My lo'a gas smells like rotten eggs, why? *update*

cbass929

Mommy of 3 <3
Reaction score
This is the second time it has happened. His gas is deadly smelling!

He's been real gassy since I started ff him at 2 weeks old, so he was switched to gentlease formula (for fussy gassy babies) and I give him colief in his formula plus little tummies by mouth when he's really gassy. And we use dr brown bottles to help with the air also. But he's still really gassy most days

Why would he smell so rotten all of a sudden? Neither of my other 2 ever smelled like this ever! It literally smells like rotten eggs.

I've debated whether or not to take him to the dr before his 2 months appointment at the end of march because he seems to be having reflux problems which has caused really bad nights with a screaming baby finding no relief an no sleep. Last night he did ok becuase he slept laying in my chest and I was sitting upright so he wasn't laying down. The second I lay him down for any reason he cries, but he's ok if I put him in something that has him sitting up a little.

my LO has horrendous smelling wind. It's actually been written in his carry about notes that he has 'offensive wind', poor soul, but he is BF, so i guess it's my diet to blame
I was worried there was something wrong and had a poop sample sent off but it came back fine

my LO's gas smelled like that only it filled up the whole house and made me gag so bad then he pooped this really big nasty poop that sprayed all over the place then he was fine hasnt smelled like that since :p

Hope it's not the case for you but my LO has had this twice and both times she got a stomach bug a few days later:nope:

Lactose intolerance is another thing to look into if you haven't already.

Yeah lactose intolerance. It also sounds like it could be an ear infection? If he screams when lying flat.

I think you need to find a different formula for the farting. I'd see the doctor before your 2 month appointment, when you've got a bunch of things going on, possible reflux/bad gas etc. it's often easy to miss things like ear infections which would definitely cause LO to be up all night screaming.

Hope he feels better soon and your poor nose gets a break!

This might sound crazy but after reading the last post I got to thinking. My entire pregnancy I couldn't drink milk at all or eat yogurt, sour cream nothing like that becuase I would get so sick. Even after my ms had finally went away for good I still couldn't handle it. Could that have anything to do with lo? I mean obviously it was from pregnancy

Well taking him to the dr this morning so we will hopefully figure out what is going on.

Lactose intolerance is fairly unlikely. it's pretty rare in babies, and has a whole host of other horrendous symptoms. It could well be cow's milk protein intolerance though (which is different). My LO had it, and foul smelling wind was one of the symptoms, as was reflux and problems with gassiness. They can't really test properly for cmpi in under 1s, and it tends to be diagnosed by process of elimination. Holly was put on a hypoallergenic formula, and her symptoms vanished.

So I took my little man to the dr today he weighs 8lbs 5.5 oz at almost 6 weeks old :).
But they switched his formula to nutramigen (like I figured would happen) she said to stop using the colief ad little tummies for gas because it isn't working but said to get this stuff that really works well and after reading all the reviews today I think I'm going to give it a try even though its a little pricey. It's called Biogaia. Anyone used it before??

My lo is on nutramigen for constipation. It tastes nasty but my little man drinks it and it helps for sure.

We used Biogaia with our daughter when she was little. It is a probiotic and I never really noticed a difference with her. It was not a life saver by any means and we ended up only buying one bottle. It was $25 for that tiny little bottle that lasted 2.5 weeks! Once I cut out certain foods from my diet she was fine. IMO its to expensive for what it does

We don't have that in the UK. Some people swear by probiotics, but I think the Nutramigen will likely make a difference. If it doesn't, be aware that there are other formulas made from amino acids that will suit even severe milk intolerance. Holly was first switched to pepti (the same as Nutramigen), but her symptoms persisted. It was only once she was switched to Nutramigen AA that she was 'cured'. That, and Neocate suits pretty much every baby, but are very expensive.

It seems to be helping really well! He went to bed at 8:45pm last night woke up at 12:47am to eat and it's just after 8:30am and he's still sleeping. He usually eats every 3 hours, 3.5 tops through the night. I wonder if it keeps him more full then the other formula??

Yes it's is expensive, right now one $36 can will last almost a week. :dohh: but that's what my little man has to have. It better then my dd she could only drink the ready to drink one can lasted one day so it was $70 a week on formula for her.

But I talked to a lady at enfamil yesterday and she said some insurance companies will help out with the formula since its a special kind. She also signed me up for this rebate program and she's sending another sample can. We got 2 samples from the dr office and the dr told us to ask at every appointment and if they have any try will give us a couple sample cans!!

I thought you weren't supposed to let a baby sleep longer than five hours? I wish my son would sleep eight hours! He still wakes up every 3-4 hours to eat. How much does your lo eat? Mine drinks about 3-4 ounces

I thought you weren't supposed to let a baby sleep longer than five hours? I wish my son would sleep eight hours! He still wakes up every 3-4 hours to eat. How much does your lo eat? Mine drinks about 3-4 ounces

At first we couldn't let him go more then 3 hours In between feedings because of his weight but his weight is perfect now.
With my DS1 he started sleeping through the night at 4 weeks old and my DD was just 2 weeks old! I haven't neve heard you shouldn't let them sleep more then 5 hours :shrug: I'm definitely not waking him up if he's not hungry enough to wake up!
He drinks 4.5 ounces sometimes only 4 but usually he drinks the whole 4.5 ounces. During the day he does eat every 3-3.5 hours but not at night anymore.

The waking them to feed is only in the early day since they can dehydrate or get jaundiced and be too sleepy to wake to feed, obviously not feeding makes the problem worse.

Once baby has regained their birthweight let them sleep if they want!

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
gaiangel
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->