My slightly traumatic birth story

startingout

Reaction score
So last Tuesday at 39+6 I went for a sweep. I had lots of cramps and a show and thought I'd go before the weekend. Unfortunately that didn't happen. BUT Saturday night I was getting more painful cramps and decided to have a shower and get into bed. 11:50 I woke up to wee but couldn't get back to sleep because the camps were getting worse. I eventually got out of bed at 4:30 and thought perhaps it was happening. I had a bit of leaking so at 6:30 we went in Yo hospital to be checked out. The midwife confirmed I was in early labour and the leak was possibly the hind waters but go home and come back later.

We went back in about 1pm as the pain was starting to get a bit intense but she thought I was coping really well so home we went again. Against what I originally thought my mum was at home when we got there. Gabe had taken the doggies home for us and we just waited it out. 6pm rolled round and I decided that I needed something to take the edge off. The paracetamol and codeine hadn't touched the sides for hours. So we went in and didn't come back.

I was checked over again and given gas and air (man that stuff is amazing!!!!!!) I was coping ok but at 6cm dilated I got in the pool (again that's awesome!!!) after a couple of hours nothing was really happening. One massive contraction later my waters went and the midwife noticed some meconium. Heartbeat was a bit fast but settled down after a few minutes. At this point I felt like pushing and my cool head went out the winter. I didn't realise I would cope so badly. I was so happy to have my mum there as well as Seb. They were both amazing.

After nothing really progressing I decided to get out of the pool as I was starting to fall under the water. There was more meconium and the heartbeat was very fast and I was exhausted. The midwife decided to transfer me down to the consultant unit. Cue a very scared Seb, mum and mum to be.

When we got downstairs there was a huge influx of people into the room which was a bit scary. Stirrups came out and I was scanned and put on a monitor to keep an eye on Bert. I was told to push as hard as I could but nothing was happening. Cue more doctors and a bit of panic from us. It turned out that the cord was round the neck and body which meant everytime I pushed the cord was pulling her back in. They decided I needed help so wanted to try the kiwi (mini ventouse) first before foreceps. Luckily it worked and after immense pain bert popped out and became Jorja Mae Donovan.

I had a 2nd degree tear and was stitched (ouch that f*****g hurt!!) but I was safe as was she. I had a temperature and because of the meconium we both ended up on observations overnight.

After a nice shower with help from mummy and daddy washed and dressed baby I went up to the ward. I didn't really sleep at all far too noisy but we were safe. Obs all night (well it was 4am when we got up there!) but both fine so we went home at 5:30. My mum and sebs mum came up to the hospital and then back to the house. My mum very kindly bought me a ring cushion to sit on and some lavender oil to help the healing. She got me some arnica too so just need to work out how many to take.

Jorja was awful last night. I think her head is sore (themidwife said that might happen) so didn't settle. Hopefully she'll be happier today. I'm breastfeeding her easily but obviously nothing really coming out so have given her a little formula just to try and settle her. Will speak to midwife today but I'm sure she's fine. She fed at 6ish and has had some broken sleep so hopefully she'll feed again soon.

Seb bless him let her sleep on his chest for a couple of hours (he was awake!) so I could sleep. He said he'll sort out the house today and do sone washing for me. He's so good with her. I put her in her swing this am and she was fine so hopefully that will be somewhere to put her for now when she's sleeping. I intend to put her upstairs once she's in a routine and sleeping properly but for now she's feeding too often and it hurts to walk up and down the stairs all the time.

Anyway that's where we're at. We have a beautiful baby girl and are both safe and sound.

Awww. Well done you getting through that. Sounds stressful for you.

Congratulations, she is here ok thats the main thing :flower:
xx

WOW, well done you and congratulations on your lovely baby girl! Hope mummy and daddy are well and getting some rest after all that! x

congratulations honey, sounds like you did a grand job. xx

Aww I'm sorry you had to go through that but glad everyone is fine and in good health! Congrats on your baby girl. :)

Glad to hear that everything ended up well in the end. Congrats :D

Congratulations; I'm so glad you're both safe now!!!

Thanks guys. Slowly beginning to feel human. Nothing can prepare you for it but it's the most amazing feeling in the world!!

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
An1583
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->