Naming my daughter Loki?

Asgard

Reaction score
Now I'm posting this on Waiting to Try because I'm only seventeen and I'm definately not trying to have a baby, lol, I just wanted some legit opinions about this baby name. My friends and I were talking about it the other night and I have so many names that I like, and one of them for a little girl is Loki Arianna...and I've been discouraged by many for wanting to use it but I think it's pretty. My only problem seems to be that my friends are all, you only want to name her Loki because you're in love with Tom Hiddleston and the fact that Loki is a boy in mythology and in Marvel comics put them off. Before I go any further I will say that yes, I AM in love with Tom Hiddleston and his portrayal of Loki, but honestly thats not my only reasoning. When I fell for Marvel's Loki (and I fell hard) I decided to do all sorts of research, and for the last year or so I've been reading and researching all about Loki the Norse god, and both versions of Loki are so intiguing and interesting. I'm just fascinated by it all and Loki did take the fom of a women in some of the myths...and to me it sounds feminine. I just dont see there being much wrong with naming a little girl after the one of the most important Gods in Norse history, I mean, without Loki so much never would have happened. What do you guys think and is it good for a girl? Thanks ;)

I like the name, and since I'm from Sweden, I'm well familiar with Loki (or Loke as we Swedes call him). :)

I'm not sure wether it's "suitable" (sorry for lack of better word, it's almost 3 am here in Sweden) as a female name, even though he did transform into female characters...

I don't know where you're from, but how's the name status in your country? In Sweden, there are hardly none (if any) that's called Loki (or Loke) as a female. :/

If you love it then go for it. I personally much prefer it as a boy's name, but plenty of people name their girls traditionally male names. :)

I'm from America, no one is named Loki here to be honest. But I've seen NameBerry statistics that say that Loki is only one percent popular for a boy in weeks past but thirty four percent popular for a girl. I'm not sure about how the name will be percieved here though, most people only know Loki due to The Avenger's. Thank you so much for the reply! I'm glad you like it, even if only for a boys name :D

Thank you :) I like it as both a boy and girl name to be honest, but I thought it would be weird to name a son that considering how much I love Avenger's Loki LOL. That and I always thought if I had a son I'd name him Stefan

Go with what you want! Your friends are your friends - who knows where they might be in 10 years time? Your baby is yours forever. We're naming our daughter Pixie and have gotten a lot of stick for it but I honestly don't care :thumbup:

As a complement to my previous post: I agree with all, and even though it's considered a boy's name, it's your baby and if Loki is right for you - go for it. :)

Thanks to all you guys, I really feel better about it now :)

Everyone is forever going to have their own opinions on EVERYTHING. If you love it and it MEANS something to you, go for it (hopefully years down the road). It will mean more to you and to baby to have a name that has meaning. :)

I think it's a beautiful name! And just from the sound of it alone (I'm in the UK, don't know if that makes a difference to my perception) I prefer it as a girls name by far. Loki Arianna is gorgeous, I'm jealous! I've been trying to name my little girl and she's due in 6 weeks hehehe.
Everyone has opinions and as all mumma's and future mumma's will likely tell you, just ignore the crap out of them :haha:

I really like it! It's pretty and unique!

Once you actually become pregnant, people will start getting up in your business about EVERYTHING, from how you'll feed her, to how warmly she's dressed, to how well her face has been washed, how long her nails are...blah, blah, BLAH! There is something about babies that makes people behave like nosy crazy people. I hope you're ready. :rofl:

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
An1583
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->