my dr said its ok to eat nuts?

My MW said yesterday becuase of my Asthma I should avoid all nuts and not just peanuts. lol.

Makes you paranoid right??

lol thank you!
I am just so flabeghasted lol.

So can i have feta? I love a greek salad!
x

Soft, unpasteurized cheeses like feta, Brie, Camembert, and goat — as well as ready-to-eat meats like hot dogs and deli meats — may contain Listeria, bacteria that cause mild flu-like symptoms in most adults but can be very dangerous for unborn babies. Listeriosis, the infection caused by the bacteria, can cause miscarriage, premature birth, or severe illness or death of a newborn.

When made from pasteurized milk, cheddar, American, cottage, and cream cheeses, as well as yogurt, are all safe choices during pregnancy.

wicked so I CAN i have cottage cheese? I automatically thought that was a no no.
x

I have peanut butter on toast for breakfast, yummy

I think people are getting very confused by stating inaccurate facts! (ie:not all soft cheeses are unsafe and not all goats cheese) the feta &goats cheese debate is a long running one... rule of thumb if it's unpasturised it's not recommended.

Cheeses which are SAFE to eat in pregnancy

Hard cheeses:
Austrian smoked, Babybel, Caerphilly, Cheddar, Cheshire, Derby, Double Gloucester, Edam, Emmental, English goat's cheddar, feta, Gouda, Gruyere, Halloumi, Havarti, Jarlsberg, Lancashire, Manchego, Orkney, paneer, Parmesan, Pecorino (hard), Provolone, Red Leicester.

Soft and processed cheeses:
Boursin, cottage cheese, cream cheese, feta, goat's cheese without a white rind, mascarpone, mozzarella, Philadelphia, processed cheese (such as cheese spread), Quark, ricotta.

Yoghurts (all varieties), probiotic drinks, fromage frais, soured cream and crème fraîche - any variety, including natural, flavoured and biologically active - are all safe to eat.

Cheeses to AVOID in pregnancy

Mould-ripened soft cheeses:
Brie, Blue Brie, Cambozola, Camembert, Chaumes, chèvre (goats cheese with a white rind), Pont L'Eveque, Taleggio, Vacherin-Fribourgeois

Blue-veined cheeses:
Bergader, Bleu d'Auvergne, Blue Wensleydale, Shropshire Blue, Danish Blue, Dolcelatte, Gorgonzola, Roncal, Roquefort, Stilton, tomme, Wensleydale (blue).

Soft, unpasteurised cheese, including goat and sheep's cheeses:
Chabichou, Pyramide, Torta del Cesar.

INFO ON LISTERIA:
Pregnant women, can be hit harder by listeria, for the reason that you are more susceptible to everything during pregnancy: your immune system isn't working as well.

Symptoms usually develop several weeks after exposure to the bacteria, which can make it hard to pinpoint exactly which food made you sick. Symptoms may include fever, chills, muscle aches and back pain. Doctors diagnose listeria infection by testing your blood. Antibiotics will treat the infection. Newborns can also be tested and treated.
Listeria infection in pregnant women is very rare in the UK, only affecting about one in 25,000 pregnancies

MUCH different in the USA, food is regulated differently. Thanks for the reading, very intersting.

Have to admit - I have mild asthma and hayfever but I'm continuing to eat peanuts as I reckon avoiding them is more likely to cause allergies. It's a choice I have made and I'm sticking to it. I'm allergic to loads of things but if I allow myself a bit of exposure to them regularly then my body stops reacting to it (ie I'm fine with my horse, my cats etc but if I don't see them for a couple of months then I get a reaction). Based on this I figure that if I allow myself exposure to peanuts on a small and regular basis my baby would not react to it.

I guess it's a choice every pregnant woman has to make for herself :)

MUCH different in the USA, food is regulated differently. Thanks for the reading, very intersting.

It's very different all over the world tbh! That's why the best idea is to go on your own research mission on the net and find out why they're telling you to avoid certain foods....and make a unique decission for yourself.

As i posted earlier in Italy women eat raw meats and deli meats alot... and aren't told to change during pregnancy. And the french with their announcement gifts of brie and red wine... becuase they're told it's good for a pregnant lady.

FYI ladies ...Toxoplasmosis - You can only get the disease once in your life and once you've had it you're immune. You can ask to be tested if you're immune at your midwife appointment.

Peanut thing - I have hayfever and used to get ezcema (luckily it seems to have died down now). I'm undecided as to whether to avoid on the (unproven) medical advice or eat them anyway on the same logic as Blondie.

Think I'm going to go for the middle ground, I will avoid eating things that obviously have peanuts in - eg a bag of peanuts, a snickers bar or satay but I'm not going to check ingredients of anything else, or say no is someone offers me a peanut M&M. That way I'll expose the baby in very small doses and hopefully get the best of both worlds.

