My nephew ?????

nkbapbt

Double Preemie Momma
Reaction score
My nephew is Grade nine and 14 years old now. He is a good kid, but there are so many things about him that concern all of except his parents (or they don't seem to show any concern...?! :shrug:). My mom, myself, my other sister even her 13 year old and my husband all think there is something going on...so I don't think it's just me or one other being jerks..

I am curious what others think, are we being judgmental jerks?

Here's what sets off some alarms:

- He is 14 and does not know how to tie his shoes, he either won't even bother or just doesn't "get it" when shown, even his 13 year old cousin showed him, still nothing.

- He has since an infant hated metal, metal snaps, metal anything against his skin. He won't wear jeans and only wears sweat pants for this reason.

- He also hates certain fabrics and ones he likes he chews, his collars on all his shirts are chewed. Like so bad there are holes!

- He cannot write what so ever, he has to do everything via computer. Because his hand writing is just a mess.

- He reads a LOT, and is very smart. But he never pays attention in school, and never hands in his completed homework?

- He seems to not understand social cues, but this has gotten better with age. He is in your face obnoxious and admits it too. He likes to poke, tap and touch you, till you get super annoyed but doesn't get you are annoyed and won't stop. He doesn't seems to see the steps of heightening emotions most people do, you know?

- He has very few friends, but isn't a complete loner either. I would class him as socially awkward, but really what teenage boy at that age isnt?

- He is a know it all. He would argue if you said it was black...he would say it's white. It's really that bad. Even when he is told to back off, because he is actually wrong...he wont.

- He cannot sit still, some part of his body is always moving. And when you call him on it and ask him to stop, he says he wasn't going anything.

- He cannot properly eat with a fork and knife, it seems like just bad manners but the more I see him and we try to teach him otherwise, he just doesn't "get it".

- There are lots of little things a teenager of this age should know and "get", but these things are just missed and he just does not "get" them. It would be easy to say "oh he is lazy" but it's not that. It's kind of hard to explain!

- He is extremely messy, but not average teenager messy...like his room is clean and neat. But his appearance and when he is in other rooms than his own, he has no regard for order or anything. Like he doesn't even see it or again "get" that things aren't suppose to be in all over the place.

- He has personal space issues, beyond the poking/touching he doesn't get you are not suppose to be in other people's personal space, even strangers.

- He is very mouthy, but I don't think it's something he is doing on purpose either. We have all said behind his back, that he is going to get his bum kicked now that he is highschool..and it's not funny. But it's true. He doesn't get you can't talk to people the way he does.

- He is bullied in school, but doesn't care. He doesn't let him phase him, which is good. But he also won't talk about why he is picked on either.

- He wasn't a very social baby, and still isn't. He never makes eye contact when he talks.

- He is most certainly almost always in his "own little world". He can basically ignore anything and anyone around him.

- He has listening issues that come off as hearing issues, like you can call him 12 times but he won't actually hear you. Or claims he didn't. You almost always have to make it into his view before he will notice.

I know there is more, but this all I can think of right now.

Does this actually sound like anything? Thanks for your input!

Sounds closest to Asperger's Syndrome to me, I'd have him tested by a psychiatrist for possible placement on the autism spectrum. With the degree to which it is affecting his social skills and self-care skills, therapy would probably be a very good idea. :)

yeh it sounds like something is going on, definatly worth getting checked out :)

My nephew is Grade nine and 14 years old now. He is a good kid, but there are so many things about him that concern all of except his parents (or they don't seem to show any concern...?! :shrug:). My mom, myself, my other sister even her 13 year old and my husband all think there is something going on...so I don't think it's just me or one other being jerks..

I am curious what others think, are we being judgmental jerks?

Here's what sets off some alarms:

- He is 14 and does not know how to tie his shoes, he either won't even bother or just doesn't "get it" when shown, even his 13 year old cousin showed him, still nothing.

- He has since an infant hated metal, metal snaps, metal anything against his skin. He won't wear jeans and only wears sweat pants for this reason.-

- He also hates certain fabrics and ones he likes he chews, his collars on all his shirts are chewed. Like so bad there are holes!
- He cannot write what so ever, he has to do everything via computer. Because his hand writing is just a mess.

- He reads a LOT, and is very smart. But he never pays attention in school, and never hands in his completed homework?

- He seems to not understand social cues, but this has gotten better with age. He is in your face obnoxious and admits it too. He likes to poke, tap and touch you, till you get super annoyed but doesn't get you are annoyed and won't stop. He doesn't seems to see the steps of heightening emotions most people do, you know?

- He has very few friends, but isn't a complete loner either. I would class him as socially awkward, but really what teenage boy at that age isnt?

- He is a know it all. He would argue if you said it was black...he would say it's white. It's really that bad. Even when he is told to back off, because he is actually wrong...he wont.

- He cannot sit still, some part of his body is always moving. And when you call him on it and ask him to stop, he says he wasn't going anything.

- He cannot properly eat with a fork and knife, it seems like just bad manners but the more I see him and we try to teach him otherwise, he just doesn't "get it".

- There are lots of little things a teenager of this age should know and "get", but these things are just missed and he just does not "get" them. It would be easy to say "oh he is lazy" but it's not that. It's kind of hard to explain!

- He is extremely messy, but not average teenager messy...like his room is clean and neat. But his appearance and when he is in other rooms than his own, he has no regard for order or anything. Like he doesn't even see it or again "get" that things aren't suppose to be in all over the place.

- He has personal space issues, beyond the poking/touching he doesn't get you are not suppose to be in other people's personal space, even strangers.

- He is very mouthy, but I don't think it's something he is doing on purpose either. We have all said behind his back, that he is going to get his bum kicked now that he is highschool..and it's not funny. But it's true. He doesn't get you can't talk to people the way he does.

- He is bullied in school, but doesn't care. He doesn't let him phase him, which is good. But he also won't talk about why he is picked on either.
-

He wasn't a very social baby, and still isn't. He never makes eye contact when he talks.

- He is most certainly almost always in his "own little world". He can basically ignore anything and anyone around him.

- He has listening issues that come off as hearing issues, like you can call him 12 times but he won't actually hear you. Or claims he didn't. You almost always have to make it into his view before he will notice.

I know there is more, but this all I can think of right now.

Does this actually sound like anything? Thanks for your input!

I've bolded those that are the same as my 16 year old brother. It took us nearly 14 years to get an answer to why he was the way he was. Turns out he's got Autism, and D.A.M.P syndrome, and dispraxia (sp?). Although my brother is not EXACTLY the same, some of what you wrote was almost like you was talking about him.

I'll just add that things have got so much better since he turned 15/16. But he is still very much the above but to a less-level.

It sounds like aspergers but what I want to know is has he alwas been like this, or is it a new thing?

It sounds like aspergers but what I want to know is has he alwas been like this, or is it a new thing?

He has always been like this. In fact it was worse when he was younger. Its improving but not drastically. My greatest worry is he is 14 now, and at 18 his parents have made it VERY clear (to the point they made every room in their house bigger with renos but his..) he will be moving out then. I cannot even imagine this.

My dad works with the mentally handicapped and I've worked with special needs people and it sounds like autism to me

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
oneandonly
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->