Nail Biting

Discussion in 'Toddler & Pre-School' started by Twag, Aug 9, 2019.

1. Twag

Twag Mummy to Elliot & Izzy <3

Hi all hoping someone can share some wisdom with me as I am at a loss, my 3 year old daughter (4 in November) bites her nails and to the point that she is now biting the skin and making them look very sore - I have tried the bitter nail varnish doesn't work, I have tried putting on glittery nail varnish and nothing - any ideas :shrug:

#1 Twag, Aug 9, 2019
    Last edited: Aug 9, 2019
  2. _Meep_

_Meep_ Well-Known Member

Did this all my life. For me, it was a definite anxiety thing. Nothing my mum did helped either.

I'd try investigating the cause of the biting.

I did manage to finally stop the nail biting when I was 19 but still bite my skin obsessively to this day. I am extremely anxious and it is much worse when I am having a flare up.

3. Babybump87

Babybump87 Mummy to 2 Princess and 1 Prince

I also bite my nails I hate it but like PP said it’s an anxiety thing and my mum tried everything too .

DD1 started biting her nails so obviously I thought it was an anxiety thing too, but thankfully hers was just a phase.

Does she do it at certain times? , maybe you could distract her with a toy etc when you notice her doing it. Hopefully hers is just a phase too DD1 was around the same age as your DD when she started it .

4. HLx

HLx Mummy of 2, Baby #3 due 9th Nov 19

Similar situation for me, never bit my nails but the skin around them was horrendous from biting that! I also chew my cheeks and the left side of my tongue to within an inch of its life wondering whether or not I am actually eating my own tongue since hearing it doesn't grow back. I'm now re-evaluating my own life :)