My Mirena Story

katerdid

Momma
Reaction score
Insertion

I knew when I was deciding on getting an IUD that I wanted to hear first hand experience with the insertion. So I thought I'd share for those who are considering it. I'm in the US, so it may be more pertinent to this side of the pond.

I had my appointment today (8 +3 weeks PP) at 8:15am. At 7:30am I took two percocet because I knew I was going to have cramps afterwards. Luckily I had some leftover from after the delivery. I'm sure ibuprofen would work too, I just thought might as well go for the big guns while I'm at it lol.

Arrived at the office at 8:10am, definitely was feeling the percocet! Was a bit fuzzy, but that's a good thing right? Got weighed, gave a urine sample (to double check against pregnancy), and stripped from the waist down.

My doctor came in and she explained what she was going to do. Insert the speculum, put some iodine on me, numb the area, measure my uterus depth, clamp my cervix back, insert the Mirena, cut the strings and done!

I laid back and was kind of nervous so wasn't as relaxed as I should of been. That made the speculum insertion a bit pinch-y, but as soon as I calmed myself it stopped the pain. She let me know exactly what she was doing. The numbing part kind of pinched, but didn't hurt a lot. Then she clamped my cervix back and that didn't hurt at all. When she put in the Mirena and pulled out the insertion tube thing - that's when it started hurting. Not majorly or anything, it just felt like period cramps. Cutting the strings was a bit weird, but again, didn't hurt. And it was done! Lasted maybe 5 mins?

She's having me come back in 2 weeks to check on it and to trim the strings if I need it. I have to wait a couple days for sex and I can't wear a tampon until after my next appt, just in case it messes up the strings position.

I lay there after she left the room for 5 mins. I was feeling very light headed and a bit nauseous. And cramping, oh was I cramping! I put a pad in my undies, and got dressed, then sat still for a little bit. We stopped at the store and bought me some juice because I was still feeling dizzy. That helped a bunch. On our way home I remembered I was low on pads, so we stopped at another store and I was fine walking around.

At home I checked my pad and there was some blood, but not gushing. More like the first day of my period. I'm still having cramps and there is a weird slight pain in my vagina. Maybe my cervix from being clamped? I don't know exactly, but it doesn't hurt that much - just enough to notice. Cramps aren't as bad now, it feels just like my periods do.

All in all, it wasn't that bad! I do hope it works out, it'll be nice not to have to bother with remembering pills or condoms. Plus after about 6 months I won't have a period, or it'll be very light, so that will save money on tampons and pads. They last 5 years so I don't have to worry about birth control until 2016! I may have it removed before then if we still want to TTC again.

Thanks for this post. I am considering an IUD myself at the moment, so it was really helpful to read about your experience.

Me neither dont think they numb it in uk wowzers it hurt xxxxxxxx

lol maybe im mard :) i do have cervical scarring so maybe its that or then again maybe im just mard :haha: xxxxxxxx

On Thursday the 24th it was my one week anniversary with my mirena. So far I'm liking it!

The initial spotting stopped that day but I had cramps on and off til Friday.

Was braved and dtd on Sunday. Felt completely fine and the *ahem* well endowed hubby couldn't feel the strings, which I was worried about since she left them long. Some men complain about them poking but I guess we're good on that front.

Tuesday (5 days Post Insertion) my period started. It's just like my normal periods, not freakishly heavy, not light. It is pretty annoying to have to use pads though - miss my tampons. No cramping with it though and no PMS which I usually have to deal with.

This past week I've been strangely happy. Not sure if it's to do with the Mirena or if maybe I'm getting a bit more sleep or what. Whatever it is, I won't question it!

Thanks for sharing. I'm planning on getting an IUD put in after my 6 week checkup. Glad to know it's not that big a deal :)

thanks for that, i m planning on getting one of those soon :)

Just wanted to update a bit.

Still bleeding... quite annoying! It's been a little over 5 weeks of straight light brown/pink bleeding.

My Dr did not remove the string she trimmed which gave me a shock. I went to change my tampon the day after and two bits of string the length of half a bobby pin was stuck to it! Was not expecting that.

I can still feel my mirena inside me. It's a strange sensation. Sometimes I think I can feel the strings poking me if I sit funny. Not sure if its normal.

I'm 13months in,four months ago my periods have completely stopped lol x

:dance: My bleeding has finally stopped!!!!!! Hooray! It's been 56 days of straight bleeding, varying from heavy red to light pink to brown clots bleh! That's 8 weeks of wearing pads every day. Thank god that's over! Now let's hope I didn't jinx it, eh?

I will update again if/when I get a real period :)

I was asleep when mine was put in Thankfully! It isn't recommended if you haven't had kids yet but I had such a severe allergic reaction to the pill that I had it when I was 21 and fast asleep :) I bled massively the first night & was kept in hospital for monitoring (again it was suggested this was because of not having kids). The bleeding stopped after a week and 4 months later my periods stopped completely. Never once had a problem with it at all, it was checked once a year by a local nurse.

My periods came back 3 months before the 5 years was up, started lightly and by the month it was due to be removed they were back to normal. I was terrified of having it removed but it's so easy. No numbness needed, it was just like having a smear but you feel a tiny uncomfortable tugging for literally one second and it's gone.

I would definitely recommend it. I went travelling for a few years and not having periods was such a relief!

Glad I ran across your thread. I'm going on Thursday to get mine I am glad to see that you ladies have liked the Mirena so far. I'll keep checking in on how things are going with it for you all.

I had a Mirena a few years ago, my GP was fine to insert it even though I didn't have any children. No painkillers, just lie back and think of England. She had to manually dilate me in order to insert it, that was not fun but like anything you know it's not going to last forever. Once it was inserted I was up and out of there and walked back home (only a 10 minute walk).

I actually felt the Mirena inside of me for about three weeks, and had cramping during that time as well, but very little bleeding and in fact didn't have a single period from the moment it was inserted until about a month after I had it taken out a 18 months later. Removal was swift and painless.

I will definitely get another one six weeks after I have my baby in April, and I'd imagine the insertion will be easier assuming I have a vaginal birth.

So remember that for every bad story about something, there is usually someone who has had a good experience, you just don't hear about them as often.

Well, I think I started a "period" or something like that. At the very least I'm bleeding yet again! It's pretty heavy and I've got major cramps - no fun! Hopefully it won't last more than a week. Fingers crossed for me!:wacko:

Thanks for sharing your journey!
It was def helpful to hear about the insertion process as thats something im worried about....would be awesome if i could get some percecet ahead of time for the pain :haha:

Whew! What a loooooong "period"! Started on Jan 29th and just finally ended today! 16 day long period - no fun! I hope the next one is much more normal in duration (or even nonexistent!)

Other than that, things are going pretty great. I'm not moody or hormonal. I haven't gained any weight. And no weird pains down there. :happydance:

So it's now been 5 months!

Bleeding Breakdown:

Nov 17th: Insertion
Nov 22 -Jan 16th (56 days)
Jan 29 - Feb 13 (16 days)
Feb 15 - Feb 18 (3 days)
Feb 20 - March 3rd (13 days)
March 22 - March 30 (8 days)
April 8 - still here! (9 days and counting...)

It's pretty annoying, tbh. I really want to at least go back to a normal cycle. I'm getting tired of having two super long "periods" each month. If it hasn't calmed down in a month, I'm called my gyno up to talk about options.
I also have been having a lot of cramps and localized pain, so not quite sure if that's supposed to be happening.

But no mood swings, no weight gain...basically no other side effects, so that's wonderful!

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
An1583
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->