My doctor suggested Mirena IUD

Jazzycat123

Reaction score
I had my baby 6 weeks ago. I am 36 and even though my son is my first I do not plan to get pregnant again but am not ready to have tubes tied and I am not good at pills and do not want to have a shot ever so often. My doctor recommended Mirena IUD, he said it lasted for 5 years and said I was a good candidate but friends have told me they are dangerous. My doctor said complications are set at 1%. Has anyone ever used this and was it a good choice for them?

Not sure personally- but I'm considering getting an IUD- as I don't mind the pill, but have forgot on more than one occassion to take it- oops. And since we do not want more kids, it would be nice not to have to *think* about birth control! Like you, I don't want to go through tubes tied... etc...

I do have several friends/co-workers that have the IUD- only one had any complications (an infection and had to have it take out- but otherwise fine).

I know there are two typs- copper and hormonal one that the hormones stay in that area and don't make it to your blood. That kind can also make your periods less (after about 6mos). I have some friends who don't even have a period anymore...

IDK- tough call... I'm hesitant more so because of the thought of having something in there. LOL. BUT- everyone I talked to says you actually forget- as you cannot feel it.

btw- here is some good info on both...

https://www.webmd.com/sex/birth-control/intrauterine-device-iud-for-birth-control

If you don't want hormones (like Mirena)- then get the copper one- it lasts 10yrs (or until removed).

I just had the Mirena IUD inserted a week ago. No complications so far, not even spotting, can't feel it at all...so far so good! IUDs have a bad reputation from issues with them decades ago. Complications now are pretty rare. Absolutely don't do it if you aren't comfortable with it though!

I had a copper IUD for 7 years with almost no problem. I say almost, because, at first I could feel the strings before they curled up, but that wasn't too bad. I opted for non-hormonal because I had been on Depo Provera for 3 years prior and I didn't like what the hormones did to me. Sure, I had no period, but I also lost all sexual drive. It got really bad. Anyway, I think an IUD is a good longterm choice. Just make sure someone drives you home after getting it inserted. I didn't and had to sit in my car for an hour because I had really bad cramps. They don't last long, but are intense at first.

My grandma died from an infection with her IUD and my sister got pregnant with one. We must be in the 1%. Either way, I won't ever get one.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
gaiangel
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->