My Birth Story! Over due, Induced, Cleft Lip and Palate. Positive :) Pics

TTCFlorea

Reaction score
My Birth Story of Our Son Aidan Lee Florea

Our last office appointment was set to be November 1st at 1:30 and if we made it to that we were scheduled to be induced that night at 8:00 PM. Well our due date of October 29th came and went and we made it to that appointment on the 1st. Our doctor said that we could check in at 4:00 PM and get started early. We hurried home and got everything in the car and headed into labor and delivery.

I was quickly hooked up to a pitocin drip at about 5:30PM. At this point I was sitting at about 1 to 1 ½ cm dilation. I was started on a low dose to see if it would just kick me into labor. Throughout the night the nurses were coming in and out checking my vitals, adjusting the monitors and slowly turning up the Pitocin. Around 4 AM they turned down the drip because I was contracting too close together. So when my doctor came in at 6AM I figured that I would have made a lot of progression with over 12 hours on Pitocin by then. But no. I was very sad to hear the doctor say sorry but still at 2 cm. He then broke my water and said we would probably be there all day. Before he left he did tell the nurse to order the epidural. And thank god he did, about five minutes later I was contracting so hard in my back that I thought I was going to die! With our first child I had no pain relief and was very concerned about pain management this time around. I told the nurse that I needed something while I was waiting for the epidural. I was given a shot of fentanyl. Best thing ever! I was instantly in no pain and calm. It only last for about 15 minutes but in that time I was given the epidural and was resting comfortably.

My doctor came back in at 8AM and let me know I was now at 6 cm and he thought that it would be closer to noon now and not all day. I couldn’t believe it! So back to resting and hanging out. Really was nice and calm and looking back was probably the most comfortable time in the hospital. At about 10:30 one of the nurses came in and asked how I was doing, I let her know that I was fine but had started feeling a dull pain in my left hip and was kind of worried that my epidural might be wearing off. She said it would be a good idea just to check and see if I was ready. I would of bet money that there is no way that I would be 10 cm and ready. But yep I was. The nurse walked away saying don’t push, don’t cough don’t do anything until she could page the doctor. I was shocked. My husband and I just looked at each other and could not believe it was time.

We had found out at our 20 week ultrasound that our son was going to be born with a cleft lip and palate but never did get a great picture of his lip to know what to expect. We were both very scared to finally be at this point and excited to meet our son that we had been waiting for. At 10:45 Doctor was there and I started to push. It was strange pushing yet not feeling anything. I pushed for 30 minutes and delivered our beautiful son Aidan at 11:15 AM on November 2nd. He was 8 lbs 10 oz and 21 inches long. Less than 24 hours later I was walking around the room and feeling well. I have been healing wonderfully and feel amazing.

His cleft lip ended up being a complete bilateral cleft lip and palate. Two hours after delivery he was eating with the Haberman feeder nipple and doing great! He is now 13 days old and as of yesterday has only lost 5 oz since birth. We are working with a Cleft Clinic at OHSU hospital in Portland Oregon and couldn’t be happier with our plan of action for surgery. Aidan was fitted for a NAM implant that is scheduled to be placed on December 5th.We also already started the tape down system, where we use special tape to help move his cleft back into place to help keep everything together. Which he isn't bothered by at all. He will then have to be seen once a week until surgery between 4-5 months. As scary as pregnancy is and the stories that you hear about induction and delivery I would of done it 10 times again to get our little boy. I look forward to the next few weeks that I get to be home with him. Thank you to all the wonderful ladies that have been on here throughout that the last 10 months! Can’t believe I’m not pregnant anymore..

Attachments

• 836.jpg
    836.jpg
    17.3 KB · Views: 237
  • 837.jpg
    837.jpg
    43.1 KB · Views: 189
  • 779.jpg
    779.jpg
    21.8 KB · Views: 242
aw he's gorgeous hunni, congratulations xxx

I have been induced with the pitocin drip 2 times now, it causes very hard labour. You pushed him out quickly considering you couldn't feel anything. Congratulations, he is too cute and I am glad he is not struggling with the feeding. Welcome little man!!!

he's absolutely gorgeous! Happy you found a hospital to work with his cleft lip, he's gorgeous regardless though. I love the picture of him hugging his sock monkey:) Please keep us posted on his progress:)

Congratulations on the birth of your beautiful little boy. He looks so sweet! My niece was born with a cleft lip and the surgeons were amazing, so I have no doubt that your little darling will have the best care, too. Good luck with everything!! I love reading about positive birth stories!! xx

Congratulations!! So glad you're both doing well xxx

Oh, he is just gorgeous and his cleft is adorable! Take loads of piccies of his cleft, because once he's had his surgery you'll totally miss it! He's just an angel, congratulations :hugs:

That is beautiful. I am so proud that you don't feel bad about it and are only looking to the positive of everything and loving your LO. Congrats!

awww hes so cute! congrats loved reading ur story!

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
An1583
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->