My friend, alcohol

E

EmKem

Wondering what your thoughts are: How much is too much for a responsible adult woman and mother to be drinking regularly? I have two little girls, 29months and 10months. I stay at home with them. It's hard. Lately I've been noticing I've been pouring myself a glass of wine pretty much every night... sometimes more than one... at times, I lose count with all the half-glasses/just-a-little-bit-more-to-go-with-this-chocolate/leftover pizza/sex with my husband... lol. I don't feel hungover in the mornings. Bottom line: I really, reeaally look forward to my wine at night; how concerned should I be about that??

I went through the same thing a few years back, I got into the habit of drinking wine every night. I think eventually I had a stern word with myself and started to cut down, my dad was an alcoholic and I was starting to get worried that I'd end up on the same path (although I was nothing like my dad). I still LOVE my wine but I limit myself to a couple of times a week to drink it.

If you're worried about how much you're drinking then maybe try to cut back?

I think it is perfectly acceptable to have a glass of wine a night. If you feel though, like you are having a problem, you might be. Cut back or measure out 5oz and know that that is all you are going to allow yourself to have. I had the same issue in my mid 20's and once I started measuring my alcohol, I started to realize how much I had been drinking and it was super easy for me to cut back considerably.

Good luck!

I think everyone has a different opinion on how much is too much...some people would tell you that you have a huge problem, and other people would regale you with stories of their MUCH more excessive drinking and reassure you that as long as it's not interfering with your life, you're perfectly normal.

I think the key is to really look inside yourself and find your motivation for having that second or third glass. If you like the warm fuzzy feeling and the way it helps you to let go of the stress of your day, then I personally think it's perfectly fine. If, on the other hand, you start to feel like you're becoming dependent on it (ie, you wouldn't be ABLE to relax or enjoy yourself without it, OR it starts to affect other things in your life), then cut it back a bit and go from there. Admitting that you're drinking a bit more than you're comfortable with doesn't necessarily mean you have to give it up...you just might have to check yourself a bit. :)

And I think everyone who drinks has had that moment where they stop and think about it (I sure have). If you're self-aware enough to ask the question in the first place, then I think you'll be just fine, whatever you decide. The people with the really huge problems are the people who don't admit they have one - that's just my opinion, I'm sure some would disagree!

Yeah I think you're right Emmyjean. My dad never had that word with himself, he only admitted he had a problem towards the end when he knew it was killing him but couldn't stop. It made me overly sensitive about how much I was drinking when he died which is why I decided to cut down, so I agree I think its about what you feel comfortable with.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
An1583
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->