Naming after a granny

candycrush

Pregnant with #1
Reaction score
We have started discussing names and think we are agreed on the first name for our little princess, however getting in to a bit of an argument over middle names.

We agreed to have two middle names, as DH and myself each have two middle names, and I am very keen to have my mum's name as one of the middle names. However hubby seems to think that we can't use one granny's name without using both... Does anyone else think this is a problem?

I would rather not use both grannies names for our first, in case of the possibility of having another girl later on, and then we can use the other name then...

would appreciate your thoughts ladies! Do you think it is a case of use both or none at all? xxx

I used both as middle names, I honestly couldn't be bothered with the hassle of just using one! My mum died 4 weeks after DD was born and tbh if I'd known this was going to happen I would have only used her name. That and mil is as useful as a chocolate teapot...

If you like them both then go for it, any other daughters you may have could have your name or great grandmas etc name. If you're not too keen on dh's mum's name being used, remind him that she's already going to have his family name (I'm assuming here)

I used both as middle names, I honestly couldn't be bothered with the hassle of just using one! My mum died 4 weeks after DD was born and tbh if I'd known this was going to happen I would have only used her name. That and mil is as useful as a chocolate teapot...

that's very sad, sorry for your loss :cry:

I wouldn't name after mine or OH parents due to lots of issues

like my mam hates her name and hates MILs name because it was my dads ex wifes name lol

Im not a fan of either of their names lol

I know it doesn't help but I think only you and OH can figure it out

I think that its a perfect compromise to use your mom's and his grandmoms.

Im not into the naming after family (unless in the case of a tragic death as a way to honour the memory).

I'm named after both of my great grandmothers (first and middle name). That being said, my parents used a variation of their names. I think the variation thing was clever...it's obvious who I'm named after, but, at the same time my parents got to choose a 'unique'(to the family) name that they liked. So, the variation thing is always an option. :)

I don't think it is a problem to use both. If you feel very strongly about saving one of the names for different possible future daughter, though, why not make that known? It is still possible to make the other person feel special (we love your name -- we're already planning on using it for our next LO!).

Another thought is that you could use a name that is symbolic to either of the people's whose names you would use. For example, if they had a favorite flower or the month the were born, etc. It would still be a tribute to the person, but, you could save one of the actual names for the next baby.

Best wishes :flower:

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
gaiangel
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->