It is a choice we all have to make for ourselves and do whatever we are happy with....

Hmmmm .....

My GP didn't bother telling me what I could & couldn't eat, but then again he didn't tell me anything other than "a midwife will be in touch".

I don't see my midwife for another 2 weeks (yes, I'll be 14wks by then - disgusting, isn't it).

If she tells me I shouldn't eat peanuts & salami at that point, I'm going to point out that such information might have been useful a bit earlier on :rofl: I've been consuming both of those items!

Hi,

I too have a Pitruitry tumor, and am seeing my encrinologist throughout pregnancy to keep it in check. This is my second pregnancy though (well, third actually, but first was a mmc), and i was absolutely fine throughout my last pregnancy. It is definately better to keep a check on it though, as apparently, due to increasing hormones during pregnancy, the tumour can grow.

Good luck!

My Midwife told me no peanuts, other nuts are fine.

Although this article suggests otherwise.......
https://www.dailymail.co.uk/health/article-482750/Pregnant-women-told-eat-peanuts-protect-babies-allergies.html

I grew up in Spain where pregnant women are treated very differently to over here!! They are much more relaxed with regards to foods etc.

They have the odd glass of red wine, drink coffee, eat cheese, deli meats, eggs, nuts...

My Spanish friends were amazed at the stuff the UK says not to eat!

What people need to realise...we all ate before we were pg and managed not to get salmonella, listeria, etc etc etc...

Before I was pg I wouldnt eat shellfish in a restaurant if I wasnt confident they were fresh...so I do the same now. If I was served pork or chicken and it was pink - I wouldnt eat it. I wont eat pasta or rice that is being kept warm in a bain marie (one of the worst places for harbouring food poisoning believe it or not!). I wont eat fresh mayo unless I know who made it and how it has been stored (same as before I was pg!!).

I think its entirely up to you how far you take the restrictions. SInce whatever I eat the bubs eats, surely if I completely cut a food out of my diet and don't give it to her when she starts on solids, she is more likely to have an intolerance to it??

My consultant said from week 28 or so I should really vary my diet since it has been proven that the bubs will have a taste for foods I eat whilst she is in utero.

My mum ate everything when she was pg with me...and as a tiddler I would eat smoked salmon, olives, spicy foods, any veg she put in front of me...pretty much anthing really! (except lettuce, and I still hate that!!)

Just my two pence worth!

I grew up in Spain where pregnant women are treated very differently to over here!! They are much more relaxed with regards to foods etc.

They have the odd glass of red wine, drink coffee, eat cheese, deli meats, eggs, nuts...

My Spanish friends were amazed at the stuff the UK says not to eat!

What people need to realise...we all ate before we were pg and managed not to get salmonella, listeria, etc etc etc...

Before I was pg I wouldnt eat shellfish in a restaurant if I wasnt confident they were fresh...so I do the same now. If I was served pork or chicken and it was pink - I wouldnt eat it. I wont eat pasta or rice that is being kept warm in a bain marie (one of the worst places for harbouring food poisoning believe it or not!). I wont eat fresh mayo unless I know who made it and how it has been stored (same as before I was pg!!).

I think its entirely up to you how far you take the restrictions. SInce whatever I eat the bubs eats, surely if I completely cut a food out of my diet and don't give it to her when she starts on solids, she is more likely to have an intolerance to it??

My consultant said from week 28 or so I should really vary my diet since it has been proven that the bubs will have a taste for foods I eat whilst she is in utero.

My mum ate everything when she was pg with me...and as a tiddler I would eat smoked salmon, olives, spicy foods, any veg she put in front of me...pretty much anthing really! (except lettuce, and I still hate that!!)

Just my two pence worth!

I love what you just wrote and agree whole heartedly!! I eat anything I want to, I moderate my diet and try to eat a bit more healthily than before as I know I need more nutrients... but avoiding everything under the sun is ridiculous. I don't smoke, drink, use drugs, or allow myself 2nd hand smoke inhalation(nothing new from pre-prego). I love pepperoni, cheese, the occassional coca-cola(i was never a big soda person), i have prego-friendly sushi(its hard to judge fish), and I eat basically the same meals, but I use my cravings to steer me instead of anything else. I had chinese takeout last night: fried rice, crab rangoons, egg roll, chicken wonton soup... it was fabulous!!!

Thank you so much for your honest post, women have been having babies for THOUSANDS of years without the rules and restrictions we are given. They are just guidelines to be wary of in my mind... so I read it all and pick and choose where I trust/distrust the ruling. :pizza:

FYI ladies ...Toxoplasmosis - You can only get the disease once in your life and once you've had it you're immune. You can ask to be tested if you're immune at your midwife appointment.

To get toxioplasmosis, you would almost have to eat cat litter if you have ever lived with a cat. Its hard to contract unless you have never handled a cat, as most people have built up immunities.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
An1583
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->