronic fetal monitoring as I would like to keep as mobile as possible during labour. If baby needs to be monitored this way I would like to be informed.

Keeping active during labour

I would like to move around as much as possible during labour and try different positions. I would like to stay standing/one all fours and only lay down if necessary for short periods of time or to rest.

Positions for labour and birth

I would like to be kneeling on all fours, leaning forward or standing
For the final part (delivery) I would like to be laid on the bed with my back propped up by pillows unless I have found a comfortable and successful position before.

Skin-to-skin contact with your baby

I would like my baby delivered straight onto my tummy
If this is not possible I would like you to pass baby to my husband
I would like the midwife to tell me and my husband if the baby is a boy or a girl

Cutting the umbilical cord

I would like my husband to cut the umbilical cord if possible

Midwives, nurses and doctors in training

I have no objection to have midwives, nurses and doctors in training with me but would like them to be under supervision. If I require stitches I would like to be asked before a student performs them.

Pain relief options

I would like to keep open minded once in labour to see how I am coping. My preference is
A bath/birthing pool
Gas and Air (entonox)
Breathing and relaxation
I would like to try to not use other methods of pain relief however, if I require something I would prefer a epidural, I would prefer not to have diamorphine or pethidine due to affect it may have on baby.

Assisted delivery

If assistance is required and it is because I am tired I would like to be told this so I can try to have a energy drink or snack to increase my energy levels. If it is because baby is showing signs of distress I would like to be told what is happening through out the procedure.

Having an episiotomy

If necessary I would like the midwife to advise me before it is done

Delivering the placenta after birth

I would like the injection in my thigh

Feeding your baby

I would like to breastfeed my baby
I would like support and assistance when breastfeeding

Vitamin K for your baby

I have given my midwife consent to give my baby vitamin K

Looks great. I have stolen the bit about assisted delivery for my own plan!

You could also specify if you want quiet time, just you three, after delivery for an hour. ie, weighing of baby etc to be delayed until you three have had quiet time xxxxxxxxx

I have also put a bit about c-section in mine, here it is:

C-SECTION
• If the birth requires a c-section
• Delayed cord cutting if possible
• Baby to be handed to my husband as soon as possible
• Weighing of baby etc to be delayed for an hour while my husband holds the baby

wow, you have yours done already? did your midwife do it with you? mine said she would see me at home at 36 weeks to do it with me x

thanks Kanga didnt think about quiet time or about putting anything in about C section xxxx:flower:

hi Sophie22, I have been going to NCT classes and each week we have covered something I have done that section after hubbie and I have chatted about it. I am liking to get things ticked off my list as I work in a school and its our last holiday before D day :happydance: xxxx

I'd try make it a bit shorter and easier to read. I know it looks different on here etc but have you used bold text for some parts and thought of bullet points? Minimize the word count for easier overview. Midwifes are v busy, some birth plans never get read. make sure its 1 page only.

Looks good to me :) My attempt at a birth plan is a bit pathetic. Mainly, I just said to hubby that if I am in a state then he can make the decisions. I'm worried I'll go a bit doolally from the pain!

Thanks, the titles are in bold and underlined but when I copied it it wouldn't do. Will definitely try to get it on one page and put bullet points as it would be easier to read. Many thanks again :flower: xxx

cool. and try not repeat yourself like this: "
Skin-to-skin contact with your baby

I would like my baby delivered straight onto my tummy "

that can be shortened for a quicker read. hope you're not thinking i'm too picky, just trying to help. :)

no not to picky at all hun, when you write something yourself I find its sometimes hard to shorten it and change bits as you have read it quite a few times :hugs:

It's better than mine which consists of 'get baby out'.

I did one last time and I had my heart set on low lights, music, birthing pool/active labour, skin to skin contact with my son and 5 mins alone after the delivery to bond. When I got there my blood pressure was high and was stuck in a bed hooked up to a load of machines under florescent lighting. I lost 2.5 litres of blood and had to get sewn up without any anesthetic and only held my son for about a minute before they realised what was happening.

So I've decided this time I'm going to go with the flow that way if they will let me use the pool and it's free then I may give it a go. I want them to do whatever they think is best for me and the baby. I don't see the point in them asking me if it's ok to do an episiotomy mainly as by that stage all I wanted was my baby and if they had asked me if it was ok to use a rusty chaninsaw on my bits to get him out safely I'd have agreed, so why put myself under added stress?!?

My only advice is don't get to caught up in having the 'perfect birth'. Things in life very rarely go to plan and if you have your heart set on things happening a certain way then you could be in for one hell of a shock. I'd advise having a talk to your husband about what you would like in an ideal world, but leave the final decisions to the professionals.

Thought provoking thread - thanks for sharing. I'm starting to think about a birth plan so good to read what others are writing. Good point though to be open to change on the day. xx

mine basically consists of skin to skin, preferably water birth. hubby to tell me sex and to cut cord

Great plan! I'm definitely going to be using yours as a guideline when I do up mine in the next couple of weeks! :)

thanks for the comments, I know things may not go to plan but I think if I put down what I would ideally like it helps me feel a bit more in control at the moment. My sister had her little boy at week 34+3 and so everything was out of her hands so I am prepared that this may happen and like you said Noodles its just important to get baby out safely. I wanted to be told what was happening not just for me but also for hubbie as I can imagine standing there feeling helpless must be scary so at least if we have a plan we have discussed things and know what ideally we would like. I probably will be crying out for pain relief at 4cm he he xxx:blush:

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
gaiangel
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->