my mum... grrrr

hellohefalump

Reaction score
My mum is so self centred... apparently (according to her) the reason I'm on medication is because I'm acting like a teenager and rebelling against her!!!!

OMG!!! The actual reason is because they threatened to put me in hospital if I didn't take it, because my depression got so bad I went into psychosis! I'm much better now and continuing to take the meds until I'm told to stop because I don't want the psychosis to come back! It has nothing to do with rebelling against my mum!!!!

For a bit of background... my mum is totally against medication of all sorts - if she had cancer she'd refuse treatment! Apart from anti biotics for mastitis - because breastfeeding is the ONLY way to feed a baby according to her.

I can't stand my mum, I wish I didn't have to see her but I have to because my little sister is only 12, so I have to see my mum, to see my sister :-(

Oh yeah.... and my baby is going to be born a 'drug addict'.

Thanks mum, you're so supportive. It's no wonder I'm so screwed up in the head.

Awww hun, I'm so sorry you're feeling so low. I just want to give you a great big hug and tell you everything will be alright. All I can say is I bet it'll make you the best mum in the world (for fear of making your lo's feel this bad)! Stay strong for your lo's. xxx

poor you :( i can completely sympathise with having a bad mother, i wont start going on as i could for hours but one example is when i told her i was engaged she said 'so what, what, do you want me to say?' so i def know where you are coming from, i think its especially hard when you are pregnant as well as everyone says how close you get to your mum at this time but thats really not happened with me!!

your mum sounds very overbearing and unreasonable. my mum isnt like that but i know my granny (my mum's mum) was INCREDIBLY opinionated on everything to do with raising me and my brother! eg, she thought wee boys who went out and played football wer wasting their spare time, so my brother wasnt really encouraged to do this. my mum totally regrets this, as he didnt get the social interaction with other kids which made him very introverted and shy for years, he only started to come out of his shell when he went to uni. all i can say is good for you for not dancing to her tune- do what is right for you hun. and i have nothing but admiration for you for putting up with her to see your lil sis. :hug:

I didn't want to read and run but I am sorry she is being so crappy towards you. You have to do what is right by YOU and YOUR LO, not what she wants. Obviously she has very strong views but she needs to respect you are all grown up and have your own family now...I have similar issues with my Mum and I have learnt to let it in one ear and out the other :)

I have always worried that because I haven't had a good female role model that I would be a crap Mum but I have learnt exactly how not to be so I can take that forward, as can you...and if she carries on being a pain then give her a quick slap :) xx

Oh lordy!! My mom gets quite sanctimonious on certain issues too, I'm so sorry she said that to you!!! There is no scientific evidence to support that there is any harm to babies born from moms who had to take anti-depressants, and they've done TONS of studies. Some suggest a few minor issues (slightly smaller etc.) but no harm whatsoever! If your doctor thinks it's best that you're on them, then it's best that you're on them!! Your mom is being an idiot. In FACT studies seem to show that untreated depression is much more dangerous than the anti-depressants during pregnancy as untreated depression has been shown to increase your chances of premature birth.

thanks everyone :)

It's scary because there's a chance the baby will experiance withdrawal symptoms when he's born... I really hope he doesn't for his sake, but also because my mum will be unbearable. The thing is though, I'd like not to be on them, but I'm scared my psychosis will come back - it was horrible and scary and if it came back and I refused to take my meds they'd put me in hospital anyway and force me to take them. So I don't have a huge amount of choice in the matter

some people just think their way is the right way and no other way matters... you just have to smile be polite and when there back is turned blow a really big raspberry... always makes me feel better :D

big :hugs: to you - mothers can really be a pain... and it's unfortunate that she's causing you so much additional stress that you really don't need right now! Hope things get easier for you! :hugs:

The thing is though, I'd like not to be on them, but I'm scared my psychosis will come back - it was horrible and scary and if it came back and I refused to take my meds they'd put me in hospital anyway and force me to take them. So I don't have a huge amount of choice in the matter

Aww hon, I understand but you have to do what's best for both you and the baby and it sounds like being on medication is best for both of you.

Tell your mother you'll have your doctor explain it to her if she insists on being so thick...lol

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
An1583
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->