Nappies always smell

hubbabubba

Mum to 2 girlies
Reaction score
I wash my nappies on a 40deg, use fairy liquid non bio and vinegar in the conditoner draw.

Every 4th/5th wash I do a 60deg to strip them

I dry pail, and wash every two days.

Now they come out smelling fine, but as soon as she wees its stinks.
I am in a workshop most of the day and shes with me so I have been using enviro friendly posies (which I felt extremely bad about as I was 100% cloth) while im here as the smell is too bad and we get customers here!

I have to use vinegar or the smell is worse and she gets a rash.

She has been teething though, its been about 6 weeks of this and recently got bad again due to her teeth coming through.

Are there any other things I could do? or do you think its just down to her teething?

She is a big wetter too, so shes not in one for more than 2hrs (at a push).

Thanks!

I always wash at 60 with bio (ariel), my nappies smell nice and fresh.

Sounds like ammonia build up. What diapers do you use? You might try an extra rinse just to be sure all of the detergent is coming out and use vinegar in that rinse?

Mine smell quite bad also, am thinking about bleeching the inner bits to see if that works :shrug:

Maybe mine don't smell because it's only been one month since I've been using them :shrug:but they definitly look cleaner and smell nicer since switching to bio. Aren't soiled nappies supposed to be washed at 60?

I always wash at 60 and with Bold 2 in 1 (didn't think non-bio was much cop and AE doesn't seem to have any skin sensitivity), with vinegar in the drawer. I sometimes think I can smell something when they are newly washed but they are ok when dry and when in use.

from what I've gathered from cloth nappy forums, detergent build up can be the cause. how much do you use? I use just one tablespoonful. you might need to do more rinses at the end of the wash cycle as well.

what nappies are you using out of interest?

I'm going to get some bold and see how that goes :)

i use bio aswell, cheapy tesco one haha, mine smell aswell though, its bloody teething, it makes wee stink!!!! bought some vinegar the other day so gna try that

x

I tried bio and it doesnt seem to make any difference, also use vinegar :shrug: Keep trying i guess :(

My BG are second hand and they stink sometimes, I wash em at 60 every wash with non-bio wilko' own brand eco liquid and water softener powder, every now and again when they start to smell I wash the inserts at 90 with some bleach in the drawer and rinse about 4 or 5 times and they come our smelling lovely

Yea i'm going to try bleech after christmas, but i have no washer right now :hissy: So having to cart them to my mums :dohh:

won't bleach ruin them? I always thought it would?

Its fine with the inserts...so i've been told and quite a lot of people do bleach them so i imagine they are ok :) Guess you just dont do it all the time.

As long as it's a tiny bit and you rinse it all out it won't rot them

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
An1583
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"