My iron levels...question ladies

ex0tica

Reaction score
Im 20 weeks pregnant, a few weeks ago my obgyn told me my blood work showed i was a little low on iron. I cant remember the number but it was like 2 points lower then the normal range, so not much. My prenatal already contains 27 mg of iron, which Im reading all over the internet is the dosage a pregnant woman should get a day. My obgyn wants me to start taking another iron supplement of an Extra 300 mg now. 300 MG! It just seems an insane amount to me, considering 27 mg is recommended. I know everyone is going to say the doctor knows what she is doing, but im having doubts. I have a feeling in my gut this is way to much, I cant bring myself to take it and havnt yet. The supplement is called pallafer

Does anyone think an extra 300 mg of iron is alot? Im just scared too so ive put it off for a while:dohh:... Any input?

Im 20 weeks pregnant, a few weeks ago my obgyn told me my blood work showed i was a little low on iron. I cant remember the number but it was like 2 points lower then the normal range, so not much. My prenatal already contains 27 mg of iron, which Im reading all over the internet is the dosage a pregnant woman should get a day. My obgyn wants me to start taking another iron supplement of an Extra 300 mg now. 300 MG! It just seems an insane amount to me, considering 27 mg is recommended. I know everyone is going to say the doctor knows what she is doing, but im having doubts. I have a feeling in my gut this is way to much, I cant bring myself to take it and havnt yet. The supplement is called pallafer

Does anyone think an extra 300 mg of iron is alot? Im just scared too so ive put it off for a while:dohh:... Any input?

My MW has me taken extra iron and clorophyll tablets (to boost hemoglobin) three different times a day. If you're worried about the dosage, try taking clorophyll. It's the natural alternative.

I think if your doctor has prescribed it you should give it a go. You might only need it for a short while.

Also certain things can help or hinder your absorbtion of iron. Getting plenty of vitamin C helps your body to absorb iron better.

Extra iron won't do any harm as far as I am aware. Supplements always make me constipated though!

Hiya, another one that my midwife said was fine to take with pregnacare is Spartone liquid supplement. I've just got some tablets from my doc (will have to check the dosage) which he said is advised as 3 times a day but I'm just going to take 1 a day to be on the safe side x

I have always been borderline anaemic and take a regular pregnancy multi-vitamin and a supplement called Galfer (I think it's 300mg), and it does help -- I've very, very tired all the time, but it's livable, I suppose....

best wishes

I've been taking extra iron since 8 weeks, Ive always had low iron and in pregnancy it makes it worse, I'll probably have to double my dose soon. The larger the baby gets the more it takes from you. I don't think you can get too much iron, you'll just pee out whatever your body doesn't need. I would take the extra iron, it will help with energy. And it will only help baby and you, wont hurt either of you

The dosage in multivits etc is intended as a supplement for people who don't have a problem with their iron levels (to hopefully stop them having a problem). If your iron is low, the treatment prescribed by the doctor is intentionally a much higher dose in order to get your levels back up, rather than maintaining them as they are.

If you find you get constipated on the tablets, then please please go back to your doctor, and they can give you something to help with that.

I don't think you can get too much iron, you'll just pee out whatever your body doesn't need. I would take the extra iron, it will help with energy. And it will only help baby and you, wont hurt either of you

It is actually possible to take too much iron. That is why you must keep it out of reach of children; it's very dangerous if they overdose on it. However, you yourself won't overdose if you take what's prescribed by your doctor. You would NOT want to just buy a bottle at a store and take a bunch, though. Iron is not the same as a water-soluble vitamin that you can "pee out." You can overdose on it, so take the amount suggested by your doctor and keep it away from kids and pets. I feel if your doctor wants you to take it, you should, and if you get side-effects like constipation, ask for something to help with the side effects.

I don't know if 300mg is too much, but just to let you know I'm taking 100mg daily (and I've got no problems with iron that I know of, just standard procedure for my doc).

Good luck! :flower:

My sister was severely anemic a year ago (not pregnant) and required a blood transfusion. The difference between a normal level of iron and a dangerously low level is not large. At 4 below normal the doctor started discussing transfusions. It may not seem like a big difference but to your body, and baby, it is huge. My sister wasn't pregnant and was so sick, she couldn't walk up a flight of stairs without resting. I can only imagine how much more important it is when pregnant.

Floradix in the UK has been made for pregnant women specifically. I think I'm low. Been feeling unusually tired and have dark circles under eyes. Hope Floradix helps.

NO!! take what he said seriously, you can get anemic while pregnant. i take over 600mg of iron a day because i'm 6 points below normal and i'm having a blood transfusion before in January. dont take the iron pills with milk because calcium blocks iron from being absorbed. if you ave any iron questions feel free to ask me

Take vitamin C if you don't want to take the extra iron. The C helps your body absorb more iron... there's not much point taking more iron if your body isn't absorbing it.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
An1583
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->