my dr said its ok to eat nuts?

MrsQ

Mummy to Mikey and bump
Reaction score
Said all i need to beware of is...

soft cheese
and also not to clean the cats litter tray out!

that was it!
Didnt even get a due date and was laughing at the fact that my LMP was 26th March? Got confused as said no that means your due on next week and i said no my LMP was 26th. He then went on about Negative tests?? and that he would have to get me to take one if i had a negative but i said i have taken 9 tests and he said oh ok.
Being refferred as a high risk cos i have a pituatry gland tumor and apprently pregnancy can make it grow!

any advice as this is my first pregnancy and i know nothing!
x

I think the nuts thing should be avoided if you or OH have allergys??? i dont know. i just checked the Ready steady baby book for you and theres nothing saying not to eat nuts. so I'm not sure.....

Well you have to be careful about gardening, undercooked meats, too much caffeine, and really that is all I know. Congrats on the pregnancy hun! :)

Nuts are fine :)

I think its kinda funny how nobody ever used to have nut allergies until people started telling pregnant ladies not to eat them :dohh:

Congrats on your pregnancy! xx

thanks guys.

Still none the wiser lol only reason i ask is cos i love peanut butter.
Is feta cheese ok?
xx

ps neither h2b and i arent allergic to anything he only gets hayfever and thats it.
x

nuts are an allergy thing... as mentioned above. I eat peanut butter, almonds, pecans, cashews(etc). They warn you not to eat them just in case of reaction, but it's rare. You should google "what not to eat during pregnancy" there are some fish to avoid, caffeine limits, deli meat warnings... etc. It's all things I found useful... and we are all here to help anytime!! Feel free to message me with any questions, I love having Mommy friends :hugs:

lol thank you!
I am just so flabeghasted lol.

So can i have feta? I love a greek salad!
x

in the news recently in the UK it showed a study said eating nuts was safe in pregnancy. There was no proof that it caused eczema or any other allergies. With my last pregnancy i avoided them but with this one haven't stayed away from them

Taken directly from the Food Standards Agency website....

Should I avoid peanuts?

Serious allergies to nuts and nut products and some seeds affect about 1 to 2% of people in the UK. Your baby may be at higher risk of developing a nut allergy if you, the baby's father, brothers or sisters have certain allergic conditions such as hayfever, asthma and/or eczema.

If your baby is in this higher-risk group, you may wish to avoid eating peanuts and peanut products when you're pregnant and breastfeeding.

There have been some studies published recently that question whether women who are pregnant or breastfeeding should avoid peanuts and peanut products, because it may in fact increase the risk of your baby developing a peanut allergy. The Agency is carrying out a thorough review of all the research that has been done on this subject and will use this to decide whether our advice needs to be updated.

I love greek salad as well but have read that feta is a no on some sites and I have read that you can on others. If it is pasteurized it is fine. I would ask your doctor just to be sure.

ahhh ok thanks.
My dr just was a bit shite really i even told him it was first baby!

thanks for the info guys!
x

Sounds like your doc was being a bit useless.

Mine did give me a lot of leaflets including one on what to eat/what not to eat when pregnant.
The list is here: https://www.eatwell.gov.uk/agesandstages/pregnancy/whenyrpregnant/
if you want to check it out.

x

List above confirms that feta is fine

My doctor is rubish too hon. I found good info on the nhs website about what to eat or not x

All my doc really did was say she'd refer me to a midwife. For some reason they think that waiting till 8 weeks to get any info will be ok!
I'm sure not all doctors are like that, and they do have a hard job and everything, but if they didn't even give you the booklets for info that's a bit rubbish. By 8 weeks, if you carried on regardless, surely you could have done a lot of damage?

Ah well, thank goodness for the net....

its more likley that if you dont eat nuts then your baby will develop an allergy to them .. thats what my midwife said ..

she said you can really just do as you was befor obviously no alcohol .. raw egg .. or uncooked meats .. which i didnt eat b4 any way ..

she said it really buggs her that there are all these rules and reg about having a baby like dont eat this and dont eat that .. she thisk this is the reson that all these babys are been born with allergys and autism ETC ... and i agree .. i think the only things you should do in pregnancyis :
* take it easy
*dont eat raw egg meat
*cut down the caffine
*STOP drinking alcohol and smoking
*and enjoy your pregnancy in stead of worring about can i eat this can i do that

sorry about the rant lol but this is how i feel .. women have been bringing babys into the world for years and there shouldnt be rules and reg to a pregnancy x

thank you.
I kinda got the impression that he didnt think i was pregnant as when i said my LMP was 26th March he was like but thats when you should be due your next MP i think your thinking of when your next period is and i was like.... no it was due on 22nd april i have a 27 day period. He was like oh that was quick then. DUH!
I feel really worried that i didnt get any information and dont know enough!
This is my first baby and everything is all new to me.
So glad i have you guys!
x

Hey, didn't know about the nuts thing..seems to be a lot of conflicting advice out there..my doc was pretty rubbish..i told her i know nothing about what i should and should'nt eat etc. all she did was check my height/weight and bloodpressure and refer me to the midwife..in 2 weeks time...:dohh:

Pasturised Feta (usually all shop bought ones are) is ok. But you're more likely to get unpasturised in Greece, or at a restaurant. I made a greek salad this week with a lovely moussaka! (and i double checked the packaging to see if it was pasturised)

I would just like to add my own personal thought. I read more into why i can't have a certain food than just accepting because i'm pregnant i can't have it. I make up my own mind, if it would be a risk to me.

We're told not to eat deli meats because of the risk of food posioning... but women in Italy eat antipasta regularlly throughout pregnancy and aren't told to avoid it - as they're use to it the body builds up tolerances to these things! In france red wine a brie are given as announcement gifts as they're encouranged to eat/drink those things!

I think it's about interpreting these 'rules' into your own way of life. Eg - It would be quite risky for a woman to eat salami during pregnancy if she rarely at it before or a woman who likes peanut butter on toast each day could continue to do this as long as her partner wasn't allergic (baby could develop an allergy to them from him).

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
An1583
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->