My husband wants me to produce enough milk so we dont have to buy anymore!! Lol

ashley2pink

Mom to 4 girls
Reaction score
My husband suddenly decided he wants to save money. He's been looking in areas where we can cut back. I have given my older kids some of my breastmilk that I have stored since my baby only drinks straight from the breast and I have no plans on ever giving her a bottle. So yesterday he asked me if I could just express enough that we dont have to buy milk anymore. I was like what? I'm actually thinking of doing it but I would definitely have to step up the pumpings because as is I pump an extra 6 oz or so each day. I know my husband wouldnt drink any though, but I'm actually surprised he brought this up. Just a few weeks ago he was weirded out when I told him I had given my 3 yr my milk in a cup.
Sad thing is I have a freezer full of breastmilk but it has that soapy flavor breastmilk can get when stored. I thought my kids were just being picky all of the times they would drink it and make gross faces. I dipped my finger in a thawed bag yesterday to taste and dry heaved. It tasted like a bar of soap. I then mixed it with some cows milk and some nesquik, took a taste, and nearly dry heaved again. Its so sad, because its still perfectly good milk, but the flavor is just not good. And no way am I making my kids drink it now. So I will have to give it to them fresh.

So, here I go making milk for the family!!:haha:

I actually thought about sneaking my milk into my older son's breakfast to see if he'd notice :haha:
I'm curious, how will you increase your supply? I struggle to pump more than 2 ounces per session. Also, what makes it taste soapy?

I think it's a great way to save money :D

It sounds like an awful lot of work for not much gain! Especially if the milk doesn't freeze well. Good luck tho!

I think someone once said if you dip the fresh milk in boiling water, then freeze it, it won't have the soapy taste? Something about the enzymes... Maybe worth trying... I could be wrong though :flower:

I would have mixed feelings about this. I'm all for human milk for human babies but I think if my husband asked me to do this I'd feel like a cow. I spend so much of my time breastfeeding my LO, pumping and freezing milk for him for when I'm working, that I can't imagine stepping up my output. I hate pumping more than I have to.

Aren't there other ways of saving money? Can you do some research and calculate how much money you have already saved the family by breastfeeding your children? Maybe I would feel differently if I had made the decision myself but if my husband asked me I'd say no.

I only pump because I have always had an over supply. I only pump a little in the morning and at night. Takes me like 5 minutes total with a manual. So, I figured a couple more 5 minutes sessions wouldnt be a big deal. I really dont know how to get to there though, I would have to do it slowly because I dont want to pump too much and then my baby go to nurse and then not have enough in there. I'm definitely not going to worry myself over it. I'm only going to express what I can easily do and if I get annoyed of it then stop. Im just going to aim for 12 oz and we will have to still buy milk. For me it has nothing to do with saving money, but more for the health benefits.
Yes, I heard about scalding milk before you freeze it so it deactivates the enzyme that takes on a soapy flavor when being frozen. It just seems like it will ruin the milk

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
An1583
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->