My doctor told me he will induce me at 38 weeks if my SPD gets worse...would you...

tiggerpony

Reaction score
I had my 31 week appointment the other day and I have awful SPD - it's so bad I can barely walk some days and spend most nights in tears! I didn't say anything to him about it, but he noticed as I got up to get on the bed to check babys heartbeat I was really struggling and whimpering - and he asked how I was coping with the SPD - I said at mo' I am kind of coping but only because I don't have any other choice. He then said, if it gets worse over the next 6 weeks (I am now 31+4) to come back and tell him, and he will arrange for me to be induced at 38 weeks!! I was quite shocked because I thought they only induced you for a medical reason - not just because your were in agony with pregnancy! I am in the South West of the UK.

So anyway; would you get induced this early because you were in so much pain with SPD? I have always been against induction because of the horror stories I have heard of 40+ hour labours resulting in C sections and forceps...but now I don't know.:shrug:

Honestly, no. What's 2 more weeks? If you try and force the baby out when theyre not ready you can crop up on lots of problems :( IMO you're almost always better waiting for nature to do it's work.

I agree with blah11 2 more weeks isn't long really and if you are induced you will need to spend most of your labour on your back which won't be great with SPD.

I agree with the other girls, although saying that i suffer from SPD and can barely walk apart from pigeon steps, yesterday was in agony with such crucial backpains (was actually crying).

My advice is to put your feet up loads and rest plenty, thats my plans for when im on mat leave x

No, i had SPD with both my previous pregnancies, with the first i went 13 days overdue!!

No, i had SPD with both my previous pregnancies, with the first i went 13 days overdue!!

See, but this is what worries me; going over due by 2 weeks. Then it's not just 2 more weeks, its 4 more weeks and I will end up getting induced anyway as they wont let me go over my due date by 14 days. Also will end up having a massive baby lol! I thought because my doc suggested it (I didn't ask) that there was no more risk to being induced at 38 weeks than there was to being induced at 42 weeks? Apart from at 42 weeks the baby is obv going to be a lot bigger.

I am also being induced at 38 weeks. I am suffering with severe spd too. i dont think me being induced is purely down to the spd however, i think there are a couple of other factors that brought about that decision.
But like you, i am struggling, can barely even move some days, its hard with a toddler too, and everyday feels like a week, so to say "what is 2 weeks" to me that would be like a lifetime.
Everyone is different though, and everyone has there own opinion, at the end of the day its purely your choice, its your body, your baby, and your pain!!!!!
I still have a little over 2 weeks until i'm induced and personally it feels a lifetime away.
This is my 4th pregnancy, 1st with spd, and my 3 previous all came naturally within the 38th week anyway, so i'm not really being bought on much earlier than i have usually gone, and baby is classed as full term as of 37 weeks anyway.
As for the difference with natural or induced labour, i cant comment on that, i suppose it does worry me it may be more drawn out or something, but wont know until i am in that situation.
A friend of mine was induced last week, right toward the end of her 38th week, it was her first baby and she was only in established labour for 4 hrs.
my previous 2 labours were only around 1hr 45 mins established labours, so hers didnt sound too bad but like i say, everyone is different, and its down to you at the end of the day..............................good luck anyway

See, but this is what worries me; going over due by 2 weeks. Then it's not just 2 more weeks, its 4 more weeks and I will end up getting induced anyway as they wont let me go over my due date by 14 days. Also will end up having a massive baby lol! I thought because my doc suggested it (I didn't ask) that there was no more risk to being induced at 38 weeks than there was to being induced at 42 weeks? Apart from at 42 weeks the baby is obv going to be a lot bigger.

If you dont have any other kids to run around after then i dont see a problem. I admit i couldnt do it this time round with 2 kids aswell but when it was just me it wasnt a problem. If you get induced 2 weeks overdue the chances of it ending in c-section is reduced because baby is more willing to come. I dont see why you think going overdue means a massive baby my first was 7lb 13.5oz at 13 days late and my second was 7lb 3oz at 2 days early! Babies generally gain 1lb every 2 weeks so going over by 2 weeks isnt going to make your baby 'massive'

Being induced at 38 weeks could take hours especially if baby doesnt want/isnt ready to come plus you have to be in hospital from start to finish which makes time go really slow!!

Absolutely not! I was induced and it was the usual horror story with three day labour and forceps. Baby had brain hemmorage too then never fed. They couldn't tell me whether the hemmorage would affect him mentally.

It stops being a natural process very quickly and turns into medical emergency.

