my midwife told me she will put my pregnancy at high risk

Discussion in 'Pregnancy - Second Trimester' started by kazb25, Jan 25, 2011.

1. kazb25

kazb25 Well-Known Member

when i went to see my midwife she said that because i have athritus in my spine she is putting me at high risk, im a little concerned about it as i have a bad back and im hoping my back will with stand the pregnancy and brith, but what im more concerned about is that i would really like a natural birth and not a c section and i have a feeling that because my back problem is on my lower back, they may opt for a section to ease the pressure, i have to see a consultant about it anyway so i wont know until i have seen them but i would be gutted if i couldnt give birth the natural way.

2. nkbapbt

nkbapbt Double Preemie Momma

I have it in my hip from breaking it when I was younger. And it's quiet bad. I am high risk for other reasons though (I had my son 17 weeks early).

I was told the only reason I would ever need a c-section due to my hip was if I was in too much pain to bear it naturally. However giving birth naturally would be fine, even with my bad hip. I am only guessing but....given that the baby pushes your hips wider and such...a bad hip joint is likely as risky as a bad back?

So I would talk to your MW again about it and ask exactly what you are asking here.

Good luck!

3. CeeCee2010

CeeCee2010 Mummy to Jessica xxx

My mam has a hairline fracture in her spine and only had gas and air when she delivered both me and my sister. Hopefully that gives you some hope that you can still have the birth you want X

4. Tasha

Tasha 4kids+2angels+16mc

My cousin has arthritis from childhood due to chicken pox's, including her spine. She was made high risk with her son, for the same reasons. She was 'allowed' a natural labour though, it was only when her son was breech that it ended in section.

5. soontobemom

soontobemom Mom to Emily and Jacob xx

i have discs which are degenerating in my back and i was allowed to give birth naturally, even had epidural due to high bp caused by pre-e. i had to meet consultant and anaesthist(sorry sp) before hand to assess me prior to labour.

6. kazb25

kazb25 Well-Known Member

aww thanks for your replys i feel better about it now that i could be allowed to give birth naturally