naming baby something VERY unusual..

shimmy

mummy , daddy and baby
Reaction score
Ok well I love the name, DH loves the name and its not going to change :) but.... my side of the family keep bitching about it.. my mum hates the name, its Iaean by the way ( pronounced yi-an) DH has a Welsh background :)
Anyway mum keeps trying to get me to change it and making snide comments like .. are you STILL going with that... name and other things . My sister (8yold) said she didn't like it and its weird (wonder where she got / overheard those views from!) She and her friends had a bitch in fb about it, I said to her "if he gets to an age and does not like it he has two middle names to choose from' she keeps saying about school , friends , everyone not knowing how to pronounce his name. I know this but it only takes one.correction, she spelt my name different and I had to correct everyone but I didn't care :)

It makes me feel like I'm being a bad parent and I should choose a different name. I know this is stupid but its niggling.. I'm not being a bad mum even before he is born am I?

I like it!
I know it can be difficult but don't listen to what other people say!

I think it's really nice and it being a bit unusual might well have an impact on his life, but I would think it will help make him strong and characterful rather than being a bad thing.

I think it's awesome you naming your baby a name that is uncommon.
:thumbup:

Who cares what everyone thinks, screw them :winkwink:

Oh btw, I have a "weird" name myself and nobody ever knows how to spell/pronounce it, but I got used to it over the years.. just another part of life.

I like the way the name is pronounced, but will warn you that my husband has an ethnic name that is acrually pronounced the way it looks, but growing up and in school was always a problem when teachers and anyone else tried to read and pronounce his name. Its still an issue and he's constantly having to correct people. It's just annoying hearing people constantly struggle with it all the time, so you may want to keep that in mind.

I think it's a pretty cool name. :) *Hugs*

It's not about your family. It's about you and your DH and if both of you have decided on a name that you both like, than that's all that matters. At the end of the day, your LO may love having a unique name, it's not even bad at all. If we all had names that were alike, it would be SO boring! Do what you feel is right.

I like it but my concern is that he will be in school and the teachers will pronounce it wrong and will kids make fun of him for it? I mean thats what my concerns are lol.

But I love the name Hayden and I'm dead set on it, and people try and tell me its a girls name. I know it can go both ways but I consider it WAY more boyish.

I like it. At least it's not a name like "Strong" or "Prince" like some wacky celeb name! Loads of people have names spelt differently. As for ur 8yr old sister, did u really expect her to understand something like naming a baby/having a baby? She's 8. Unless ur calling it Justin or Robbie she prob wouldn't approve

its entirely up to you what you choose to name your own child dont let anyone else influence you if you love the name go for it :) x

just tell them you changed it to "Saber" rofl.. that's our name. who the heck cares, it's your baby and i think it's nice!

Being welsh myself I don't find it a strange name or did anybody take the piss out of the one lad called it in my school.

I would tell everybody to leave you and your hubby alone and that it's your baby to name, and they had/have their choice as and when they become parents themselves.

The lad I was in school with spelt his Ieuan

I feel your pain Hun my sister is doing the exact sane thing with my name choice but me being me the more she slags it off the more determined it makes me not to change my mind haha

Im very into different names, so this time I learned not to tell anyone of planned name because I KNOW people will ruin it for us.

I have no problem with the name you have chosen, refuseto discuss it with people, once Iaean is here people will be too wrapped up im his cuteness to bitch about his name. X

I think it's a lovely name. Go with your heart, it's your choice, no-one else's.

I wouldn't have even told them in the first place.

Only myself and my hubby know what our little girl's name is, we've refused to tell anyone, no matter how much they beg lol. We haven't even told our son!
Well the only person who DOES know is my midwife, she asked me yesterday and I wanted to gauge her reaction. She won't tell anyone. It's a "normal" name but even she hasn't heard it for ages and ages. As long as she is a she, we have chosen well.

Love the name personally, infact I know of a few of them in the area I am living now, along with some other really lovely welsh names which I would possibly not consider the "norm"

Been trying to find a good welsh girls name for the little bundle but can't find one that I either like or of a child I know

I called my daughter Phoebe which to me is a nice and normal name but still people bitched about and said they couldnt spell it etc.

Call him what you want, he's your child at the end of the day, both my Grans have told me they dont like Jacob - tough tits
xx

You should name your baby what you want! When I told everyone what we are going to name the baby NO ONE liked it, until I told them that it was Gaelic for "little wolf" and then my uncle who loves wolves, said he loved it! I know that some people will have trouble pronouncing it, especially here in America, probably not so much elsewhere, but most people have mispronounced my name my whole life and I just correct them and it's really not that big of a deal. If you don't name him what you want, you might regret it later too.

BTW, I know you explained it, but I still don't know how you pronounce it. Is it Yee-an or Yi (rhymes with eye) -an?

I don't think it's *that* out-there :) x

I also have an 'unusual' name - my mum particularly chose one that couldn't be shortened to anything 'normal', either.

I'd say the most significant issue, is that you'll likely be the 'only one' - which can be a curse or a blessing, depending on whether you're being remembered for good or bad reasons ;)

Pronunciation/spelling has never really bothered me - I quite like seeing what people come up with ;)

I have had a few "where are you from, then?" questions (rather than, where is the name from (it's hebrew)). What's interesting is that some seem 'disappointed' when I say I'm just a boring english woman, whereas others seem 'relieved' - so I learn a little about their prejudices, when they ask... ;)

I love the name, there are about 5 Ieuan's around where I live so it's not unusual here. I think if you like it that you should go with it. I had people making comments about names I had chosen and even now I love the name I have gone with, I'm still a bit annoyed that I let so many people put me off previous names.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
gaiangel
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->