I had 3 failed inductions (at 40wks) & ended up going a week overdue in hospital & still needing a c-section despite them trying their best to induce me

its not pleasant AT ALL & there is no guarantee it will work if baby decides it is not ready to come out xx

i am being induced at 38 weeks due to spd not just because of the pain though but im on morphine and on perm best rest so they want they baby out due to the drugs! i have at length researched the risks etc so i am fully aware and have discussed all these with my consultant so feel happy with the answers i have been given! i will be going in on wednesday to be induced but i will get another day worth of prostin gel rather than them saying its now worked csec as i said i really wanted to avoid a section! i have however been induced before and it was 4 hours 21 mins long so i am not too concerned as i know getting baby out and off the drugs is by far the better option even if it means he comes via a section!

Lou
xxx

2 weeks is managable I think but maybe consider getting induced around 40wks. Baby and ur body will b more ready than at 38wks

I'd say it's a tough one to call. I have terrible SPD and sympathise fully with the pain and discomfort you're in, it does reduce us to tears. I know if it were me there would be a part of me wanting it all to be over with as soon as possible so that the pain would stop, but another part of me wanting baby to stay in until s/he is ready to come out.

I think for the most part, i would trust the judgement of your consultants. At the end of the day they deal with this all the time and will know the best course of action to take.

In the meantime, rest as much as you can hun xx

I'm being induced on Monday. Not for spd but because I am 45 mins from the hospital and last labour was 25 mins from 3.5 cm to pushing. This will be my 4th induction and I dont have any horror story. In fact all of my labors from the very start of induction to finish have only been a few hours with no problems what so ever. All natural births with no pain relief what so ever. Although they were very painfull, wanted a epidural but there was no time. I'll be 38 weeks and 4 days on Monday. I am usually induced at 39 weeks. All of my babies have been perfectly healthy and over 8 lbs.
Just wanted to let you know that not all induction stories are bad hun.
If it were me in that much pain I probably would go for the induction. JMO
Good luck

its something everyone has such mixed reviews about! like i said i am doing it but after a lot of further investigating etc i opted to go for it! i have had tummy support since 18 weeks crutches since 23-24 weeks and been on bed rest for about 7-8 weeks have been admitted to hospital also for me the risks of the pain meds im taking are terrifying but i have been told i cant now just stop them due to sending baby into shock withdrawal inside me so like i said its overall the best option for me! pm me if u want to ask any questions hunny
Lou
xxx

I don't see anything wrong with it hun. If you are suffering and want to do it then don't let anyone tell you different. 2 weeks can be a loooong time when you are in pain. If your doctor thinks baby is able to come out and is ok with inducing labour then why not? I know people will disagree with me but at 38 weeks there is really no risk unless your baby is already having problems. I had my son at 30 weeks through no fault of my own and I would have been more than overjoyed to have had him at 38 weeks!

Absolutely not! I was induced and it was the usual horror story with three day labour and forceps. Baby had brain hemmorage too then never fed. They couldn't tell me whether the hemmorage would affect him mentally.

It stops being a natural process very quickly and turns into medical emergency.

dont say that im being induced at 38 weeks for medical reasons and have never been induced before u have scared me now

your gonna get mixed reviews. But i say decide at the time what feels right for you and what dr says. Your always gonna hear horror storys but each situation is different. If you are in 2 minds bout it then why not have dr check at 38 weeks. See how ready your cervix is. If your dialated and effaced then maybe a sweep may work. But if not then do whats best for you and bump not everyone else

Oh dear. Please don't be scared by induction horror stories. Of course these things do happen but horror stories also occur in natural birth. Every circumstance is so different but induction doesn't always necessarily end up being the 'usual medical emergency'.

I also think if ladies have never experienced SPD, it's difficult to comment. I have horrendous SPD, resulting in my finishing work at 31 weeks because I couldn't cope. Saying that, my SPD has eased slightly since finishing work but it's still a struggle to do normal things. For example - we all know how annoying it is to have to go for a wee so many times in the night. Add in SPD and the nights turn into a nightmare. I spend most nights crying in pain just turning over to haul my carcass out of the bed to go to the loo. I've never ever known pain like it.

I'm not saying go for it, it's entirely up to you. However I understand why you would choose to go for it. Saying it's just 2 more weeks, yes true. But it's 2 more weeks of terrible and exhausting pain.

If it were me, I would not have it at 38 weeks unless my cervix was favourable. I would perhaps consider it more nearer 40 weeks. It depends on how bad your SPD gets. You may find once you finish work things get better and you may be able to cope more.

Good luck Hun x

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mummynugs
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"